MI>JRV Jordan River Valley logistical Question

Hey all,

I haven't done the Jordan River Valley in northern Michigan at all, so my brother-in-law is coming in from Chicago and we are doing a backpack and hang 8/27-8/29. If we start at Deadman's Hill parking lot Saturday at noon from there then hike in to Pinney Bridge Campground, do you think we will be able to get one of the 15 spots at the campground? I only ask as I don't want to drive all the way there, then hike and be SOL.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to do the hike and hang!

-Steve

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You never know. It's $13/night for a site but since they cannot be reserved, it's up to luck. Will a big boy scout event be going on? Will it be frat party time? Or will it be dead and quiet?
    I'm sure people stealth camp, but I prefer to follow the rules since I'm not special

Check the updated map since I heard they rerouted part of the trail.

I say go for it. I'd roll the dice and bet they aren't filled up. Wait, see the good looking girl over there? She's willing to share her camp.

Worst case scenario is you walk back and find somewhere else in the nearby forest (camp anywhere) if you have the energy and time.

Sweet, thanks Mark! That's pretty much what we figured but just wanted a second opinion. Where can I find the updated map?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
    Sweet, thanks Mark! That's pretty much what we figured but just wanted a second opinion. Where can I find the updated map?
    I see it's for sale online here: http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/jor...ver-pathway-36 but I'm cheap and usually find something online. But now I like to use my phone and a GPS app anyway.

A note on the map: the one that Mark linked I'm not sure is updated with the trail reroute. If you go to the North Country Trail website at look for the local chapter ( I think its Traverse City area) you may find the updated map for free

Hang spots: best ones are #3 and #4, on the right side at the base of the hill. When you enter the campground from more or less the north, go right and they're pretty close. We do our Gluttony Hang there and if you search for it in the forums, you'll see photos from our spots. It's going to be hit and miss whether or not it will filled up. Usually when I do the loop I'm in the lot and on the trail by 8 just to make sure I get a spot. You'll get a good idea when you arrive at Deadmans Hill. One time I drove up friday night late at stealth camped near the parking lot to get an early start. May be worth it to maximize the weekend.

I see you're from my neck of the woods. The weekend of July 29th, a bunch of us are getting together near Grayling at Jones Lake State Forest CG. Details in the trip planning thread. Join us if your free and enjoy the Jordan!

Great info, thanks!

We mountain biked the whole Jordan valley loop, back in the 80's. If your hanging don't worry about a camp sight. There is a million places to hang in there. Take Deet bug spray though or come back anemic...IMHO

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    A note on the map: the one that Mark linked I'm not sure is updated with the trail reroute
    On the official site it says "click here for an updated map" then takes you to my link. I think it's just the preview image that's old. But that's just a guess...can't say for sure.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    FWIW, my advice is go for it! If the sites are full, stealth camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    You can always arrive, drive to pinney bridge, walk in a reserve then go up to deadman and hike the trail. This way youll see if your night will be ruined or not
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

• + New Posts