Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Nice pics there Life Scout. I wish I would have pulled out my camera, but.... I didn't. darn *sigh*
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For hanging in the Florida heat, this was surely a nice hang. Even though my son and I arrived a few hours later than we wanted to on Friday morning, it still wasn't overly hot for the July hike in on the Hidden Pond Short trail.

We met up with Jake2c and hiked the ~2.2-2.5 mile in about an hour. My son needed a few extra breaks to not overheat and we made it into camp with him only asking once if we were close. Being the first in camp means the choice trees are ours and I picked my usual trees at the edge of Crooked Sapling Pond. My son next to me and Jake2c across the path.

We took our slow, sweet time setting up as others began to hike in. My friend, Grant, with no trail name yet looked exhausted. He set up at the point to the West and took a short nap doing so. Later, my son took nap as more hikers came on in during the hot afternoon heat. Glad I was already cooled off by then.

We had a late lunch after I helped my son and Grant set up. It was mid 90's and not the time for camp chores, except firewood. Never too hot for processing wood. Later, we had a small fire just to have that camp ambience as we had supper. I didn't eat do to dehydration headache even though I drank almost 3 bottles of 750 ml water.

That night we had a beautiful display of lightning close by but it never made it to us. It sure sent a cool breeze, though. Enough that I decided not to use my bugnet. I can say that it was a great choice because there was a nice little breeze the whole night, my tarp up in porch mode, not a single bug and true hammock bliss in the middle of a Florida Summer. It actually woke me up with cold shoulders enough for me to get my TQ. Temp registered at 74*F with a breeze.

Saturday was a beautiful morning with the breeze still rolling in so I stayed in my hammock 2 more hours until I woke at 8am. Breakfast for me was last night's supper. After breakfast, a few brave souls headed out for a 5 mile hike to Glenn Springs for the day. The temps later hit the upper 90's for most of the day but didn't feel that hot in the shade with intermittent breeze changing directions every so often.

I went to check on Grant since he was MIA for a long nap I couldn't wake him for lunch because he looked so content sleeping. This was his first multiday hike and hang. After lunch we had a fire building class and Big Country's daughter made her first fire using monkey hair and a spark. We slowly fed it little sticks for hours to keep it going while we talked the afternoon away.

Later brought the afternoon thunderstorms and even though we got no rain, we did cool off a bit. As the brave group returned, it was time for supper. They looked like it was a tough hike back and I'm sure they were ready to eat.

As the light show from the nearby storms started with nightfall, it was also time to bring the fire coals to life. Feeding little sticks all day kept it ready to go and in a very short time we were camping again, burning wood, and telling stories. Life Scout made his Pine Needle Tea in the fire coals and it was great. The only thing we needed was marshmallows but had none. After burning the rest of the wood it was time to try the netless bed again.

The thunderstorms were closer than last night and brought a short rainfall. We must have been on the edge of the storm since it lightly rained for 10 minutes or so with a significant cooler but less breeze than previous night. This coolness left me waking up about 4am shivering uncontrollably. Crazy to get this bad of CBS in Summer in Florida. I love my hammy.

Yes, the UQ came out if hiding and I was once again sleeping warm as a bug until 7am sandwiched between TQ and UQ. Once again, no bugs flying or biting me. The temp dipped to 69*F.

After breakfast, we broke camp and set out. Most of us took the Hidden Pond Short and shuttled a few back to Pat's Island while others hiked directly there. Due to a little medical issue, it took us quite longer than we wanted to and we were hiking into the late morning heat. A big thanks to Oz for carrying my pack.

Sorry I left out most attendee's names but I really appreciate all of you coming out into the heat with me. A special thanks to Big Country for providing most of the water with his constant refilling of 2 3-liter containers all weekend and use of his filters. You're all a bunch of crazies and I can't wait for our next hang together.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Looks like a great time. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go out in the summer but for this trip it didn't matter since I just got back last night from a fly fishing trip to Colorado and New Mexico.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    ... I squeaked by but didn't see any of the rest of my party. I asked inside about folks walking in and was told they didn't accept folks on foot. I took a dip in the spring then a power nap in the shade while waiting to see if the rest of the guys made it in. I woke up surrounded by a sea of bathers but no smelly hikers in sight. I hit the road for home after some additional sights that will haunt my dreams. Gotta love Florida state parks.
    That is strange since they let us in, as long as they where sure we did not have a vehicle. I believe it was obvious to them since we really did appear to be hikers. I am sorry we did not link up during the day, we assumed you did not make it through the line and decided to head for home. I guess we should have coordinated more. We where set up on the hill just above the spring. Thank you life_scout for buying me ice cream at the park store.

As for my trip report, I can safely say that this was the WORST hiking trip I have ever undertaken. The drive up from Melbourne was more uncomfortable then usual, I blame the heat but for some reason the drive was just bad, I may have been in a bad mood when I arrived at Pats Island. The hike to Hidden Pond was great, no complaints. The evening was great we gathered around the campfire and enjoyed each others company. Although I don't remember most of it, I may have been more tired then I thought.

The Saturday hike to the springs and back killed me. It had to be the heat, but I just don't know. By the end my feet did not want to work and my legs felt heavy. I went straight to the hammock after arriving and took a nap in the hammock for a few hours. I awoke just before sundown to formally get ready for bed and succeeded in destroying my bear bag line.

When hoisting my food bag up, the strap on the food bag opened when it reached the branch causing the bag to fall and the bear bag line loop to close around the branch. I was unable to free it. The next morning I cut the line as far up as I could reach from the ground. I think I lost around 10 feet of line and the biner (I use the PCT method of bear bagging). It could have been worse, I could have jammed the bag up at the branch or something. But it was a nice punctuation point for the weekend.

The hike out Sunday was almost a disaster for one of our fellow hikers. I choose to take floridahanger up on his offer of a shuttle to Patts Island since I did not want to hike the 3 miles out. In fact I really didn't want to hike anymore, but I had no choice unless I wanted to stay another day. So it was a first for me on the Hidden Pond short trail and I have to say, it was very open and very hot. I think it would be more appropriate for others to describe the events of that hike out. Thank you flordiahanger for the ride to Pats Island.

What I was hoping would have been a great time out, turned out to be a bad experience. On a better note I was able to sleep without any top quilt or blanket. I did get a little cold in the early morning before sunrise but it did not bother me. I experienced few mosquitoes and a few ticks, so the bugs where not that bad. I do have to admit that the spring was nice given the heat index, but unfortunately the hiking killed the experience.

I hope everyone had a better time then I did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Looks like Fla hanger put together a good group of people together to meet up. Enjoyed the pictures Life Scout and the trip reports thus far. Great White; Sorry your weekend wasn't as good as you wanted it to be. Hope your next outing will be better.

From the looks of it not too many complaints about being bugged out and though it is hot during the day, Fla nights are usually pleasant when there is a breeze and dissipates the humidity.
    Wished I could have joined y'all but trying to get the honey do lists knocked out so I can meet up with y'all at a later date!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Great White, so sorry it turned out so rotten for you. I hope this will be the worst and all future hangs much better.

I too have lost my bearbag line there 3 years ago. As a matter of fact, I checked Sunday and I could still see the Cuban Fiber throw bag high in the tree. There should also be a minbiner up there with it.

At least I was able help you a little and get you to your car. Always glad to help you if I can.

Rick, the days were pretty hot, but bearable in the shade with the breezes. The nights were wonderful at my open spot. Location, location, location. Bug free and tick free for me although there were quite a few in camp. Found 2 climbing my legs but easily removed them. I should have put them on my permethrined shirt or shorts.

I guess a trip report is in order with those pictures.

My wife decided is was to hot for a hike and we have 8 week old kittens we are trying to give away. On top of some house hold chores she and my son did (love you guys).

I packed light for this trip so I could head out from work and move fast on the trail. After leaving a bad week of work behind I headed through the traffic out to the forest where I came across a bear on the side of 40. He stayed long enough for me to get some video from the safety of my truck. The 3rd bear I've seen in 7 years. Then on to the dirt road know as FR33. As I approached the trail head I spy a bear running across the road just past where I was parking. I did wait a minute to see if he was going to return before exiting my truck. I grabbed my pack, check the other vehicles in the parking area for damage (none) just in case and hit the trail.

