Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images

Finishing the edges of a tarp

Ok. So I'm looking at making myself a nice summer tarp. Lighter and a little smaller than my DD 4x4 (which I really like for nasty cold weather or hanging over two hammocks ) I've been checking out materials I can obtain locally and it looks like it will be a coated nylon (the name of the coating escapes me at the moment). So my question is what do most people recommend doing with the edge of the tarp? I was thinking of something like a finished grosgrain (or some other material) edge which would surely look pretty but I'm thinking it would have a different stretch factor than the main body of the tarp. Do most people just fold and hem? Is that strong enough?

Thanks

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    You could finish it with binding like grosgrain but most would do a rolled hem.
    BTW its called SilNylon or SilPoly
    IMO SilPoly is better.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks.

These materials are not especially well labelled. The coating name is on there. I can't remember what it is exactly. I want to say something like Amerishield? I have to check again. I hadn't seen that particular name in any of my searches online so I'm a little unsure of it. The place I am looking has tons of material but the nylon isn't particularly well labelled. It's a case of going through the stack and some guessing (you know like 'yeah this one looks calendared and this one looks coated lol) I haven't found any of the polyester there yet. Still searching.

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    So while I'm at it I might as well ask this question too. Some of the material is coated ripstop and some just plain nylon. Ripstop would be stronger right? A little heavier tho?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm new. Lol

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    if you are checking Fabricland/ Lens mill stores type places they 'should' have a good idea of what it is, but i have not always found that the case. I did a rolled hem on all edges with grosgrain reinforcements at corner/ peak points and it seems to be holding up ok. I ordered xenon from Mr Dutch.
    Niagara

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    If I'm not mistaken Ripstop has the small heavier thread squares that should live up to their name should a beach or something hit the tarp. Straight/regular fabric under load (big winds, etc) may end up with a night-ending tear. (imagine its pouring rain, branch hits, rather than tiny hole you have a huge tear)
    To keep it simple I would figure its easy to roll the edges and hem. Basic reinforcements at tie-out points are a given. I can design the stuff, just not make it. Lol

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    I like simple. I like strong. I'm not one to worry about ultralight although I do a lot of canoe camping so I'm not into lugging huge heavy loads. Middle ground is good.

And yes I'm looking at Len's. They're generally pretty good although not all of the staff are completely knowledgeable. I generally get an answer and if there are multiple opinions I weigh my choices on the side of caution lol. I just needed a little general knowledgeable advice before forking out the cash. It's a bit of material for a tarp. Lol

Thanks everyone for the answers so far.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    For the most part you can identify if its ripstop or not by looking at the surface. If it has small squares (4x4mm and upwards) its most likely ripstop. It is what you should go for at least for a tarp because it is stronger. The thread in the squares are often a bit thicker and prevent a rip from evolving to some degree.
    IMO the only reason you should use binding for a tarp is for the cosmetic look. It will add weight and volume to a tarp. A rolled hem has 3 layers of fabric and its plenty strong. If anything stronger is needed you should not be out there (read danger).
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Awesome Snowball. Thanks. Yes the ripstop is easily identifiable once I learned what is was. Lol. As for strength the issue with canoe camping is if you get wind bound then you can have 2 or 3 days of fairly significant relentless wind. You don't get the option of paddling back to your car. That would be dangerous so you 'hole up' for a couple of days to let it die down. Basically we aren't taking hurricane just unsafe for paddling. Lol

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    All setups has a limit no matter how good it is. Tarps can rip, loops for guy lines can be ripped out, guy lines can snap, but in most cases I hope the stakes will be pulled out of the ground. Something has to be the weak link. If you are sailing on a sailboat and is using a spinnaker its not uncommon they rip by the sides and there is basically only a frame left. The same could happen with a tarp in theory. I would strongly recommend moving the camp long before something like that happens. In short get away from the wind before it’s too late.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast