11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I have a question on this topic. Can I complete each half of the tarp with rolled hem, reinforcements, and loops before sewing the ridge line?

I want to add the side pulls and it would be easier to do before sewing the two halves together. I'd like to do all of it then the ridge line and ridge pulls last.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I have a question on this topic. Can I complete each half of the tarp with rolled hem, reinforcements, and loops before sewing the ridge line?

I want to add the side pulls and it would be easier to do before sewing the two halves together. I'd like to do all of it then the ridge line and ridge pulls last.
    You could but then the hem at the ridgeline will not be as strong over the ridgeline IMO. Remember you have forces pulling in each direction.
    You can do the side pulls any time you want but remember to do them on the correct side. It can be confusing and then you have to look out for what side you are hemming later.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I honestly don't understand the way the sides meet the ridge? If I flat fell/french the ridge line first do I have to leave some space on each end for the rolled hem on the tarp ends?

Or does the ridge hem get rolled into the end hems?

Also confused by the reinforcement fabric getting sewn into the rolled hem at the ridge. All reinforcement fabric (300D) goes toward the underside of the trap with the rolled hem up underneath when hung right?

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Good questions XJ35S. Some I was contemplating myself. Would the tarp be stronger if the seam was across the ridgeline rather than parallel with it? Seems to me it would. Are there any drawbacks to making it that way?
    Last edited by Bluknu; 07-18-2016 at 01:12.

I just received a rolled hem foot and have been playing with it. Planning my first DIY tarp soon. I appreciate all the comments on this thread.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    This is how i do it.
    Cut both sides to shape. Please remember some fabric's have a right side and a wrong side. Measure twice and cut once
    Join the two sides on the ridgeline with whatever seam i want to use (all the way to the ends).
    Sew reinforcement on the ridgeline ends and on the corners.
    Roll hem the whole perimeter. I always hem a tarp so its rolled on the inside. IMO it gives a cleaner look and water can flow freely on the outer surface.
    Sew loops on.
    If i want to add side pullouts its the last thing i do.

I have never used the heavy fabrics for reinforcements, IMO its overkill but its just me. I cut my reinforcements fabric to shape so the edge is covered by the last fold in the hem. I dont want to have the reinforcements fabric folded like the hem as long as the raw edge is hidden in the hem i am happy.
    If you do it my way you will get a thick hem just over the ridgeline but it doesn't matter because its only 3/8" or so.

BTW
    Its a good idea to pin the ridgeline before you start sewing. If you dont there is a chance one side will be longer than the other when you get to the other end. If it happens anyway you can trim it before hemming or if its only a minor diff. it will be hidden in the hem.
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-18-2016 at 09:44.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Images
    One reason more people put the seam along the ridgeline is because the seam reduces stretch in that direction. Putting the seam the other way sometimes uses less fabric (at the expense of more stretch).

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I appreciate that snowball. Sometimes a guy needs reassurance.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Glad to see another canoe/kayak camper on here.
    There are a lot of UL backpackers on HF, and a lot of good useful info. But sometimes the "quest" is more UL than rugged, economical or ease of use.
    good example is for my 1st DIY tarp, I am looking for 1.6 or 1.9oz silpoly in yellow. no one carries it cause everyone is riding that razors edge of ultra light weight just prior to failure.
    But tons of super nice and knowledgeable folks around here.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Bluknu View Post
    I like simple. I like strong. I'm not one to worry about ultralight although I do a lot of canoe camping so I'm not into lugging huge heavy loads. Middle ground is good. .

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Awesome. I'd planned the seam along the ridgeline and then something got said that made me wonder if the other way might be better. Lol

Hey Nick. Good to meet ya. Yes canoe/kayak camping has it's own unique challenges very different from UL backpacking. Most of my trips these days are solo and you have to be prepared when you only have yourself to rely on. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It usually works out although I was wind bound for 4 days on one trip last year. THAT will drive you crazy

Anyway I got the 1.9 coated nylon ripstop. They had some material that looked like silpoly but being unlabelled and the staff not knowing i didn't take the chance this time. That can be another more lightweight project for the future. Lol.
    Last edited by Bluknu; 07-19-2016 at 01:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12