Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors

When to go w/out an UQ?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I'll apologize now. I'm still somewhat new to hammock camping and until now have always needed an under quilt due to low temps. But in 2 weeks I'm headed to the Smokies and don't know if an under quilt will be necessary. At what temperature is it generally safe to not use an under quilt without getting a cold butt? If I take an UQ it will be a HG Phoenix 40, but I'm concerned that it'll be too warm. Thanks

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    the standard answer is that you may begin to appreciate an underquilt at 70 degrees or less. I also use an HG Phoenix 40 and I can say you will not get too hot at night. I'd take it just in case.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Two things: first, there are places in the Smokies that have never seen an 80+ temperature. Not a place to think you can get by without an UQ. Second is to be sure of where you're going - I don't know if you're making the plans or not, but you have to camp at designated sites in the Smokies, many of which are shelters where you're expected to stay in the shelter.

Otherwise, an expected low of 70 is generally the dividing line between comfort and too cool. Doesn't take much to make you cool in a hammock. Fortunately, when you have a low of 70, you don't have much cool and the hammock makes the most of it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable hanging overnight in the Smokies without an underquilt. Temps are always cooler in the mountains and can drop significantly at night. I just did 3 nights in Shenandoah. Temps up in the mountains were 10-15 dog cooler than down low and ranged from 85-90 during the day to low 60s at night.

I'd bring your Phoenix and if you're too warm simply loosen the UQ suspension to allow it to vent. No worries at all.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never actually tried sleeping without bottom insulation. Before I got an underquilt, I always used a pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    reflective foam
    Suspension
    Straps
    While camping in Georgia last September, the day time temp was in the 90's. Needless to say, after a 12 hour motorcycle ride to get there, I was tired and hot. Took a shower and laid in the hammock and fell asleep. Woke up around 11 pm that night freezing. According to Weather Bug, the temps in the area were around 68. I don't know how long it was that temp, but I was shivering. I'm sure that it was because the breeze had stole my heat and caused the chill, but once I put the UQ on, I was good to go the rest of the night. Didn't make that mistake the rest of the trip.

When I was a kid, I had an old canvas hammock and even in the dead of summer, I couldn't get comfortable in it because of the heat loss from under even with my sleeping bag. The cutoff temp will differ from person to person, but I always hang the UQ loosely when I retire. That way all I have to do is tighten up the ends when I start feeling the chill.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    I'm sure in the tropics you would not need an UQ, but in the Smokies you will be sorry if you do not bring one. The 40 degree Phoenix MAY be more than you need, but not by much. If you had a 50 degree UQ, I would take that. You can always loosen it up until the night gets colder if you start out too hot.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    Even in warm weather, set it up and get in and let it warm up then pull the UQ away a little bit and feel the cool air immediately. You can even do this indoors. I wouldn't go without an UQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This question is active in several treads. Here's one:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...tom-insulation

• + New Posts