A wide path lead into the woods soon changed. After a 1/4 mile the trail splits a couple of ponds. I noticed a blue tarp flapping in the wind south of the trail. Something I decided I would leave till my return trip on Sunday. The trail switched between open fields and narrow overgrown passages. As rubbing against small Oaks, pines and other grasses unavoidable. The chances of ticks and chiggers was high.

I made good time on the hike in and rather enjoyed the trail. Some one left me trail arrows and other signs that made it easier to follow the Un maintained trail.

After arriving at camp and meeting old and new friends to annoy. I found a place in the trees close to the common area. A wide stretch of trees but no problem for the bridge hammock. As per the title no under quilt and no top quilt per me. I brought a silk bag liner which I found to be sufficient for the weekend. A little bit of cold shoulder in the morning but that was just the alarm clock I needed.

Saturday morning was upon us. A small party was to leave before the heat of the day and make it to Silver Glenn for lunch and swimming. The hike as usual started a little after planned. It was hot as we crossed the road to the Glenn and to see cars lined up to get in was concerning to say the least. We marched right up past all the waiting patrons and asked? Could 4 hikers that came 5 miles from Hidden Pond get in. As long as you don't have a car you may enter says the attendant. $5.50 each?

The camp store had some food, drinks and ice cream. Grinder found the first spot to rest his feet and said here I am. The rest of us moved up towards a small hill under some trees to call ours for the day. All the picnic tables had been grabbed by families cooking lunch and having a good time. We made it to the cool 72° water and stayed till our core body temperature dropped back to normal. We retired back to the hill side for nap time (also started by grinder). We decided there was no reason to leave this bliss till the heat let up a little later in the day. We spent most of the day people watching and re hydrating in the cool waters. We left the Glenn at almost 4pm. It was a slow hike back to camp and dinner. As we were closing in on camp we were concerned with a not to distant storm ahead of us. We did not get but a few dbyrops of rain then It was gone.

Dinner came late and we stayed up way tto late. It was good to catch up with friends. Sunday morning I had a hard time getting up to pack down. I spent a good amount of time cooking breakfast. Some of this is because I wanted to say goodbye to all my friends. It was already starting to warm up so I had to hit the trail home. I did stop and get that blue tarp on the way out. I dropped it off in the dumpster at work the following day.

All in all I say the hang was a success. I got to hang with some friends and when I closed my mouth to let other talk I learned something. Good times.

Thanks for teaching me how to tie my shoes wafflebox.

Hammock
    HH Exp asym
    Tarp
    Typhoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have been a lurking member for a few years and this was the first hang that I was able to make. All I can say I s this was a great first impression. It was warm but being a Florida native nothing but the norm for comfort. The group was more than excepting of a new face and the site was beautiful. I came in on the short trail and the directions to camp were spot on. The video that was referenced gave me a real sense of bearing hiking in. The water filter that was shared gave a quick refill and was much appreciated. Everyone had more than enough room to hang with space for some privacy. Hidden pond was clean and a nice resource to have so close the kids really were enjoying it. I only wish I had the time to stay the second night but just getting out and trying some new gear was worth it not to mention the company. I plan trying to set time aside to attend more hangs and to get to know this community better. My buddy that couldn't make it just received his hammock so in a few weeks I may be back out at that spot and if so will post up a offer when a date has been set. I just want to say thanks and I look forward to the next time. Swamp

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It was really nice to met you and was glad you could make it. One night is always better than none.

Our next group hang at Hidden Pond will probably be the "Summer's Last Gasp Hang" at the end of September the weekend of 23-25. The thread should start in a few weeks.

Hope to see you and your friend there as well.

It was really nice to meet everyone. I found everything enjoyable though the heat was pretty oppressive. Evenings were nice. I hiked in with Floridahanger as he has already written. I had dog food in my car that my wife had left in there and I was unaware of until I got to the parking area. I did see a bear and bear tracks. FH suggested that I don't leave it in my car so I put it under a tree by the side of the road. I found it untouched on Sunday which was a pleasant surprise. (Yes my wife loves me :-)). Did get a few bug bites, no ticks attached though they were around. I hiked out early on the short trail and that was a good call, still cool. Even nursing a torn meniscus the hike out took less than 45 minutes. I did move along as I wanted to see how my knee held up before I talked to a surgeon that following Wed. The cooler air and short distance made it fairly pleasant. What a great group of people I met there. Hope to see you all again at a future event.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast