SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Do you actually have the "system"? Hammock, straps, tarp, quilts? Fine if you do, go use it. Get a feel for it as ENO is not bad stuff, its just not directly targeted to the backpacker, but more the camping enthusiast. Not that you can't backpack with it, but as you probably know, the fat biners need to go!! Get some mild weather camping in while you can, THEN start watching Shug's winter videos - not only is it all good info in an entertaining format, but you're left with the impression that if this clown can do it then certainly I can.

p.s. THEN you'll know what you want for winter time. Winter is a steeper learning curve for the hammock part, but sounds like you're an old hand at the "being in the cold" part.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 07-23-2016 at 12:34.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Welcome to the forum! Plenty of hangs in Wisconsin this year. You'll have the opportunity to see and talk about a wide variety of gear at any you attend. Happy Trails!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I started with a basic ENO single nest, pro straps, and the old, heavy biners. At my first group hang, my kind and generous new friends helped me to modify with whoopies, Kevlar straps, and some Dutch bling. What a difference! I can totally eliminate the strap bag in dry weather, it all fits with the hammock. I don't have a scale at home, so can't give you the grams. I just know it's significantly lighter.

Charlotte.
    Last edited by xMagnolia; 07-23-2016 at 13:27. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    ENO
    Insulation
    Klymit Static V
    Suspension
    Climbing Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Do you actually have the "system"? Hammock, straps, tarp, quilts? Fine if you do, go use it. Get a feel for it as ENO is not bad stuff, its just not directly targeted to the backpacker, but more the camping enthusiast. Not that you can't backpack with it, but as you probably know, the fat biners need to go!! Get some mild weather camping in while you can, THEN start watching Shug's winter videos - not only is it all good info in an entertaining format, but you're left with the impression that if this clown can do it then certainly I can.

p.s. THEN you'll know what you want for winter time. Winter is a steeper learning curve for the hammock part, but sounds like you're an old hand at the "being in the cold" part.
    Yep! A good friend bought me the entire system, as a wedding gift... including hammock, guardian bug net, rainfly, slap-straps. I started tinkering around with the straps and replacing some of the hardware with lighter weight climbing pieces (biners, cord, etc). Thanks for the video link recommendation! Most people think you're totally nuts when you tell them you love winter camping....

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Plenty of hangs in Wisconsin this year. You'll have the opportunity to see and talk about a wide variety of gear at any you attend. Happy Trails!!
    Thanks! I was pretty excited to see all the activity in the Midwest subforum. Hope to make it to one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    I started with a basic ENO single nest, pro straps, and the old, heavy biners. At my first group hang, my kind and generous new friends helped me to modify with whoopies, Kevlar straps, and some Dutch bling. What a difference! I can totally eliminate the strap bag in dry weather, it all fits with the hammock. I don't have a scale at home, so can't give you the grams. I just know it's significantly lighter.

Charlotte.
    Cool. So there is hope! If I can fit it all in the hammock bag, I'll totally be on the right track. I already ditched the crazy heavy biners, I think that was 12oz right there.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
    - Mary Oliver

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Awesome to hear there is another crazy Wisconsin person out there who likes winter camping. I started last year on probably the coldest weekend. Like it much better then the whole summer camping thing. I spent the better part of this year so far working on diy gear for winter. I have been trying to get my pack weight down but the best i can do is 20lbs, it would be awesome to get some tips and ideas from you, but I think most of that is dog food weight. what kind of dehydrated meals do you do for your dogs, I have a 3yr old Gsd that he eats double on the trail compared to home.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Whose crazier, cheeseheads or mini sodans? The latter sure do look pretty crazy! (whoo-buddy!!)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Welcome from the mitten state.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    Welcome! Is that your GSD in the pic? I have 2. One pup I hope to take along with me next year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12