HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter811 View Post
    I second this. I switched from the 36% with Petroleum Distillates to the 10% without PD. While they are both effective, and should not harm a person, the versions containing PDs have a noticeable smell to them that the Martin's 10% did not. Also, while they may not cause harm to a person, my daughter with sensitive skin found that the clothes I used the 36% (diluted to 0.5% properly) solution on were causing her to itch. She wasn't aware that they were treated with a different version of the product. I've also heard that the distillates might effect some of the higher end fabrics we use, so I steer clear of those on my hammocks, tarps, nets, etc.

This summer I found that my treated hammock kept a lot of insects away. I still use a half bug net though. Anyone have any experience skipping the bugnet with a treated hammock? It would be nice on those hot and humid nights to be able to roll that back and have better airflow.
    I've been skipping the bug net all summer. A little test in the spring gave me the confidence to do without. A good permethrin treatment has sufficed well, so far. My wife, who happens to get bit 20:1 more than me has also had a similar experience. Bugs have been very minimal, at worst, and nonexistent in the best case. Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use the insecticide brand it is 10% and smells wonderful . I use spray bottles For my clothing . Works for everything but arachnids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    I use the insecticide brand it is 10% and smells wonderful . I use spray bottles For my clothing . Works for everything but arachnids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have found this has no effect on spiders as well
    Treated my camp chair the week before
    I had maybe 20 spiders just hanging on the back of said chair

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10' gathered end
    Suspension
    DIY rap rings
    I use the Sawyer brand on my cloths and gear. On a recent trip while everybody else was pulling ticks left and right, I didn't see a single one on the whole trip. I highly recommend it.

Sent from mobile

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Probably what the previous post was about this is actually intended as a pesticide rather than simply a repellent, so you might want to research why not to use it as it could contain other pesticide ingredients that you don't want in contact with your skin

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much because it IS a pesticide and not a repellent like Deet.

Once dry, it bonds with material at a molecular level. It won't rub or soak off on to skin. Washing will eventually reduce effectiveness,(military treatments state, Life of garment or 50 washes). It also doesn't do UV well, so store in a bag or dark closet.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Hey, do a little research before buying it in bulk... apparently most (but not all) of the bulk stuff has some undesireable ingredient in it. Like an oil or something if I recall.
    +1 on that! I bought some at an agricultural store, diluted it down, saturated my clothes and even one of my silnylon tarps only to come back from lunch and see my hanging tarp's silicone coating was "melting" off.

My Permetherin was in a PETROLEUM base (for use on cattle) rather than WATER based. It ate some tiny holes into one of my articles of clothing, too.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    You're missing my point. What I'm saying is:

Just because it says it has x% Permethrin doesn't mean it ONLY has Permethrin

A Permethrin product intended for lawn & garden use was never intended to be used on things that come in contact with skin... It's intended for around your foundation or whatever... Because of that, the manufacturer may have included additional ingredients to help it last longer, not wash away as easy, and maybe even additional pesticides to get any bugs that escape the permethrin... Ingredients that maybe CAN be absorbed through skin after it dries...Or maybe they didn't... But you don't know until you research that particular product, if you even can... There's always that caveat of "other ingredients"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Probably I'd buddy up with a pesticide person because they can get the real deal in bulk and then you wouldn't have to worry about what else might be in it

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    My rule of thumb: if I wonder about a health issue, I consult a physician. It sounds like others have experienced exactly what you did, so everything is probably fine. But if you have doubts, see a doctor. Not trying to be passive-aggressive in writing that, just prudent.

I wear gloves for protection from chemicals all of the time. In the summer, my hands sweat like crazy and get all puffy and wrinkly. If the gloves are just a wee bit too small, and if I am doing a lot of work with my hands, they start to get numb, especially on the palm near the base of the fingers and at the fleshy base of the thumb.

No single type of glove will protect your skin against everything, but many will protect against most things that you are likely to use. As far as I know, any polymer glove (vinyl, latex, polywhatever) will protect against water and solutions made with water. Some gloves will actually absorb non-water stuff like petroleum distillates, oils, etc., and hold them against your skin. Emulsions (hazy or milky solutions) contain oils and are in this category. The gloves can be weakened. When in doubt, read the precautions on the package. When you buy them, most gloves will have a list of things that they should not be used with. Medical and food-service gloves can be an exception, since there is an assumed usage.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I worked in prepress department at RRDonnelley, We had big plate processors that were basically just giant tubs of corrosive chemicals with squeegee rollers in them. they had to be cleaned weekly, so we had heavy duty elbow length gloves. One day a salesman stopped in and gave us his product samples for these flimsy plastic gloves and aprons, obviously cheap.... I was skeptical just looking at them but gave a pair a try anyway... they began to leak almost instantly and the entire box followed them into the trash in the next instant, aprons and all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast