Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honeymoon- Quitting our jobs, Loading up our Bikes, and Going Cross Country USA!!

Hi all,

This is my first post on here but I've been using these forums for quite awhile doing research on hammocks and I'm grateful for the info posted here.
    My wife and I just got married on June 25 and our honeymoon plans are to go cross country on our bikes for several months, there is not currently a return date! Our original plan was Italy but she suggested this trip (she's a keeper ). We've got a pair of vstrom 650's that are pretty well equipped and we'll be quitting our jobs so that we can really go all in. We'll be leaving mid august and taking the northern route out to washington, heading down california, then the southern route back east stopping at the florida keys and then ending back on the east coast.

This may very well be the trip of a lifetime as we're talking about kids in the next year or two so we're trying to make the most of it while spending the least. The plan is to hammock camp, couchsurf, and stay with friends and family whenever possible. Which brings me to the reason for this post. We currently have two treklight hammocks (one single and one double), a pair of hammock socks, a revolt uq from enlightened equipment, and some lightweight sleeping bags. We need to get a pair of tarps and one more uq, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I really like the revolt but we're leaving in mid august and I don't think we'd be able to get a second quilt from EE in time so I'm looking at alternatives. As far as the tarps, I have no idea who makes a good tarp and who doesn't, I've been looking at a few from Hennesy that seem solid. I do know that coverage would be more important than size and weight. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Also, I've been looking at Handy Hammock stands and decided that I want one for those times when we want to set the hammocks up somewhere without suitable hanging points (fields, beaches, etc). If it works as advertised there really isn't anywhere you can't hang a hammock which would certainly ease some of our worries in that department. I found that Handy Hammock is in the process of changing hands via facebook and they are not available for purchase right now. If anyone has one or two they'd like to part with I'd be happy to buy it off you!

Also, if anyone has any route suggestions, places to see, would like to meet up, or anything along those lines feel free to chime in! Thank you in advance!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, this is a trip of a lifetime. Congrats on the wedding and have fun as it's all down hill err marriage from here on. For tarps check out Simply Light designs. He's quick and the tarps are very light and work very good and you will want a good tarp for this long of a trip. How long do you expect this adventure to take?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    What a great idea!
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    I'm sure you will be coming thru my area at some point (Mobile ,AL.)as im just a few miles away from I-10 . Anyway keep me in mind . I know a good place to hang a hammock /shower and what not.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Definitely a great trip and the perfect bikes for it. I did plenty of camping with mine! I miss that bike.

04-RightFrontBags.jpg

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Awesome. My dream trip. I love bike packing. Differance is I'm on bicycle. Lol. When you come through Florida, I'm in Hernando county if there is anything I can help you with let me know. Local places to hang, get food ect.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Best bike I ever had was a WeeStrom. Have fun and good luck to both of you

Thanks for the support everybody! We'll be coming back to the east at the end of the trip so I might message some of you for tips on good spots. The wee is a great bike on and off road and ours are well set up for the trip. We'll be doing some suspension work before we go and tires of course. Has anyone been out west much? The main worry is that we'll have trouble finding hanging spots out that way. The east has plenty of trees and it's familiar territory but from Kansas to the west coast is a bit of a grey area for us. Also, does anyone know if the national parks allow hammocks? We got a park pass and I imagine that even if they don't, as long as you're far enough from the main camping areas you won't be bothered.

@Trailslug I checked out Simply Light Designs and I think that's going to be the winner. His prices are better than I've seen and he has a tarp specifically for motorcycles so that must be fate. His story definitely resonates with me as well. Thanks for the tip!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix281able View Post
    Thanks for the support everybody! We'll be coming back to the east at the end of the trip so I might message some of you for tips on good spots. The wee is a great bike on and off road and ours are well set up for the trip. We'll be doing some suspension work before we go and tires of course. Has anyone been out west much? The main worry is that we'll have trouble finding hanging spots out that way. The east has plenty of trees and it's familiar territory but from Kansas to the west coast is a bit of a grey area for us. Also, does anyone know if the national parks allow hammocks? We got a park pass and I imagine that even if they don't, as long as you're far enough from the main camping areas you won't be bothered.

@Trailslug I checked out Simply Light Designs and I think that's going to be the winner. His prices are better than I've seen and he has a tarp specifically for motorcycles so that must be fate. His story definitely resonates with me as well. Thanks for the tip!
    I don't have a wee but I do have two others (Honda 919 and Honda ST-1300A). I haven't done a lot of motocamping to date but it's one of the reasons I got into camocking (as my daughter has dubbed it) I do ride everyday. I assume you will be needing tires and possible maintenance along the way depending on how much "extra" miles you put on exploring. For info on motocamping and general info (or huge amount of info even for the wee) and even hammock camping on a motorcycle take a look at ST-owners forum. It's not only ST related and many ride different bikes. The amount of info and/or assistance available at any time is priceless.

PM me if you need more info.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Here's a route recommendation when you hit California. Ride Hwy 1 along the coast from Monterey to San Luis Obispo since you're heading South. The views and scenery are incredible. I usually do this ride at least once a year from San Diego and I never get tired of it. You'll pass through Big Sur which has tons of camping areas. Sounds like an excellent adventure. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast