Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My first hammock and first I ever tried. Im 5'11" 180 and I slept in one with my exped for 3 months as my bed. Its a fantastic value, for a ul hammock its incredibly durable and i even enjoy the feel. Cant say enough good about that little hammock.

Dont drink the koolaid on hammock length, try them all out, sometimes things just work for you, sometimes they just dont.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    I had never slept in a hammock before purchasing a Grand Trunk Ultralight two years ago. It was cheap. After all, what if I hated it? I quickly discovered that I loved hammock hanging. Slept in the GT UL every night for 6 months (I'm 5'4" tall), and while it's still in use, now it feels too narrow. I've since added an ENO DoubleNest and a Yukon Outfitters Double to the stable. They all say that they're right around 9.5' long. I bought an 11' hammock from 2T's Outdoors the other day (hammock, straps, free shipping) for $45, so I'm chomping at the bit waiting to see what all the fuss is about (if any) of a longer hammock.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I got one for my first hammock because of the cheap price to try it out. It is kinda short and narrow like has been said but is still pretty comfortable. I'm 5'9 160lb and have no problem sleeping in it all night. It may not be as comfortable as the 11 footers raved about on here, but it is still sturdy, light weight, and hands down more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I picked one up for around $12 on amazon years ago while still tenting. Really just an impulse buy to have somewhere to sit outside of the tent and rest, but not sleep. When I did try sleeping in it I did OK for a few hours, but my leg kept falling asleep. I could probably make some adjustments for a full night sleep, but never tried. Definitely worth the money for a backup hammock at the very least.

Now their parachute hammock? Crazy comfortable. I always choose it over my warbonnet blackbird and traveler.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    MWG Monster
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    various types
    I've had a GT Ultralite for about 2 years. Like a lot of folks it was my first foray into Hammocking because it was cheap and I wasn't sure that this was something I would continue with. I did continue, and I've used this little hammock (I'm 6-0, 229lbs) since then with only a short break to use a Yukon Bug Net hammock on a single outing. The GT is a great hammock with a nice feel that, like others have said, is short and narrow. I find that I can get comfortable but need to adjust now and then due to heel or shoulder pain that develops. I just spent a week sleeping in it, and while better than the old cots that others slept on, the folks in DoubleNests seemed more comfortable than I was. After trying out my son's wide hammock I recently decided to try out a longer and wider rig and just ordered a Dutch wide 11' netless. Looking forward to trying that one out and seeing how I sleep in that setup.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Another plus for these is you can hang under a 10ft tarp and pitch it real close during a storm. It makes for a really light setup.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/MSS
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I bought one a couple of years ago & changed out the suspension with whoopies. Then used it while camping with my son. I slept horribly. I had calf ridge issues and leg cramps. Personally, I prefer a longer hammock to get a good diagonal lay for sleeping. It's a great day hike hammock for me to just lounge around in while taking a break.
    It's not about the destination but about the journey.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Blue Poly
    Insulation
    Too many pasties.
    Suspension
    Home made
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    Another plus for these is you can hang under a 10ft tarp and pitch it real close during a storm. It makes for a really light setup.
    This is still my goto hammock for backpacking. I ditch the factory hooks / string then run a continuous loop and use whoopies and dutch hooks. Most of the time I don't use a tarp or net.
    Hanging out in da UP.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I bought one as I was getting started because it was super cheap. Replaced the suspension and it worked OK for me at 5'8". I spent a few nights in it this last winter. The biggest problem I had was that I didn't know how to match up a HG underquilt with a short hammock and I slept really cold at about 31°. I also had some challenges making a ridgeline work.

I think if I tried it again, I'd be fine and my kids love it. I do really like my 11' dutchware though.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Have had one for years. I swapped the stock suspension for whoopies and a ridge line. I sleep very well in it. (5'7 200 lbs). I recently made an 11 foot hammock from Dutch hexon. It doesn't feel different to me, it just has a deeper sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast