Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

RBTR Apex Underquilt Kit questions...

Since my wife enjoys sewing and I think I can sweet talk her into sewing me up an underquilt, I plan on ordering a kit from Rip Stop By the Roll soon. Being pretty new to hammock camping and underquilts, I've got some questions I hope you guys/gals can answer to help me choose my options...

1) For just an underquilt, does the material for my inner and outer layers matter? Calendered vs. Uncalendered? 1.1 Ripstop vs the others?

2) I'm leaning towards a 3/4 length quilt. I'll be using it for my ENO Doublenest (for now) and want to be able to use it for my next hammock, whenever I purchase/make one. Any reason to go full length instead? I will take it backpacking, which is why I'm leaning towards the 3/4.

3) I'm torn on the weight of insulation. I am not sure how much winter camping I'll do, but would like to give it a try, and simply can't afford to own multiple underquilts. So I'm thinking of making the 7.5 and using it all year. Input?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    If you want something for full, four season camping, and are planning on the 7.5 anyway, I would go ahead and make it full-length. With the lighter insulation, you could probably get away with the three-quarter and a foot pad
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

I just went through the same thought process and came out with slightly different answers. Since I live in Georgia and camp/hike mostly in state, I went with the 5.0. I also went with the full length kit, reasoning that I could always just cut it short if it seemed like a long one would be too heavy/bulky after I laid it out but before it's sewed. I've been cold and don't want to be cold, so that's the full length thinking. I may regret it when it's in the pack, but I'll see.

As an aside, I haven't actually started to lay the thing out yet. I've seen RSBTR's short video and a few more on YouTube. What plans/patterns/videos/etc are you using to help you make the quilt? Reason I ask is I'm getting paralysis by analysis now that I have all the material. There's always something else to learn BEFORE I start.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    What plans/patterns/videos/etc are you using to help you make the quilt?
    No idea yet. I was going to wait until I order it and get it here, then decide. Since my wife will be sewing it up for me, I'll let her decide. Lol! Have you looked at the instructions for the kit at MakeYourGear.com? They're pretty good (I think, but I'm new to this stuff).
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Haven't seen those yet but I'll take a look. Thanks for the pointer.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower;
    What plans/patterns/videos/etc are you using to help you make the quilt? Reason I ask is I'm getting paralysis by analysis now that I have all the material.
    I made an UQ a few years ago and followed the steps shown in this video;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOAb...id=P8VPIAHgSFg
    Good luck with the project.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Many thanks. I've now watched the first one of this series and will catch the rest. I appreciate the info.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    No idea yet. I was going to wait until I order it and get it here, then decide. Since my wife will be sewing it up for me, I'll let her decide. Lol! Have you looked at the instructions for the kit at MakeYourGear.com? They're pretty good (I think, but I'm new to this stuff).
    +1 on that! I made an underquilt recently for the first time and used the MakeYourGear.com instructions. They are detailed and simple to follow. I was SURE the UQ would be too short and too narrow as I cut my material to the instructions exact dimensions, but it turned out to work beautifully! Takes up 1/4 the space in my pack that my store bought Snugpak Underblanket takes up and weighs nothing compared to it, but still gives me excellent coverage! I made mine using calendared fabric and 2.5 Climashield. Next I plan to make another with same pattern except an inch longer and inch wider using 5.0 Climashield. Then I'll use the 2.5 when its 55 or above, the 5.0 when it's 40 and above, and layer the two together when it's under 40. That's why I'm making the next one slightly larger. Going to sew loops into the side of the 5.0 and ties in my 2.5 so I can tie them loosely together to use them in tandem, layered.

• + New Posts