Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I think you have the wrong terms and the wrong impression. Maybe some of the stuff sold to the college lounge crowd like some stuff from ENO and Byer could be called entry level as they are under sized and heavy for most folks. OTOH one could do a very nice hammock at a very low cost before Dutch got into the picture. Now it's even easier. With price not much of an issue and low cost low weight available there is no place to go but something like basic vs deluxe meaning "how deep are your pockets?". It's really a foolish distinction once one gets into real hammocks meant for sleeping not hanging out.

FWIW 2. I would not call Hennessy anything but a nice integrated system. Hardly something to complain about. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have found that if you are not having fun hammocking then you are doing something wrong.
    Bingo
    Luke - Hanging Between Two Pines

www.WIinFocus.com

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I think the most important thing is to get outdoors, even if you go ground dwelling. Second most important is hanging. What you hang in is of less importance. I buried half a fortune in outdoor gear in general (not only hammocks), but that is my thing, some other hanger spend his or her money on a car or a family or something, that is their things, I don't look down on them for that.

As for the difference, it has already been nailed; features. Shelves, integrated bug nets, tieouts, hooks and flashing lights. All add to versatility and also price...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Without reading any responses to the OP, I will answer my belief knowing that there is no right or wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by WIinFocus View Post
    Hey Everyone,

After combing through a bunch of forum posts I have noticed a trend of calling some models of hammocks "beginners" and some hammocks people considered "expert" or "advanced".

Now I know there are slight different materials that can be used, hammocks weight considerations, length, weight limit but in the end aren't we all just looking to hang between two pines? Pines or Oaks or Cedars, tripods, whatever. Yes, yes we are.

What makes some look down upon a "beginner" hammock and how does someone know when they have reached the Shangri-La of expert hammock models. So far all I can see as the main difference is how many green backs you throw at them and being able to say "I only use....(throw in expensive hammock model)". (A)To me a beginner hammock is a Mass produced, fabric usually parachute nylon with or without 3 panels that have a seam in your sleep spot, ropes for connections or carabiners with a heavy double sided strap that you can get off the shelf. (B)You know the "Shangri-La" feeling when you fall asleep in 2 minutes and wake up 8 hours later after a "nap".
    Love to hear your inputs, You can make your own hammock or buy one to get the best sleep in the woods or maybe even at home. You don't need a "beginner or expert" hammock for this. After you test multiple hammocks made from different fabrics and different configurations, bells, and whistles, you can get a better idea of the "beginner" models difference from the others.
    Good luck in finding your best hang at the expense you're comfortable with. I still only use my DIY gathered end ripstop nylon for over 5 years that cost me $1.50/yrd at 4 yards and $10 for a DIY Fronkey style bugnet. Very inexpensive at less than $20 for all including suspension and I get to brag at making it myself. I have upgraded a few items, but still worth noting that you can DIY for less.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Great information from everyone, thanks for all the input as normal!

so the plan is to see how these work for awhile then slowly switch over to local guys more custom / lightweight models.

Thanks again everyone,
    Rather than switching over, why not come to a group hang and try out a bunch if different makes and models??

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Whatever you are comfortable sleeping in is the best hammock for you. As long as you are outside who cares?

My first hammock camping was in a army surplus hammock. It's maybe 7ft by 3ft . and I strung it guitar string tight and slept in it in fair weather when camping with my kids. Even without a diagnol lay and perfect hang angle, it was still better than a tent. A desire for bug protection started research that led me here.
    My next hammock was a Yukon mosquito hammock. The comfort level was so awesome in comparison. I was happy with my Yukon until I decided to nake my own hammock, now the Yukon is my son's rig.
    The main difference between beginner and advanced is in the eyes of the owner I think. Some folks love their " beginner hammocks". So forget the labels and just go hang a hammock.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I currently use Yukon outfitters hammocks, I bought them from woot.com when on sale. They are cheap priced hammocks same with the tarps that I got from them. In the end (and maybe its my penny pinching nature) after they are all set up I can't see how spending any more money on a creme dela creme hammock is going to bring me a better nights sleep.

BUT.........

With saying that I have never tried out a warbonnet or anything to that sort, so I can't judge too much. Maybe I would sleep 11 hours instead of just 10 out in the piney woods!
    Well, and here is where we start getting into the difference, you see. I began like you: "I sleep fine" said I, "my system is simple, why would I need all of this other stuff?"

So one day me, with my Walmart blue Hammock, Walmart back packers tarp, decided to try the slightly more expensive, and very much less blue hammock from Sports Authority... and oh what a difference in comfort that $10 made...

and with that I had changed my mind. Next thing I know, I've ordered a Bullfrog tarp and Summer Quilt set from Wilderness Logics, then a winter quilt set from UGQ, now ive just ordered an Old Man Winter Tarp, and next up will be my 3rd hammock upgrade, now that I'm finally dialing it in. Each one I get closer and closer, and I can't believe I ever settled for what I began with.

Happy hammock hunting!
    ~WalksIn2Trees

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tier Gear Goshawk
    Tarp
    Tier Gear Bettong
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    All I can add is that we all go into the hobby with a minimum of information and it is only trial and error that helps you find a system that suits You.
    At least that is what I have found over the years that I have spent in the outdoors.
    Last edited by AussieLuke; 07-14-2016 at 04:22.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    I don't know what is considered a beginner vs an expert. But I just ordered a Dutch hammock and WL tarp and underquilt for the weight savings. I think my ENO would have been fine, but it was definitely heavier than the cottage vendors' stuff. Plus I like that I am supporting the cottage industry. These are the people who are truly passionate about the hammocks. And giving them my money instead of a big company, means that the little guys will survive and they can keep innovating and helping evolve the hammock technology.
    This is why I am going to get us all Warbonnet hammocks (well that's my plan right now anyways!). I have been in a Hennessy and another friend of mine has one too. Nothing wrong with them at all. I did find out though they are made overseas. I prefer to fully support a company that actually manufacturers/crafts their product right here in the USA. The Warbonnets aren't really too much more than the Hennessy, and have some features that are nice that the HH's don't have. Trying out hammocks before buying is a great thing too. I'm thinking one of these regional hangs is a GREAT way to check out different hammocks! As to "beginner" and "expert", there are some great posts here about that so I don't have much to add. It's really about how much you can spend, your comfort, and what features make sense to your style of camping, oh, and if you like to sew and make your own stuff! Is a DIY hammock an "expert" hammock by nature? Huh, maybe...

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    There are a lot of generalities tossed around by the "experts" here. All are true for those individuals, but none are true for everyone. Longer, wider, lighter, darker, younger, etc... are all personal preferences. Mostly the main differences are the modifications ppl made to off te shelf hammocks which are now sold as designer hammocks. Off the shelf works fine, for most ppl without all the mods, bling and refinements. Most here are really just super stoked about hammocks and the "best". The majority of ppl using hammocks dont know hf.com even exists, nor care since the "beginner" hammocks work just fine. In the end, a hammock is just a sheet of fabric strung between posts, no more, no less. We here at hf.com like to make it more complicated, but it really isnt.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast