Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

First time backpacking with a hammock!

This past weekend, I went on my first hammock backpacking trip! My friend and I hiked the Interloken trail and did one overnight in the Finger Lakes National Forest. I am hooked on hammock camping! If I was smart, I would have taken more pictures, but I was so busy enjoying myself and being in the moment, that I completely forgot! I will take more pics next time!

I was originally going to tent camp. I've been browsing this site for a while and was interested in hammock camping, but I didn't think I had the right stuff. I only had an ENO Doublenest that I use in the backyard. But then I started reading posts that said that they go out with their ENOs. So even though it wasn't the most ideal gear, I decided to give it a try. I ordered a fronkey bugnet from Dutch and a Kelty Noah tarp from amazon. I had an ENO Ignitor top quilt and a Nemo Cosmo Air pad that I use tent camping.

Even though my gear was not the best. It was heavy and bulky and my pack weighed more than 40 lbs! But I had such a great time!

I am never going back to tent camping! I love hammock camping. I dont think I set it up the best way possible. But my tarp didn't blow away. The bugs didn't get me. And I didn't fall to the ground! I had so much fun.

My back hated me, so I wanted some new lighter weight hammock gear. There are so many gear recommendations, that I was originally really confused about what to get. But the overall advice seems to be: "it depends on the person. so just try as much gear as you can". So I decided that this is actually a new hobby for me, so I wasn't going to worry about finding the perfect hammock by reading. I was going to find my perfect hammock by trying ALL OF THEM. Well. not all. but as much as I can get my hands on.

I am starting my quest. I ordered a Dutch 11' Hexon 1.0 hammock, a Wilderness Logics 3/4 Underquilt (I went with 3/4 since I liked the weight savings and I was going to get a sit pad for camp anyway), a Dutch folding sit-pad, Dutch whoopie suspension, and a tadpole tarp. I am going to use my ENO Ignitor top quilt for now since it seemed to work fine. I know I will probably upgrade in the future, but for now it seems to work fine. I also already had the Fronkey bug net from Dutch so i am just using that.

I dont know if what I ordered will work great for me, but figuring it out is half the fun, right?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That's great!

I'm in the process of trying to lighten my load as well. It's an ongoing process. Good luck and have fun with your new addiction... um I mean hobby!

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Awesome...

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Did your friend have a hammock also? If not, how jealous was he/she?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    Did your friend have a hammock also? If not, how jealous was he/she?
    My friend did not have a hammock. But he did try mine out. And I think he is going to get his own once he has the funds. He is thinking about an XLC with double layer so that he can use his pad for now. He is also thinking about a mamajamba tarp with doors. So that he can leave the doors at home during the summer and then take the door kit with him in the winter. Or will he be better off with the super fly instead?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    That's great!

I'm in the process of trying to lighten my load as well. It's an ongoing process. Good luck and have fun with your new addiction... um I mean hobby!
    Yes it's definitely an addiction. I am on this site on all my free time. And when I'm not, I'm looking at vendor websites at all the gear I can be buying.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoppies, Beetles
    I am new to this also and I got the Superfly, as crazy rain and wind seem to follow me around. My first hammock trip saw much rain and 30 MPH winds and the superfly kept me dry and blocked the wind. On the nicer days, I kept in in porch mode, all worked out well.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    My friend did not have a hammock. But he did try mine out. And I think he is going to get his own once he has the funds. He is thinking about an XLC with double layer so that he can use his pad for now. He is also thinking about a mamajamba tarp with doors. So that he can leave the doors at home during the summer and then take the door kit with him in the winter. Or will he be better off with the super fly instead?
    The difference in weight is 3 oz. The mamajamba with doors is 22 oz. The superfly is 19 oz. I would recommend getting two tarps ... the edge and the superfly, the cost difference is $45. The edge is 11.25 oz. The mamajamba + doors will cost you $190. The edge + superfly will cost you $235. The superfly will be stronger at the doors since they are integrated and the edge will be lighter than mamajamba /wo doors in the summer. I bought the edge in the summer and saved up the money for the superfly in the next few months leading up to winter. Ultimately, the choice is up to the hiker and their environment.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I feel your excitement and verve. Stay with it...you'll find your groove.
    Whooooooo Buddy)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny85 View Post
    I am new to this also and I got the Superfly, as crazy rain and wind seem to follow me around. My first hammock trip saw much rain and 30 MPH winds and the superfly kept me dry and blocked the wind. On the nicer days, I kept in in porch mode, all worked out well.
    Yes I really like the super fly too. how do you set it up in porch mode?

Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    The difference in weight is 3 oz. The mamajamba with doors is 22 oz. The superfly is 19 oz. I would recommend getting two tarps ... the edge and the superfly, the cost difference is $45. The edge is 11.25 oz. The mamajamba + doors will cost you $190. The edge + superfly will cost you $235. The superfly will be stronger at the doors since they are integrated and the edge will be lighter than mamajamba /wo doors in the summer. I bought the edge in the summer and saved up the money for the superfly in the next few months leading up to winter. Ultimately, the choice is up to the hiker and their environment.
    Yes good points. I will show him your posts. Or better yet, I will get him to sign up on the forums. This is actually my plan. I got the tadpole (which seems really similar to the edge) as my small tarp. And I plan on getting the superfly when I need more coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I feel your excitement and verve. Stay with it...you'll find your groove.
    Whooooooo Buddy)))))))
    Shug
    Thanks shug. I enjoy watching your vids. My favorite part about them is that your love for hammocks really comes through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast