Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

DL 1.0 ROBIC hammock

For a long time a DL hammock have been on my to do list and a few days ago I started the project. I did not take the easy way and all edges are hidden. When finished it will have integrated bugnet.
    It is big, approx 11.5feet long and approx 61 ½ “ wide (finished). Its early days and no ridge line yet but my first impression is it’s the most comfy hammock I have ever made Two layers of 1.0 ROBIC makes a big difference.

I did however get a surprise 1.0 Robic is very thin but when making the hammock the way I did (hidden rolled hemmed edges) there are many layers of fabric and then it gets really hard to sew (Mara 70 thread and new Microtex 12 needle) and almost too much for my machine. I guess it’s because of the fabric’s density (it’s a good thing).
    So far I am a happy camper and can recommend this fabric for a DL hammock.
    IMG_20160721_170816.jpg IMG_20160721_170832.jpg IMG_20160721_170848.jpg IMG_20160721_170917.jpg IMG_20160721_171029.jpg
    BTW its a # 3 zipper
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

That looks outstanding, well done. I've found that a 90/14 needle works better for me with Mara 70. I've had issues with smaller needles and multiple layers of fabric breaking the thread or stripping it to the core. The larger needle seems to make the right size hole for that thread.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Gütermann recommends a 90/14 or 100/16 needle for the Mara 70.

Beautiful hammock!!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Usually I use 90/14 but could not find them but the issue I had was lack of torque (power) on the machine and I could hear I was pushing the limit.
    Besides I am a tool freak that is also why I am looking for an industrial machine from time to time
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Looks great! Nice details and clean edging make the difference. Looking forward to seeing how you like it out in the field.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Snowball,

What a great looking build! Your sewing skills continue to impress... Did you leave an opening to experiment with an air mattress for both comfort and insulation?
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Snowball,

What a great looking build! Your sewing skills continue to impress... Did you leave an opening to experiment with an air mattress for both comfort and insulation?
    Yes, approx 25" opening 10" opposite my feet. The opening will be on the inside when i attach the net.
    Most of the testing have been made with my Therm-A-Rest Prolite Plus Large. Must say a DL hammock makes a huge difference when using a pad VS. a SL. Since i got my UQ its all i have used but i wanted the option to use a pad.
    Besides for the pad use I am still surprised what a difference the extra layer and the "extra length" makes. The whole hammock has a firmer feel but not in the same way as if it was a stronger fabric.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    That is a neat hang.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have had trouble with my 1.0oz Robic XL double layer hammock as well. But only at the beginnings and endings of the channels - especially the first two rows. I had the impression that the differences in height were the biggest problem. And you have to consider that the machine has to punch through 18 layers of fabric on the edges (if you do a rolled hem)! There are fabrics that are easier to sew into a double layer hammocks, but Robic wasn't the most difficult one. I wonder if there's a trick that the pros use to deal with height difference...

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have had trouble with my 1.0oz Robic XL double layer hammock as well. But only at the beginnings and endings of the channels - especially the first two rows. I had the impression that the differences in height were the biggest problem. And you have to consider that the machine has to punch through 18 layers of fabric on the edges (if you do a rolled hem)! There are fabrics that are easier to sew into a double layer hammocks, but Robic wasn't the most difficult one. I wonder if there's a trick that the pros use to deal with height difference...
    My problem was the machine's torque (power) in the same areas but i dont blame the fabric.
    If i ever have to make another DL i will not roll the hems. It was total overkill and made in much harder to sew because i had to guide two hemmed layers and the zipper at the same time.
    The reason i hemmed the fabric was because of the edge at the pad hole but it would have been much easier to edge binde these 25". Live and learn
    The whole hammock is sewn in the inside to hide all the edges and as you can see the zipper is between the layers so there is no need for any hems.
    BTW i got sidetracked so no bugnet yet.
    I am currently working on another DL hammock also with net but much smaller because its for a dog Why should we have all the fun ?
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast