Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner

Hammock Choice For "Side-Sleepers?"

My problem is that I literally can't sleep on my back. The moment I doze off in that position, I begin to choke and wake right up. For some reason I can only sleep on my right side. It's been that way all my life.
    Right now I camp with a Tent-Cot, but I'd like to lighten my gear load for camping further from the road. A hammock seems like a good idea.
    Can a person sleep comfortably on his side in one of these camping hammocks? If so, which one?
    Any recommendations will be researched and considered. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I have the same issue. As soon as I fall asleep I wake up kind of choking if I try falling asleep on my back. Some people can side sleep in a gathered hammock but i couldn't do it. A bridge hammock works well for side sleeping like the warbonnet ridge runner and is very popular here on HF. The Amok hammock is also great for on your side although it heavy for backpacking if that's a concern. My favorite is the 90° gamma ul from hammocktent.com. Very light and very confortable for side sleeping. Ive owned all three of those. Do some searching on those ones , you will find lots of info.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Images
    I normally fall asleep on my back but who knows how I sleep after that. The last four days I've been sleeping in a tablecloth hammock, 90 x 156, whipped on the ends (I've been thinking about changing that).
    The location I have it hanging isn't ideal, I think it has more sag than it really should.
    I found I could roll to my side with no problem, it's so large it doesn't take much to get into a comfy position.
    Of course it's heavy but would be better than humping a cot/tent and pretty cheap to try, no sewing required unless you wanted to.
    Might be worth a look.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Thanks for the quick replies!
    My camping hammock doesn't have to be ultra-light. When I camp, I mostly travel by canoe or bicycle. Weight isn't an issue (except for the Tent-Cot!)
    However, since I'll be mostly camping in Florida swamps, no-see-um netting is really important. I also won't need much protection from the cold.
    Keep 'em coming!

Images
    Hi Fiddler, I only side sleep and do it in every hammock I own bridge or gathered end. I find a blowup air pillow very helpful.

Jacks, BMBH-UL

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    "However, since I'll be mostly camping in Florida swamps, no-see-um netting is really important. I also won't need much protection from the cold.
    Keep 'em coming!"

I am a side sleeper, and I swear by my AMOK Draumr. The integral bug netting is easy to deploy, and the included tarp will keep you dry all except for horizontal rain.
    I too mostly camp without carrying things on my back, so the 30% heavier weight doesn't particularly bother me.
    You also have the advantage that, in Florida, you could probably get away with a non-insulated pad, so that would save you a little bit on your initial investment over those of us in the northern climes.... [the pad's what provides structure for the Amok]

g'Luck
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner here as well. I can't sleep on my back either due to back surgery so the Ridgerunner fit the bill.
    20160611_103548 (1).jpg

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I have a basic gathered-end hammock, an ENO precursor, with added bugnet. No problems sleeping on my side. In fact, I find it more comfortable than my squishy latex foam mattress sometimes! It's easier to end up in a sort of three-quarters or two-thirds side position, or other wacky combo that wouldn't be possible on the flat surface of a bed.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm a recent warbonnet ridge runner convert. It's an awesome hammock. I can sleep just fine on my side. It's light weight, breathable and has a really great bug net. Oh and I forgot to mention the pockets. Loves me the pockets.
    Another one you could check out is the Amok Draumr. It requires an inflatable pad for structure though and since you're in Florida, this might make it kinda on the warm side to sleep in. Great system though.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast