Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest Siltarp

Carabiner instead of amsteel loop?

I've been trying to find a simpler way to attach my stock nylon hammock to my tree straps. It originally had a heavy line through the end, with a big knot and a metal s-hook at each end. While exploring solutions other people had been using, I narrowed it down the amsteel loop and ring a lot of people on the forum seem to like using.

Since amsteel line or loops aren't readily available in my area that I know of, I figured I'd skip the middleman, and just use a large climbing carabiner right through the hammock ends... since it's a climbing biner it's more than strong enough, is light, and has no sharp edges to damage the hammock material.

Does anyone foresee any issues with this idea? Or has anyone else tried it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I was thinking of doing the same on my NX-270 then putting the continuous loops on the biner for the Whoopie Hooks. Main reason? I asked Clark to be sure the continuous loops wouldn't be a problem (they won't) but they did mention they are so much tighter tHan the stock ropes they pinch the fabric which could result in a calf ridge.

I'm thinking of going carribiner or even using a small tube to pass the loops through that would open up the ends. More experiments to try.

As for the biker, its smooth, spreads the load, can certainly handle the weight, etc. Can't see a reason not to.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Carabiners will work. However, it's worth buying some Amsteel 7/64 and Zing-it 1.75 mm if you're gonna enjoy this hammock hobby. I've been hammocking for six years and have gone through at least 1000 ft. of both cords. I really don't feel comfortable unless I have at least 200 ft. of both around.

Last year I made a bunch of soft shackles out of 7/64 and 1/8 Amsteel. Amsteel 7/64 makes a great keychain; just saying.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Carabiner instead of amsteel loop?

I tried the carabiner thing through the channel a couple of years ago. I was using it as a modified 'single ring suspension'. It ended up putting too much stress on the end channel stitching and I had to retire that hammock.
    The caveat is that I was using a BIAS WWM (1.0 ripstop double layer). I was about 240# at the time.
    It might work with your setup, but as SS said, get some 1.75mm and 7/64" dyneema and start splicing. It's so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If you are like me and don't want to trust your own learning curve you can buy some loops from Dutch pretty reasonable.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've had loops on my NX270 for over a year now with no problems. By the way the loops and biners came from Dutch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Fox, how did a caribiner put too much stress on the stitching? Too thick forcing them apart? Am I missing something where it seems the wider and smoother caribiner should spread the load more evenlynthan the knife-like amsteel (by equivalent)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Fox, how did a caribiner put too much stress on the stitching? Too thick forcing them apart? Am I missing something where it seems the wider and smoother caribiner should spread the load more evenlynthan the knife-like amsteel (by equivalent)?
    +1 The only reason most manufactures use Amsteel in this area is for weight savings but the carabiner should be much less stressful on the material. Sounds like the weight was the issue and not the " suspension connector".

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Trail, I was thinking of the caribiner being too thick if the sewn channel was too narrow or close to the end. If that were the case it would act to slowly pry the seam apart like a wedge. Thin/underrated fabric or thread would exacerbate the problem. Again, my guess.

Tarp
    Aqua Quest Siltarp
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I agree.

I would assume a thinner, ever tightening loop of line would put more stress on the stitching than solid, smoothly curved carabiner. Appreciate all the input everyone. I've been using my cheap hammock for a few years for hiking and camping, and as the line was wearing I decided to replace it with something simpler, hence the carabiner.

I'll just give it a go, and report if I have any problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast