HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    I went with the Speer Cat tarp.
    Since, to my knowledge, you'll be the first person on HF to have the Speer Cat tarp, we'll expect a full gear test and report ASAP. Like I said, if his Cat tarp is anything like the rest of his gear, you can't go wrong. I hope it works out well for you and we'll be looking for that report.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    So are the new Speer III hammocks longer thna the Speer II hammocks? The specs on the website suggest that the SPIII hammocks are the same length now.
    I have the previous model 8.0A which is 8' long. Their kits are still that size or a little bigger.
    No Speer II as far as I know.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The new Speer hammocks come with the new 8x10 cat tarp. Should work well. Unique feature on the ends of the tarp should really help with rain and cold wind.
    This may be the best combo hammock and tarp out there. The extra foot on the hammock was a great idea. No dinky fly like the Hennessy's.

Which unique feature is this?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Which unique feature is this?
    Basically being able to bring the tarp ends closer together due to having 3 tie outs per side. Speer really should have a pic of this tarp on their site. Here's a good thread that talks about it as well as a pic without ends together:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=speer+tarp
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=79
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Basically being able to bring the tarp ends closer together due to having 3 tie outs per side. Speer really should have a pic of this tarp on their site. Here's a good thread that talks about it as well as a pic without ends together:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=speer+tarp
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=79
    That is something I am thinking about putting into my next tarp. I am thinking about really deep cat cuts after seeing the warbonnet cat tarp with 3 tie-outs per side. I think I will make it 14' long though. The only complant I heard was that it gets tight when you pull in the ends.

I think having the option to pull in the ends would be nice in blowing rain. Most times you would only need to close 1 end. Closing both would trap in some heat.

I think that the larger cat cuts would compensate for the extra weight of 2 out stakes and tie-outs and 1 foot longer tarp. I would also add a small cat cut to the ridgeline. I was also thinking about not making it a true hex. Something BB suggested to me a while back. This would make more usable room on the ends.

It would basically be a bad weather, storm tarp. Not something to use on every trip, but would come in handy when I need it. Especially since I am planning on moving to Denver and doing some hiking in the Rockies.
    Last edited by Coffee; 06-10-2007 at 14:24.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    That is something I am thinking about putting into my next tarp. I am thinking about really deep cat cuts after seeing the warbonnet cat tarp with 3 tie-outs per side. I think I will make it 14' long though. The only complant I heard was that it gets tight when you pull in the ends.

I think having the option to pull in the ends would be nice in blowing rain. Most times you would only need to close 1 end. Closing both would trap in some heat.

I think that the larger cat cuts would compensate for the extra weight of 2 out stakes and tie-outs and 1 foot longer tarp. I would also add a small cat cut to the ridge line. I was also thinking about not making it a true hex. Something BB suggested to me a while back. This would make more usable room on the ends.

It would basically be a bad weather, storm tarp. Not something to use on every trip, but would come in handy when I need it. Especially since I am planning on moving to Denver and doing some hiking in the Rockies.
    just two things to think about...
    1) dave (youngblood) was talking about his tarp w/ a cat cut in the ridge & something he has made note of this past winter is that it collects snow... especially wet snow. so he may not put one on his next one.
    and i personally lean away from a cat cut ridge because it takes away from the roominess of the tarp.
    2) speaking of roominess, the pull outs on the sides really help. but i've begun to see stress failure on the pull out tabs on my newest tarp.
    i've decided that adding an extra folded seam from end to end where i want the pull outs will be the way to go on the next one. i'll post details later.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    just two things to think about...
    1) dave (youngblood) was talking about his tarp w/ a cat cut in the ridge & something he has made note of this past winter is that it collects snow... especially wet snow. so he may not put one on his next one.
    and i personally lean away from a cat cut ridge because it takes away from the roominess of the tarp.
    2) speaking of roominess, the pull outs on the sides really help. but i've begun to see stress failure on the pull out tabs on my newest tarp.
    i've decided that adding an extra folded seam from end to end where i want the pull outs will be the way to go on the next one. i'll post details later.

Thanks, I didn't think about the snow collecting. Definitly something to think about. I think I am going to order the Ray-way tarp book when I get back. I think that I can use his ideas, tie-outs like you and he uses, and put a cat cut on it and come up with something nice.

I think in the end I might end up with 3 or 4 tarps where each will their own strengths and times where they shine.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I have been trying to figure out what would be the best way to add some side tie outs to my tarp. I am guessing that the side tie out points would be a pretty high stress area. I would like to find some of the pull tabs that are on my Cloudburst2. I will try and get a pic so you can see what I ma talking about.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12