View Poll Results: Do you prefer treated or untreated down?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • treated

26 42.62%
  • untreated

19 31.15%
  • Doesn't matter to me one way or the other

16 26.23%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WR Down poll

I shouldn't have posted what I thought I perceived. I don't know you and my post was not beneficial to anyone. Please accept my apology, the "dark side" won concerning my restraint.

Cheers,
    SCHammicker

Sent with very little punctuation from my iPhone

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have an English degree, and my comments should be looked at in that context. I'm strictly commenting on the grammatical aspects of the poll, and I see no reason to worry about how my comments on grammar are perceived by the tone police. I think the OP (whom I have met) understood that I was commenting for improved clarity; nothing else, and he did not take offense.

I value clarity. Brevity is the soul of wit.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've only tried the treated. I've purchased a couple of pounds of down from downlinens.com and it's only a $5 surcharge to get treated, so I didn't see any reason not to. I haven't noticed any issues with clumping or otherwise.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

So there is no definitive study of treated actually doing better at resisting water?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm not sure what to think. I've had many Hammockgear quilts over the years with different materials and down. The older quilts were 1.1 Ripstop with 900fp down. The current ones are Argon with 850fp down. All quilts I've had from them had the DWR. Those variations in materials could make a difference, but I was always warm. They just work, and they work well.

I'm not sure the DWR does anything at all. I could be wrong, but how wet does down have to get to make use of the DWR? Wouldn't it seem like you would need to be standing in the rain for it to do anything? I don't think moisture/condensation buildup is enough to actually be "repelled". Any moisture accumulating is going to leave you with a very slightly damp quilt either way, right? In most cases I doubt you would know it. If you do get wet, like coated with dew, I think that would be more up to the fabric outside. I could be totally wrong here, but that's what makes sense to me.

I keep my down pretty dry but the concern for me is ambient moisture (humidity as well as body moisture) getting into the down over a longer trip of a week or more. I would think the consistent compressing and uncompressing of the down would eventually saturate the plumes and make it less insulative. This is where I assume the WR comes in. If that is what it does I would want that in my quilts.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I keep my down pretty dry but the concern for me is ambient moisture (humidity as well as body moisture) getting into the down over a longer trip of a week or more. I would think the consistent compressing and uncompressing of the down would eventually saturate the plumes and make it less insulative. This is where I assume the WR comes in. If that is what it does I would want that in my quilts.
    I agree. That's what I'm wondering...if the DWR has any affect against moisture. In a product demonstration with someone pouring water over a pile of DWR down, you see the effect. But that's not something likely happening to a quilt. It seems like any water inside the fabric and around the down would be there to stay until you dry it.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I think one question is how much actual moisture by weight does DWR down hold vs untreated. And then in the end the only difference would be in dry times if one holds less.
    Keeping dew and external moisture at bay makes the outer shell very important plus how quick shells dry is vital. Sometimes the drying window may be very small
    For internal moisture created by the user, does DWR down transport vapour faster or more efficiently than non treated.

For me the ability for the entire quilt to dry very very efficiently is the most important factor. It is not like we are going to purposeful submerge our quilts so that spectrum is a non issue.
    No matter what moisture will always be a management issue, so having materials that absorb the least amount of moisture will allow very quick dry times....it is not about whether a soggy insulation package will keep you warm cause you never want to get to that point ...ever.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    "Treated down" is probably a marketing ploy just like "waterproof rain jackets that breath". But it doesn't hurt anything and doesn't seem to cost much more so why not? I hear Columbia OutDry is pretty close to having a real rain jacket solution. Too bad the jacket will be sold at $200. Gore-Tex Active is also DWR free also but is rumored to cost more than OutDry!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I prefer treated down as I live in the Pacific northwest.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast