Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Beginner Hammocks VS Expert Hammocks .........???

Hey Everyone,

After combing through a bunch of forum posts I have noticed a trend of calling some models of hammocks "beginners" and some hammocks people considered "expert" or "advanced".

Now I know there are slight different materials that can be used, hammocks weight considerations, length, weight limit but in the end aren't we all just looking to hang between two pines?

What makes some look down upon a "beginner" hammock and how does someone know when they have reached the Shangri-La of expert hammock models. So far all I can see as the main difference is how many green backs you throw at them and being able to say "I only use....(throw in expensive hammock model)".

Love to hear your inputs,
    Luke - Hanging Between Two Pines

www.WIinFocus.com

I started with an inexpensive hammock with rope slings. After deciding I liked it, I upgraded to a better model. (Warbonnet Blackbird XLC). That's one possible explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Price, I think, is the determining factor. Don't spend a bunch of money on your first hammock, with the learning curve involved you may regret that choice as you become more knowledgeable. Length, lay direction, material choice are just some of the options that can change over time. Spending less on the first one as you learn and develop preferences allows you to try more models.

As I got into this the WBBB and Dream Hammock were, and still can be considered, the holy grails. As I worked my way through a few cheap hammocks, I found a design I really like. And it's really inexpensive too! Plus, I had money left to try different things.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Not looking down my nose too much here---there is a steep learning curve in hammock camping. We are the blind leading the blind. We have all made one mistake or another and we share our experiences with each other and pool our knowledge here on Hammock Forums. Here are a few common things that may happen to a beginning hammock camper:
    Buy a hammock that is too short
    You might be more comfortable by starting with a hammock that's 11 feet long by 5 feet wide at a minimum.
    Buying a hammock that is way too heavy--if you're gonna carry it on a hike
    Most of us prefer either left lay--that is a diagonal with our feet to the left--or right lay with our feet diagonally to the right--Hammocks with built in bug nets are sometimes either left lay or right lay and can't be changed. Also your natural preference for either left lay or right lay is unlikely to change.
    There is a steep learning curve on insulation--that is required.
    There is lots to learn here and we've all made some costly beginner mistakes. Almost every week I read a post about someone trying to hang with stretchy suspension rope and or straps--then they sag down to the ground overnight.
    Learn and have fun and we will relearn and have fun too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think some "beginner" hammocks are the ones you might buy at a store, where after buying one you find yourself wanting to know more about hanging, which leads you here, which leads you to a whole 'nuther world of hammocks and paraphernalia. ENO and Hennessy come to mind, maybe Grand Trunk and Kammok, Yukon, etc. that you might see more of on established online channels.

I don't know that there are "expert" hammocks, but perhaps expert setups with small tarps or other weight saving components that mean you need some additional technical savvy.

p.s. speaking of setups, I do think you can buy a more "beginner" setup that will somewhat reduce the initial steepness of the learning curve PG mentions; stuff like the Hennessy tarp that attaches to the suspension so you don't hang it separately, like webbing buckles that to me are the ultimate in simplicity, or perhaps an insulated hammock like the Sheltowee where you don't have to worry about UQ gaps - in that regard, I guess the Sheltowee comes closest to actually being a beginner hammock, or perhaps better said as a hammock that is good for beginners.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    I must say as a beginner in my beginner hammock. I languish for the knowledge of your expert thoughts. I'm learning length and width, bug net pros/cons and tarp options... after tent camping for decades this whole new spin on camping has really jump started my long lost sleeping camping desires. Thank you!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Interesting OP, it seems to me that hammocking is a counterintuitive experience to a degree. In sports the "expert" equipment such as golf clubs, race cars, and motorcycles require a higher level of skills and precision to get the most out of them. It seems to me that it is the opposite in hammocks since an 11' hammock is easier to hang and offers a larger sweet spot. The exact opposite is true in golf, beginner clubs or game improvement clubs offer larger sweet spots and other features to make it easier to play. The smaller the hammock the more precision it takes to hang it and the smaller the sweet spot the smaller the tolerance for error.

Then there are features a good cottage hammock maker like pappa smurf can add a myriad of options and will be more than happy to offer consultation as to materials and function of the options. That is where the expert hammock is similar to the expert gear in sport, the custom fit and consultation from the craftsmen that have the expertise to put you in the gear that gives you the best opportunity for success.

That said, my personal go to hammocks are simple gathered end hammocks and bottom entry bugnets. But I have sampled what may be among the most advanced hammocks out there and while I have not personally had the opportunity to set one up and the comfort of it was outstanding, the Bonefire Gear insulated hammock. Great stuff there.

The fun of it all are all the choices, jump in the waters fine.

Quote Originally Posted by WIinFocus View Post
    Hey Everyone,

After combing through a bunch of forum posts I have noticed a trend of calling some models of hammocks "beginners" and some hammocks people considered "expert" or "advanced".

Now I know there are slight different materials that can be used, hammocks weight considerations, length, weight limit but in the end aren't we all just looking to hang between two pines?

What makes some look down upon a "beginner" hammock and how does someone know when they have reached the Shangri-La of expert hammock models. So far all I can see as the main difference is how many green backs you throw at them and being able to say "I only use....(throw in expensive hammock model)".

Love to hear your inputs,
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 07-13-2016 at 06:48.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

I currently use Yukon outfitters hammocks, I bought them from woot.com when on sale. They are cheap priced hammocks same with the tarps that I got from them. In the end (and maybe its my penny pinching nature) after they are all set up I can't see how spending any more money on a creme dela creme hammock is going to bring me a better nights sleep.

BUT.........

With saying that I have never tried out a warbonnet or anything to that sort, so I can't judge too much. Maybe I would sleep 11 hours instead of just 10 out in the piney woods!
    Luke - Hanging Between Two Pines

www.WIinFocus.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If you are happy with what you have and how it performs for you...it is the best hammock for you no matter what others believe to be "beginner" verses "expert". IMO, there is no such thing.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    My personal experience is that longer and lighter is better.Price is not the key indicator.You can get some pretty awesome hammocks from Dutch at a reasonable price,with or without nets,or even with a partial net.Personally,I like a tarp at least a foot longer than the hammock.Also,my experience with straps and buckles has been good.Some prefer whoopie slings for a few oz in weight savings but that big honkin' strap and titanium buckle has a calming psychological effect on some of us old people............Oh,and there really is no learning curve for underquilt selection.The curvy part of that scenario is PRICE RESISTANCE.However,once you get tired of slipping off a pad and decide to spring for the downy goodness,chances are you will stay with feathers.Ditto for the top quilt.If you get cold with the feathers under you it's time to make an adjustment which is easy enough to do.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast