Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    An "inderquilt"...cute

I have had very good success with using several UQ setups. For spring through fall I find that my Arrowhead Ridge Creek 3/4 length UQ or a Costco down throw UQ in the pad sleeve and used with a "foot pad" (usually a cut up ridgerest or a 3/4 length Thermarest prolite) for the bottom end works fine. This system adds some rigidity to the lower hammock end, yet allows the hammock to collapse toward the center when sitting or using the tarp for other chores like dressing or leisure time. For colder weather I have a DIY down quilt sewn from a down rectangular sleeping bag that fits inside the pad sleeve. In another post or earlier in this thread I explained the shock cord system I use to keep the pad sleeve UQs in place.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0 and 90° Hammock Gam
    Tarp
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped downmath;)
    Suspension
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Images
    New hooks for the quilt.....its hanging loosely in the pic, but will stretch out when laying in it.
    DSC07855.jpg by Rickard Andersson, on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/65072883@N04/

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by syc View Post
    I put in an order for a Gamma UL and now I need to make sure I have a tarp for it. I was hoping to get some feedback on my latest idea.

It sounds like an 8x12 tarp has the appropriate coverage. I was thinking that an 8x12 tarp with tie outs midway on the 12' side would cover the ridgeline of the hammock and still allow hanging in narrow spaces. Would a 9' width be better you think?
    I was thinking of having a tarp made to support a 12' inside center pole that runs down the middle of the tarp, lengthwise. This would raise the tarp and allow you to just stake down the corners while allowing clearance for the hammock to swing.
    Like this example, except sized for the 90 Degree Hammock:
    Attachment 135955

I wouldn't need to use the inside pole obviously, but it would help keep the tarp taut and provide a little more space under the tarp.

What do folks think?
    Did you ever make progress on this? An affordable tarp is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Gamma UL right now.

Considering GregFromHolland is using a Rab Sil 3, which is 10'x12', I think a 9' width would probably be okay. I'm not positive though.

I'd love to find a tarp in the $150 range that gives good coverage and is under 20 oz. Difficult to tell how good the coverage actually is from the sides in the photos, though, so I'm not sure what dimensions are actually best.

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Did you ever make progress on this? An affordable tarp is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Gamma UL right now.

Considering GregFromHolland is using a Rab Sil 3, which is 10'x12', I think a 9' width would probably be okay. I'm not positive though.

I'd love to find a tarp in the $150 range that gives good coverage and is under 20 oz. Difficult to tell how good the coverage actually is from the sides in the photos, though, so I'm not sure what dimensions are actually best.
    I pulled out a Speer Winter Tarp that has mostly sat in the gear closet for years and years (it is big, and I don't need that much protection) and the ridgeline is the right length, and also has grommets on the long axis tie outs, so putting in an inner pole would be pretty straightforward.
    It doesn't have tie outs midway on the long sides, which is where you'd hook it up to the 90 degree hammock suspension. I'm thinking that I may just try cutting a circle of silnylon and silicone gluing it midway on the long sides and sewing in some grosgrain pullouts. My sewing skills suck, but may be adequate for this task.

Mostly I'm waiting for the hammock to show up so that I can look it over and see what makes sense.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Cool... I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Has anyone ever used a bivy bag in a HammockTent? Since the lay is so flat while using a sleeping pad I feel like a bivy bag would work really well (at least on the net-less versions. You could just slip it on if it started raining or sleep under the stars if the weather was nice.

Thoughts?
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    @refreshing I did use the sleeping bag and zipped myself in like I would sleeping in a tent. No problem at all.

Do you want to use the bivy bag for extra warmth or against rain?
    I think I would prefer a tarp anytime against rain.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Has anyone ever used a bivy bag in a HammockTent? Since the lay is so flat while using a sleeping pad I feel like a bivy bag would work really well (at least on the net-less versions. You could just slip it on if it started raining or sleep under the stars if the weather was nice.

Thoughts?

I would think that if you use a bivy, in the hammock, in the rain, the entire hammock would become sort of a suspended puddle as water pooled inside the hammock before leaking out through the fabric. Depending on how quickly water drained through the fabric the experience might range from kind of interesting (if the water drains quickly) to potential hammock failure (if you had a hammock that actually trapped bathtub sized amounts of water).

Its almost an argument for making a hammock body out of mesh so that rain would just wash through it, and sleeping in a bivy on top of the mesh hammock - a solo version of the Tentsile trillium mesh hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by syc View Post
    I would think that if you use a bivy, in the hammock, in the rain, the entire hammock would become sort of a suspended puddle as water pooled inside the hammock before leaking out through the fabric. Depending on how quickly water drained through the fabric the experience might range from kind of interesting (if the water drains quickly) to potential hammock failure (if you had a hammock that actually trapped bathtub sized amounts of water).

Its almost an argument for making a hammock body out of mesh so that rain would just wash through it, and sleeping in a bivy on top of the mesh hammock - a solo version of the Tentsile trillium mesh hammock.
    For rain.

I agree that a tarp is way better (lighter, more space, and more breathable) but I am searching a new setup to take tree camping and setting up tarps high in the canopy just doesn't work well. Using a bivy would be much easier but I question its performance.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    For rain.

I agree that a tarp is way better (lighter, more space, and more breathable) but I am searching a new setup to take tree camping and setting up tarps high in the canopy just doesn't work well. Using a bivy would be much easier but I question its performance.
    You need to talk to TreeFool https://treefool.com

"You're no Steve Climber, but Steve Climber is!"
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast