DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh, I forgot to answer about the difference in a PeaPod and a sleeping bag. In general, none. The concept for a Pea Pod was born when Ed Speer was camping and one of his buddies had the idea to take his large sleeping bag and wrap it around the hammock so as to NOT compress the bottom layer of insulation. Many a person has done the same over the years, making what they have work. It might require a lot of experimentation and maybe even a couple of minor mods, but certainly can be done. I refer you to Shug's way sub-zero adventures with his sleeping bag pod systems.

As for the actual Speer Pea Pod system, it is nothing more than a large bag optimized for quick easy hammock use. It is huge in the middle where the hammock is widest, and tapered sharply on the ends, just like a non-bridge hammock, so that it can cinch down and close off the ends. Then it has a Velcro top closure system that allows quick closure as well as quick escape if needed. A jammed zipper would be unpleasant if closed up in a pod if you had to go NOW or exit fast for any reason. It has a nylon cord(not shock cord) suspension on the ends which allows you to easily remove slack to get the pod to touch your back, or add slack if you either want to add insulation ( like a puffy jacket) or if you are too hot but still need a little something. And the full length Velcro not only helps the nylon cord suspension by supporting along the top full length, but allows a large or small amount of very adjustable ventilation.

Lastly, since it wraps around the hammock from one end to another, If you have it almost fully closed, it is sort of like a mummy bag as far as insulating your head, except without any compression of the bottom layer. It has a huge amount of head/face/nose insulation when needed. You may or may not be able to mod a sleeping bag to accomplish this, or may just have to use separate hoods and/or face masks.

But bottom line, a Speer Pea Pod is just a big old bag, designed from the get go for hammock use.
    Thank you
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I just got a Snugpak Cocoon. Its more or less the same as the Speer but synthetic instead of down, zip not Velcro and not as expensive. When Snugpak first rolled it out, there were ALOT of problems with it.... Cheap/ small zippers that hung up on the too small baffle, single line stitches on the end loops, no instructions on how to hang it, end loops ripped out and the list goes on. They have apparently listed to the feedback and redesign the whole thing. The version I got is totally different than the original. Heavy duty YKK main zipper with added textured/ different color interior and exterior zipper pulls, beefed up stitches on the end loops that now are longer and extend into the cocoon for support, included shock cord on all 4 corner loops for suspension with clear instructions on how to hang it, a thicker baffle that is upgraded to prevent the zippers from hanging, better quality control means I found zero loose or short stitches also. It is a bit on the heavy side, but it a great alternative to the Speer I think for less money. Might not get you down to 10° or 20° alone but that's not a big deal for me BC when I use it in those low temps I'll be able to bring my UQ+ TQ and not have to worry about extra weight.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arczeneb View Post
    Hammock/Exped Dreamwalker combo when needed. Noticed how much this overlaps my hammock. Me fairly short and lightweight. Used with a Big Agnes horse thief goose bag still enough room to sleep on my side even curl up. Drawback just cords used for the hood and foot so reinforce cords not to damage the bag. I found it works when needed in cold chilly weather. Need more toss a top quilt blanket over toasty open and vent.
    Works for some others not so that's the options available.

Attachment 134257
    I have one of those, I should try it like that. Its just that when nature calls, it sure is nice to get up out of the hammock while wearing it - though you do have to be real careful, ifyouknowhatimean. I'm wondering about using this and other bags in pea pod style and if it isn't possible - probable? - that there might be gaps underneath where gravity does its thing? Perhaps the gaps are less susceptible to drafts than a typical UQ?

As for the TQ/UQ combo and not getting the sleeping bag effect... while it can be more difficult to dial in the UQ, when you do, the UQ snugs around you so that there is plenty of overlap between the edges of the UQ and of the TQ - enough so that you typically have double the coverage there, more than making up for the sleeping bad being enclosed. Indeed, there can be times when the TQ edges get tossed around and you lose that side coverage and get a little cool air. It happens, there is a learning curve, but about the same as learning how not to blow all the hot air out of the sleeping bag head hole.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Snugpak cocoon

Thanks for the info. I use a Jarbridge 3 season, my zero synthetic mummy as a TQ. I can ground sleep zero with mummy but figured I'd lose some of that with a hammock and a 3/4 UQ rated to 20 (choices made since most of the trips are perfect for that set up). I think the snugpak cocoon may be just the extra oomph I need for winter camping. Usually gear weight is less of an issue since we are either almost car camping or loading a sled.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Thanks for the info. I use a Jarbridge 3 season, my zero synthetic mummy as a TQ. I can ground sleep zero with mummy but figured I'd lose some of that with a hammock and a 3/4 UQ rated to 20 (choices made since most of the trips are perfect for that set up). I think the snugpak cocoon may be just the extra oomph I need for winter camping. Usually gear weight is less of an issue since we are either almost car camping or loading a sled.
    I used my Snugpak cocoon for the first time outside last night with temps around 47° and 20mph wind gusts down on my beach and was toasty warm. The thick baffle kept the win from penetrating the zipper, and the holes at the ends kinda tucked themselves into he bottom of the hammock so cold air didn't creep in. Overall I was super happy with its performance. Cant wait to see how low I can take it but I'd imagine 32° isn't out of the question with just it alone.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123