Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    It took just a few seconds to swap my coninuous loop for a locking carabiner and since the foot is the more pronounced area of calf ridge (never hear of shoulder ridge) I'm going to experiment with it just on one end.the channels on the NX are plenty long so I don't see them prying threading. Will take it out for a test this evening when it drops below 90degrees. Its not the heat but the humidity. Yeeesh.

Right after taking the pic I decided to run the head end (amsteel only) back through a second time to alleviate a little more stress. It just looked way too tight.

0719161102a.jpg
    Last edited by AdventureMyk; 07-19-2016 at 10:16.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Trail, I was thinking of the caribiner being too thick if the sewn channel was too narrow or close to the end. If that were the case it would act to slowly pry the seam apart like a wedge. Thin/underrated fabric or thread would exacerbate the problem. Again, my guess.
    Bingo. Wedge-like prying caused a small rip on the last line of stitching right in the middle of the width.
    Maybe a more precise gathering would have helped me. I was actually trying it out because I was having calf-ridge issues on that hammock and was hoping for a kind of mini-spreader bar effect.
    I actually think it helped a little with comfort, but I wouldn't have stuck with it long term due to the weight penalty.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Edit, I set it up on my indoor stand and flipped for a couple mins which is where I am typing this. The nasty centered calf ridge? Gone! Much smoother lay.
    When I turned around it was back. Caribiner for the win!

Fox, weight penalty? The large one I have is hardly over an ounce and so far seems to be a jump in comfort. I usually have a couple Caribiner hanging on my backpack as I never knew how often they come in handy for unexpected things. Seriously, a thing of M&Ms weighs what 4 of these Caribiner do! Lol

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by feralgeek View Post
    I agree.

I would assume a thinner, ever tightening loop of line would put more stress on the stitching than solid, smoothly curved carabiner. Appreciate all the input everyone. I've been using my cheap hammock for a few years for hiking and camping, and as the line was wearing I decided to replace it with something simpler, hence the carabiner.

I'll just give it a go, and report if I have any problems.
    Sometimes you've just gotta give it a shot and see what happens. Mine didn't work, but that's an "n" of one. More experimentation is necessary. That's why I have an outdoor hammock lab. Research is the key. Maybe I can get an NIH grant. Hmmmmm??

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Carabiner instead of amsteel loop?

Edit, I set it up on my indoor stand and flipped for a couple mins which is where I am typing this. The nasty centered calf ridge? Gone! Much smoother lay.
    When I turned around it was back. Caribiner for the win!

Fox, weight penalty? The large one I have is hardly over an ounce and so far seems to be a jump in comfort. I usually have a couple Caribiner hanging on my backpack as I never knew how often they come in handy for unexpected things. Seriously, a thing of M&Ms weighs what 4 of these Caribiner do! Lol
    Hey, if it gets rid of calf ridge and holds up long term, you have a winner!

As far as weight penalty, I just weighed my lightest climbing carabiner. It's 36 grams. That's barely over an ounce. Put yours on a scale. It's probably over 50 grams.
    My continuous loops weigh 3 grams. So, if comfort were equal, I would be adding an item that was 15Xs as heavy to accomplish the same goal. Grams make ounces, ounces make pounds.

HOWEVER, you have found a comfort advantage for yourself. I will usually accept weight penalties for comfort (I carry a pillow, sometimes two).

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yeah, some people go for the most ultra light at any cost. I go for comfort. My camp chair is multi-use and always on my pack. I have a few extra bits and doodads but 2-4lbs of luxuries to make a good trip great is always worth the trade-off to me. If I was only looking to pound miles day after day on something like 100 miles of the AT trail I would definitely revise my kit. I'd still keep the caribiner on my NX270 but I might shuck the extras and the chair would stay home.
    The funny part is that I love all the new ul tech and gear. Gadgets, gizmos, cool new bits of kit? Love them! But I don't personally feel the need to spend multiple times the price of a good solid tarp that is already lightweight for a fragile Cuban fiber that sounds like a snare drum in the rain, etc. Probably a good thing I only have the scale I step on at home. *grin*

"Your honor, those scales were not drug paraphernalia, he is just a gram-weenie!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Yeah, some people go for the most ultra light at any cost. I go for comfort. My camp chair is multi-use and always on my pack. I have a few extra bits and doodads but 2-4lbs of luxuries to make a good trip great is always worth the trade-off to me. If I was only looking to pound miles day after day on something like 100 miles of the AT trail I would definitely revise my kit. I'd still keep the caribiner on my NX270 but I might shuck the extras and the chair would stay home.
    The funny part is that I love all the new ul tech and gear. Gadgets, gizmos, cool new bits of kit? Love them! But I don't personally feel the need to spend multiple times the price of a good solid tarp that is already lightweight for a fragile Cuban fiber that sounds like a snare drum in the rain, etc. Probably a good thing I only have the scale I step on at home. *grin*

"Your honor, those scales were not drug paraphernalia, he is just a gram-weenie!"
    Fair enough. Each trip for me is going to vary based on miles hiked, etc.

However, couldn't disagree more on Cuben being fragile. I've hung under Cuben hundreds of nights in some really, really sketchy spots with zero issues. So have thousands of thru hikers on the AT, PCT, etc. I don't mind the sound, but totally understand why some would mind.

With that being said, the price of Cuben is stupid. If money were tight for me, I would go SilPoly all day and not regret it.

HYOH.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I may have misread it but I had gotten the impression it was a bit too easy to pierce the Cuban fiber (loose branch, stuff in the pack, etc.) I could easily be wrong.

Like we agreed, the length and type of hike makes all the difference.

titanium or carbon fiber wire rope thimble maybe dutch can make them HDTSS14-CR_1_175.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Aside from the total weight of suspension issue, using a carabiner sort of requires the channel stitching to hold all the weight. As a minimum, I follow ENO's example and loop a line through the channel twice so it is grabbing the material more not relying on just the stitching. Usually I run a few half hitches behind the gather and come out with a loop that I Put a ring on. The ring allows me to switch suspension at my whim: line/webbing/whoopie sling/Atlas straps. It also acts as a water break. However, I usually have a carabiner in the mix somewhere, so for me, it's not a matter of suspension weight as it is shifting the load from the stitching to the material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast