Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    Second night in my Peapod. I got the knack with opening and closing the pod.
    Temp dropped to 27* and so comfortable. I dreamt it was summertime and somebody invented a wonderful new type of A/C that allows you to breath icy cold fresh air. It was delightful!
    Pastorus, what all did you have inside your Pea Pod on that 27* night? 27*F is currently my record for a Pea Pod with NO TQ, just puffy clothing to seal around the gaps. But, this was in a narrow hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Pastorus, what all did you have inside your Pea Pod on that 27* night? 27*F is currently my record for a Pea Pod with NO TQ, just puffy clothing to seal around the gaps. But, this was in a narrow hammock.
    All I had with me was my polyester jammy pants, wool socks, and a fleece pullover. It is also a narrow hammock. Oh yeah, I was using a down vest as a pillow. I wonder if the difference might be the 2 oz. overfill. I am a pretty cold sleeper and was quite surprised. I can hardly wait for tonight's sleep and I'm hoping for ~20* (that's not the same as -20*).
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    good luck. May you dream magnificent dreams in your pea pod tonight.

Images
    All I had with me was my polyester jammy pants, wool socks, and a fleece pullover. It is also a narrow hammock. Oh yeah, I was using a down vest as a pillow. I wonder if the difference might be the 2 oz. overfill. I am a pretty cold sleeper and was quite surprised. I can hardly wait for tonight's sleep and I'm hoping for ~20* (that's not the same as -20*).
    Well, then, that is most impressive! Can't wait to see how it goes at 20!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, then, that is most impressive! Can't wait to see how it goes at 20!
    No luck getting the cold temp. Clouds have rolled in and it'll be a warm ~40* with rain. I might need ear plugs to dull the sound of rain on the tarp.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Remember to take your boot insoles and put them in the hammock with you!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hit 24º last night and I started to get a chilly bottom. I stored a down jacket at my feet and I'm sure it helped keep them warmer. I really want to get to 20º without augmentation, but that is not a common temp in the Sacramento Valley. I'll have to go for a drive & hike.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Hit 24º last night and I started to get a chilly bottom. I stored a down jacket at my feet and I'm sure it helped keep them warmer. I really want to get to 20º without augmentation, but that is not a common temp in the Sacramento Valley. I'll have to go for a drive & hike.
    Pastorus, here's a tip that might help getting those last few degrees. Give the PP more slack to ensure you're not decreasing the loft by stretching it too tight. When it's cold, the tendency is to tighten the PP too tight in the effort to eliminate cold dead air spaces between it & the hammock. However, this can result in loss of down loft under your body where your body's weight is excessivelly stretching the PP. So it can be a fine balance. To remedy: loosen the PP at the end draw cords & let each end of the PP slide toward the center of the hammock another inch or two. This may help insure you're not loosing bottom loft. You can also always add some extra insulation between the hammock & the PP, such as any extra clothes you're not wearing to sleep in; also try pack covers, rain gear, blankets, ground sheets, etc. It's amazing how much extra warmth you can get by ensuring full bottom loft &/or adding a shirt, jacket or pair of pants as a liner between the hammock & PP. For extremely cold weather, I loosen the PP even more & then add down blankets or summer-weight sleeping bags as liners, again being carefull not to lose bottom loft by excessive stretching of the PP. Hope this helps.
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Images
    Yes, what Ed said. And I find that it is trickier with some hammocks, than others, to get the tension just right so that you don't have too much gap or the opposite: little or no gap but down compression. In my limited experience ( compared to Ed anyway) I have opted for more gap if needed, rather than risking compression. Though I walways at least try for as little gap as possible.

Another thing: make sure the down is adequately distributed into the bottom. You would think that gravity would make the down tend to sink towards the bottom, but I have found it to be the opposite. So I fairly frequently, after hanging everything up, shift the down from the top towards the bottom. The butt ( cold butt syndrome) and kidney areas are where I am most likkely to need the max insulation in any hammock.

I have not had trouble yet keeping warm on the bottom, but I don't think I could stay warm in the Pea Pod on top at 20*F without augmentation either with a top quilt or puffy clothing to fill gaps and seal off around the neck when opening a breathing hole. EDIT: Although, with any TQ I have available to use in the Pod, 20*F on top is a cinch. Zero to ten are probably no problem.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-01-2010 at 19:51.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I was wondering... Just how much stuff can someone put into the bottom of a Pea Pod. What are the limits?
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-30-2009 at 23:15. Reason: misspelling

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast