Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod

The Plight of the Pea Pod

1 spent last night sleeping in my Pea Pod. I felt I was sleeping in a giant cacoon of feathers. The temperature range in the pea pod must have been around seventy degrees. I was shocked when I exited my hammock to find out that the temperature had crashed down to 4 degrees. Both my coat and boots were frozen like ice and my pants were useless and thin.Everytime I breathed my lungs burned cold... I am now amazed how much the pea pod was able to enhance the heat and warmth in my body. When I was in the pea pod I was totally unaware of the wintery environment outside the system I was sleeping in... Going into a minor state of shock after leaving the warm protection of pea pod was pretty impressive. It says alot about the effectiveness of the pea pod. Wow

Yep, pretty impressive. Makes you hate to get up and go water the trees at 3am!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Yep, pretty impressive. Makes you hate to get up and go water the trees at 3am!
    yellow ice sculptures!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Mr Prez, on this subject I would like to reference a question that already has been kicked about but begs an answer from more enlightened sources on HF. When sleeping in a winter bag (-15f rating) I tend to sleep with only a pair of (dry) wool soxes and a T shirt. It take me about a half hour to adjust the footbox zipper and shoulder zipper to get a adequete flow of ventilation air through the bag to prevent overheating depending on outside air ambient. What do our more informed sources prefer to sleep in for clothing that you could wear during the day in cold weather, that you could wear at night in your hammock that won,t hold moisture to prevent the dreaded late night chills.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    Mr Prez, on this subject I would like to reference a question that already has been kicked about but begs an answer from more enlightened sources on HF. When sleeping in a winter bag (-15f rating) I tend to sleep with only a pair of (dry) wool soxes and a T shirt. It take me about a half hour to adjust the footbox zipper and shoulder zipper to get a adequete flow of ventilation air through the bag to prevent overheating depending on outside air ambient. What do our more informed sources prefer to sleep in for clothing that you could wear during the day in cold weather, that you could wear at night in your hammock that won,t hold moisture to prevent the dreaded late night chills.
    Man, that would be a long answer! Some here advocate sleeping near naked, others layer up pretty good. I believe Shug is experimenting on cutting back on the clothes he wears, hoping to decrease condensation I believe.

For the last year or I have been layered up pretty well with some very light weight Polarguard pants and hooded jacket. They are ultralight for PG, but pretty warm. I have slept in those alone on top at about 48-50F, barely warm enough. I have worn them under a Golite quilt at ~11F, again just barely OK. I don't think I could have ever got by any where near those temps being nearly naked with just that quilt. I think I would have froze!

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Yeah. I don't like icing up them trees when I pee.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    TMI!

(yes the post is too short...)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Glad to hear you like the peapod. It may not be the lightest thing around, but the extreme loftiness of it, and the peace of mind knowing it will definitely keep you warm make it a favorite of mine!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Glad to hear you like the peapod. It may not be the lightest thing around, but the extreme loftiness of it, and the peace of mind knowing it will definitely keep you warm make it a favorite of mine!
    Yes, agreed. Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday, and last night (Christmas Eve,Eve) was my first night in a Peapod. The warmth was great even at 32*. There was some effort getting used to the velcro that runs the length of the pod, probably due to the fact that it was already dark and I was setting it up for the first time.
    I awoke during the night to find that my 10 inch breathing hole had closed and the entire bag was sealed. I'm told that re-breathing one's same air can lead to a headache (or death as in a snow cave).
    As for hammock comfort, well, not very. I am spoiled with my WBBB, but it might be better after I re-do the whipping on that little Travel Hammock or remove the ridgeline on the BB.

My friends call me a gram counter, but that's in the summer when mistakes don't kill you. In the cold this Peapod is wonderful. I won't mind carrying this kind of security in my winter pack.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    Both my coat and boots were frozen like ice and my pants were useless and thin.
    In cold weather, I sleep with those things in the sleeping bag with me. Thus, never any frozen clothes or boots to put on! The clothes dry out overnight, if they were damp. The boots (actually, shoes now) go into a turkey roaster bag (multi-purpose) to keep my sleeping bag clean.

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast