Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH - Expedition

Five Day Father/Son Appalachian Trail hike (Nantahala) - guidance/advice needed

Hi All ... planning a five day father/son hike NOBO from US64-Winding Stair Gap/NC (109.8) to Fontana Dam Visitors Center (166.1) at the end of this month. It is our first child leaving for college so trying to squeeze just a little more time in together before he starts his freshman year. We have gone through Scouts together (Tiger Cub to Eagle) but this is our first trip greater than 2 nights out in the woods.

Both hammock hangers, he is stuck to his Eno w/separate rain fly and sometimes a bug net and me with the Hennessy Expedition. Son is more of a light weight hiker and endeavors to keep the gear in this pack >20 lbs (including the weight of his pack, excluding food + water). I will allow for some comforts such as a camp chair (1.5 lbs) and coffee press (14 oz) but try to keep my pack to >24 lbs (not including food + water).

I have the AT trail guide and maps. I have also read a number of blogs as well as visited the Nantahala National Park website ...but still have not found the definitive answer: do you have to camp out at a shelter each night or can you set-up camp wherever along the trail? (The trail guide sometimes mentions campsites away from the shelter - but then have read/heard mention of having to stay in the shelter - and some have said that you make a reservation somehow?

We are well versed in "Leave No Trace" and are not looking to set-up a new fire ring each time we stop. We are thinking, however, that we might want to do different distances than those segments in between the existing shelters.

So ... is it okay to camp along the trail? Are there a number of established campsites along this section of the AT? Or do you have to stay at the shelters? Are you supposed to make reservations? The guides are pretty silent about the US64-Winding Stair Gap/NC (109.8) trailhead ...any insight here? Can we drop a car at the Fontana Visitor Center for a number of days?

According to the guides, water seems to convenient/not scare - hoping that is true even in the dead of summer. We are also planning on resupplying at the Nantahala Outdoor Center so that we only have to carry two days worth of food at a time. Any insight on these two things also welcome.

If anyone has done these sections before then any advice or comments you have would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I have not hiked the AT in the area you're talking about, or very little else of it either for that matter

However I may be able to help with your main question, i.e. "do you have to camp in the shelters?"

The Nantahala area you will be hiking in is a National Forest, and not a National Park. My understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can camp practically anywhere in the NNF without a permit or paying a fee except in designated camping areas where permits and fees are required, and those areas should be well marked and easily identified.

As long as you and your son practice good "leave no trace" ethics there shouldn't be any problems camping wherever you choose.

As far as parking specifics and etc. I simply don't have any light to shed. Maybe if you were to call the NOC someone there with local knowledge might be able to answer those kinds of questions. I'm sure there are some forum embers here that know as well, and hopefully they'll see this post and chime in.

You might send a PM to "FireInMyBones" who has hiked that area fairly recently and posted videos of his experience.

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how it went!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I am happy to help if I can. I hiked that section about a year ago, but it was very well cut out. Since it is later in the summer, I'd expect some growth to have started along some of the more open parts of the trail, anything in the green tunnel should be fine.

I'd bring something to keep ticks off either having treated your gear before coming out, or spray while you are there.

There is a good deal of water through this stretch and I only treated my water at a single sketchy source (I don't treat springs where it bubbles out of the ground with nothing up hill). But with the heat, I'd bring a filter or Aquamira for the larger water sources if the smaller ones aren't running.

Camping along the trail is fine, but there are usually several places that this is easier to do than others. The areas I found to be most accommodating were within a 1/4 mile of the the designated campsites. You don't have to make reservations until you are in the Smokies or Shenandoah.

I always recommend the Pocket Profiles for the AT from AntiGravity Gear. This stretch is on profile #2.

Dropping the car off at Fontana is what I did and several others seam to do the same. There has been some construction going on there, so the spot off the road at the marina where the AT crosses might be a good backup.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    HH - Expedition
    Thanks guys ... much appreciated. I figured that to be the case as we had camped along the trail in the past - but that was in north GA and then separately on a side trail near Standing Indian. Think the confusion dealt with Smokey Mountain National Park (as opposed to the National Forest that Nantahala is).

Try to decide on trying to arrange for a shuttle from a car parked at the terminus point or to drop a car there and drive separately the beginning trailhead. Thinking that the Nantahala Outdoor Center can probably provide some good shuttle names.

Will do a trip report when I get back!

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    We did Fontana to NOC last year.
    I posted a trip report here that you can read with a lot of details on where we stopped.

We dropped one car at NOC and parked at the "Fontana Hilton" shelter.

Check this thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=126148

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dudeman_atl; 07-12-2016 at 05:03.

Hammock
    HH - Expedition
    Okay good people ... great trip report above. Based upon some of that and other conversations the following is a rough sketch plan for critique, advice or downright laughs when it comes time to chuck the plan out the window when on the trail. We plan to be flexible enough to let the trail conditions and the toll it takes on us to determine how far we go on any given night. Since we are resupplying at the NOC, food should not be a factor in carrying weight.

Thinking we will either drop a car at Cable Gap, the terminus point, and then drive another to Rock Gap. Alternatively we are looking at a shuttle service that will meet us at Cable Gap and take us to Rock Gap.

