G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Shortening your suspension triangle is a no no!
    Not only tippier, but it adds a tremendous amount of force to the spreader bars.
    Failure of said spreader bars can result in serious injury...like a jagged pipe to your head!!
    HYOH!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,

EASY solution to closing doors Superfly and RidgeRunner

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    What made them obsolete? Just because they do not fully close doesn't make them obsolete. I've used mine in various setups and mostly what the doors are for is to offer more protection from rain and wind. They do both of these in various modes. I use my in porch mode most of the time and the doors on the back are perfect for more side protection. If you do not need doors then by all means get a smaller lighter tarp but for me it's always better to have doors for those rainy, windy nights.
    I hear ya...I just found the doors to be more of a burden to fiddle with. I am sure they have a learning curve but I think I would rather just have a 12' hex tarp for the coverage and avoid the extra tie outs since they don't close. I am thinking I can get about the same coverage with using side pull outs and having the corners pitched closer to the hammock.

Edit: that is until I saw this mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    I shortened my triangles and got carbon fiber poles.... I'm 2 hundo and it works fine no fear of snappage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwash View Post
    I shortened my triangles and got carbon fiber poles.... I'm 2 hundo and it works fine no fear of snappage
    Do you know if the carbon poles are stronger or equal to the strength of the stock poles?

I have no issue with shortening the triangles. All the reading I did shows that it's being done without issues. I think like most engineered products there is an overengineering factor that allows for a lot more compression than they are publishing. Those stock poles are tough.

The main thing is to factor in your weight. I'm 190 so shortening the triangles the small distance I described is not going to put more forces on it than the maximum weight of 250 that Warbonnet publishes. They have to overengineer it already for probably 300 lbs to have a safety factor built in.

The other thing to consider with the method I described is that it will only be used temporarily as weather conditions warrant. I will be aware that I should be gentler on it during those times to try not to jump in it too fast or pull on the bars, etc.
    Plus I'm shortening the head end just a small amount which is where most of the weight is. The foot end has less weight and shorter poles already so I think it's the safer end to shorten. Plus it doesn't seem to effect the tippyness because your feet stay in the center.
    I'm not going to worry about it but it's a personal choice and we all assume responsibility with hanging in a hammock as well as hiking and any other event we do in life.
    But I do respect the worries of the safety minded. They seem to be the level headed people in this world!
    Last edited by TiedUp; 07-25-2016 at 12:56. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DigiSuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIYTQ
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing. I'll be testing it out on my next trip where inclement weather is predicted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12