Advise on under quilt.

I'm a, NB so what would be a decent under quilt for a Hennessy Jungle Safari or a Dream hammock 11' sparrow, as wide as possible like 70"? Trying to decide on which route to take depending on the funds I'm aloud to spend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Budget quilts (synthetic) : arrowhead jarbidge etc. and loco libre cayenne.

Down(top of the line): hammock gear, loco libre, cave Creek hammocks. UGQ, arrow head, little shop of hammocks, enlightened equipment. Tons of vendors provide great products. Most all UQs will fit most all GE hammocks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Why are you thinking wide quilt?

The quilt only needs to insulate you...you generate the heat it is holding in so way wide on the quilt most of the time does nothing for you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Didn't know if it made a difference on the width of the hammock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coolturtle View Post
    Didn't know if it made a difference on the width of the hammock.

Not necessarily. You are still what needs insulated not the expanse of space you are not in. Some quilts through are made to fit a set hammock better and are shaped to accommodate the design of the hammock more so that provide insulation where it's not being used fully. You won't find a quilt that is 70 inches wide, most are around 40-48 and that is more than sufficient for a standard sized person.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Intimidator and Ol' Papa Arrowhead are correct. You really can't go wrong with an underquilt, no matter the width. The only real questions are... down vs synthetic and 3/4 vs full? You will be amazed at the difference an UQ makes at pretty much any price range. Personally, I have a hammock gear incubator and I love it (worth every penny.) BUT I really have a weird and unsubstantiated trust in pretty much every "cottage" manufacturer on this forum when it comes to quality and customer service. In other words, I continue to be impressed by the "little guys" and at this point I wouldn't buy from anyone else.

Ps. I am truly grateful for pgibson's constant involvement and advice on this forum. It goes a long way.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You will get as many opinions on which quilt to buy as you will which oil to use in your car and none of them are wrong Here is my suggestion. Make a list of items that you feel are important to you the go to the all the vendor's web sites and see what they offer to fit your requirements. Once you have it narrowed down to 2 or 3, call them voice or email them before you make a final decision. Here is a list of questions I used:

1) Down or Synthetic (cost and weight difference and you have to decide which is important) Down costs more but is way lighter.
    2) Temps you will use it in and be sure to base it on the lowest possible temps.
    3) Climate you will use it in. Down sucks if it's wet. Synth's will at least give you some insulation
    4) Uses: Top Quilt, Under Quilt, possible ground use. Some products out there will do all 3 and it was important to me that I have this versatility available.
    5) Length. How tall are you and how much coverage do you want. I prefer full coverage but if hiking I might chose 3/4 to reduce bulk and weight.
    6) Shipping times. Some vendors run months behind on custom work. Some vendors don't do custom work but instead can ship same day on their stock items. You have to decide which is important to you.
    7) Last but not least! Customer service. Do a google search (available on the home page here) for your vendors. See what the folks are saying about their products and support. When you contacted them how long did it take them to respond because that is a good indicator of how long it will take them to respond to any complaint you might have. Did they give you good answers and take time to explain things to you? This list could go on and on.

Good luck with your shopping and let us know what you decide.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    my standing advice is;

if you can only get one quilt - get a full length 0* down quilt.

sv-

• + New Posts