Day 1: Depart for Trail, drop car, arrive at trail head by 3:30pm ... Rock Gap -> Swinging Lick Gap (4.9 miles)
    Day 2: Swinging Lick Gap -> Lick Log Gap (11.2 day/16.1 total miles)
    Day 3: Lick Log Gap -> Rufus Mtn Shelter (14/30.1)
    Day 4: Rufus Mtn Shelter - > breakfast/resupply NOC -> Locust Cove Gap (11.5/41.6)
    Day 5: Locust Cove Gap -> Cable Gap/SR 1242 (10.8/52.4 total for trip)

A deciding point for each campsite was the availability of water as dictated by the AT Conservatory map ... we plan on being more flexible - even adding a day if necessary - when on the trail. Fatigue, heat, laziness or the potential for a Zero Day to white water raft in the middle of the trip could set us back another day.

Have sorted through my pack, weighed each item and culled the total down to 23 lbs - without food and water. I did take four "luxury items": a camp chair (1lb 10 oz), a REI coffee press (14 oz), a solar recharger (13 oz) and a small bluetooth speaker for dinner prep/hanging around the fire when there are not other campers around.

Yes, the below is an example of how the old triathlon/'Type A' instincts settle in when planning for a trip this size ... I really cannot help myself! Take a look and let me know your thoughts as to what I am missing and/or should leave behind?

Backpack weights
    Measured
    Item (as packed, w/ stuff sack) lbs oz

Shelter
    Hennessy hammock 3 10
    Coleman fleece bag 50* 1 12
    camp chair 1 13

Cooking
    Pots, cannister + stove 1 10
    REI coffee mug 0 14
    Katadyn water filter 0 14
    water jug 0 6

Clothes
    Rain gear 0 8
    Clothes (long sleeve, socks, etc) 2 0
    toiletries 0 10

Light/fire
    solar lantern 0 4
    headlamp 0 3
    flashlight 0 7
    fire starter log 0 6
    matches/emergency strike 0 4

Misc
    rope/paracord 0 2
    first aid 0 10
    bug spray 0 4
    wipes 0 9
    velcro bag hook 0 2
    playing cards 0 3
    Oontz/bluetooth 0 10

Bag backpack 3 14
    bear bag (inclusive) 0 11
    trash bags - assorted 0 3
    solar recharger 0 13

Hydration Platypus 3L 0 7

As this is our first time hiking the area - and a distance this long - any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by BSAdad; 07-19-2016 at 20:31.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I don't see an underquilt or pad on your list. I know I'm good without until 60 or so but there is potential for cooler temps up at elevation even in the heat of summer. Might throw a fleece in as well.

Plenty of places to cut a little weight on your list too if you're interested.

Have a great hike. That's a great area, I spent most of June near Franklin.

Images
    I did the NOC to Fontana two years ago and my son (14) and I just did Deep Gap to the NOC at the end of May this year. I'll echo every thing said about water treatment. I still filtered everything but I'm a little over cautious about water. Our pack weights all in were 25 lbs and 19 lbs respectively. You guys will have a great time. Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

Just did some of this July 4th weekend with the wife. My advice is lighten your load. Leave the flash light and take the head lamp and solar lamp. Leave the solar charger you will be in and out of the shade so much it will not be worth carrying. Definitely leave the BT speaker. The speaker on your phone will work fine if you need music. There is no ambient background noise to beat out with a loud BT speaker. Others will be on the trail this time of year enjoy their company as it's part of the trail life. Enjoy time with your son. Cell signal is patchy at best, put you phones in airplane mode and just use the camera. Take a small battery pack for charging if needed. You can recharge at the NOC restaurant. The chair is optional, all the shelters in that area have good seating and tables. Personally I would not take a chair expecially if it's a assembly required seat like the REI chair, its up to you.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Lack of bottom insulation is glaring. Would be with a tent, too, right?

My preference this time of year is to go without rain gear and make sure I have a dry set of clothes for when I stop at camp. Of course, you have to put the wet clothes on the next day (fun!!) but they'd probably be wet anyway.

Your itinerary looks fine. Not quite sure why you'd want to start at Rock Gap instead of Winding Stair Gap? Not much in between except some easy hiking which is not a bad way to start, though its also not bad to get tough miles done on your first day, especially if its short.

I've never got water a Licklog, though the book says its there a 1/2 mile off. Given that you'd be going over Siler and Wayah - some of the best views on the trail, along with some relatively tough humps - you might consider stopping short at the Wayah camp a quarter mile north, or the shelter another quarter mile north of that. Can get water while on Wayah or at the shelter. That also gives you the ability to take in a Wayah sunrise in the a.m. - nothing quite like the a.m. view from Wayah - typically a sea (literally looks that way) of valley clouds (if you're not socked with fog).

The extra distance for day 3 to Rufus is pretty insignificant since its mostly downhill to Licklog, but given the views at the Wesser tower, you might want to stay there - good hanging around the shelter, though the shelters over a half mile from the tower.

If you stop at Wesser, you probably won't make it to Locust Cove Gap the next day. You can either stop at the shelter, or better idea is to continue on up the Cheoah if you can. Just as well as the hanging isn't all that great at Locust Cove. Most well-used sites are that way, very cleared, and the trees immediately around the site are typically larger and struggling. I know you want to stay around water, but sometimes its a better idea to gas up and move on up the trail some and find a place to hang - or stop short knowing you can get water soon after you start hiking in the a.m.

p.s. That climb from NOC is a tough hump to make on a full breakfast stomach. Just sayin'.

PM me if you have any questions
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast