Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    NeoAirTrkr/KeltyDn
    Suspension
    NylWebg+WhoopieSlg

Need advise on net for GT double.

Good Day,
    Noob here needing lots of help/advice. Picked up a GT Double and just swapped in some whoopie slings today. Can't wait to try them out. I'm in the market to complete my rig for hanging in the high Sierra soon. I would like some advice on a bug net. So far I have checked out the WB TRAVEL NET and the DUTCHWARE BOTTOM ENTRY. My specs are 10.5' long so not sure if the WB net will be trouble. I tried searching the forums for a good GT Double match but couldn't find anything so sorry if this has been asked many times before. I am sure there are more options but I am trying to keep it light so I can keep pack weight down. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I used the ENO Bugnet for my GT Double. But you can't go wrong w/ the Dutch option.
    https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....uct/BN001.html
    Comes in at 16oz. Tough netting.

The ENO option is not so light weight and because that's a concern of yours, I'd look closely at your other options. I do like how it is a complete enclosure and the bottom acts as a bit of a gear hammock, just toss stuff over the side and it's not going anywhere.

There are many bug net fabric options now available for the DIY'er. If you are inclined in that direction check out ripstopbytheroll.com and Dutch's site. Not to mention many of the cottage vendors on here offer net options. Visit the Vendors section to get an idea.

Oh and welcome, never apologize for asking questions. We've all been there.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    NeoAirTrkr/KeltyDn
    Suspension
    NylWebg+WhoopieSlg
    Thanks for the response Ratdog.

I did consider the ENO but am still on the fence as far as weight. The fact that you can stow items on the bottom is a nice feature, however, which is why I was hoping to find something light like the WB TRAVEL NET. Just sounds like my 10.5' length would compromise the ends.

I still need to tie a ridgeline. Would that be considered reducing the overall length?
    Last edited by FishHuntCampDad; 07-17-2016 at 00:46.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    A ridgeline absolutely impacts the overall length but you are right to be concerned with the hammock pulling through the end of the netting and making a tear unless the net is sized properly.

Ideally, a net for your sized hammock in some of the lighter bug netting available and no zipper. That's how you'll get light.

There are lots of hammocks that have integrated/removable netting that attaches directly to the hammock and when you consider the overall cost of a hammock, proper suspension and bug net purchased separately, it is reasonable to begin to consider an integrated hammock.

But, you have the GT double now, you'll want a ridgeline on it and you need a bug net. I'd also suggest (strongly encourage) you to get tree straps and climbing rated carabiners.

Net options.
    Dutch - Fronkey style (bottomless) 6oz, 11'
    https://www.dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html

Simply Light Designs - you can select 11' and the netting material of your choosing keeping in mind the lighter the netting material, the less robust it is albeit perfectly functional
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/492
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    NeoAirTrkr/KeltyDn
    Suspension
    NylWebg+WhoopieSlg
    Two soft shackles came with the whoopie slings I ordered. Wondering how to incorporate these since I am using the slings threaded through the sewn end channel. Also, have been using repurposed ratchet straps for tree straps. My thoughts were to use the Marlin spike hitch to attach the slings on each end. Get carabiners to just be able to hang things? Thanks again.

• + New Posts