Help check my suspension system before I purchase everything!

Hi, all.

First off, I'm brand new to Hammock Forums. So new, infact, that it took me a couple hours to try and find how to submit a new thread on this forum. Anyway, after much perusing of the internet and advice asking from the people over at r/hammock & r/hammockcamping, I've decided on the Dutchware 11ft Netless Wide hammock w/ Fronkey Bugnet. I'm a 6ft, 145 lb male so I'll be okay with the single layer.

After all that, I had more questions on the suspension, and I decided to try this set up.

Dyneema/Polypro Tree Straps to a Marlin Spike Hitch, to whoopie sling attached to a continuous loop via a Dutch biner.

I'd be a recreational hiker/camper and long distance journeys are in my future, but not for another year or so.

So, how does my suspension system sound? I'm not THAT weight conscious, and I like the waterbreak of the biner.

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    I like the whoopie hooks better. They are smaller and more weight conscious. You will get a natural water break with the tail of the whoopie sling. The hook will likely act as smaller water break as well. Sounds like a great setup to me regardless of what you choose. Everyone has their favorites. That's the beauty about this, it's all customizable. I use to prefer pre-made hammocks, now I enjoy making them and customizing them myself. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome! and Thank you for the welcome! Hammock camping is a bit overwhelming, but it's almost rush inducing finding new ways to constantly make my set up better, and especially when I don't even have a set up to begin with. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I've been a lurker on this website, and I'm glad I finally got my account set up.

If you're going to go with the dyneema/polypro straps then you might as well do a spider or cinch bugs rather than a whoopie sling. Less fiddle factor and everything is pretty easy to set up, even if it's bulky and slightly heavy. I would call this my car camping setup.

If you're going to do whoopies slings with the marlin spike hitch then I'd suggest pulling the trigger on kevlar straps. They're not just lighter but incredibly less bulky. The trick with the kevlar straps is that they don't like the sun so they wouldn't be a good fit if you're planning on camping in one spot for days on end. I would call this my hiking/backpacking setup.

To be clear, you certainly could go with your original plan of dyneema/polypro straps with the MSH and a whoopie sling. There's nothing wrong with it. No matter what you do, I'm with HammockBackpacker in liking the dutch hook more than a dutch biner.

That said, maybe the best advice of all is just to order all of it and save on shipping costs. Because as soon as you get one suspension, you'll want to start playing with others. This stuff is addictive.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    That's a very functional rig. Simple is good.
    Pretty much what I use, except that I use Spiders instead of marlin spike hitches to make whoopie sling use a breeze.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I know I like a whoopie sling/MS nithch and tree strap. And dutch biner. Find it effective and I like tht I can un-clip my hammock and swap out my whoopies from hammock to hammock.
    Just my preference.
    Some say toe-may-toe...some say toe-mah-toe.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    e_in27, looks like you're off to a flying start! Watch Shug's YouTube videos: Ten part series: How to hang a hammock, tarp and insulation--in particular under insulation--pads and or quilts--so you can avoid the dreaded CBS--cold butt syndrome. Off course if you get cold at 300am--it's a great time to build a fire and drink coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Real happy with my Dutch straps. super light and no stretch as far as I can tell. Agree with others on the whoopie hook over the biner for it's smaller size and ease. You can thread the tail of the tree strap through the eye, which is what I have been doing since day-one, or spring for the Dutch Clip. Or use one of Phantom Grappler's diamond knot setups.. detailed at about the four minute mark.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts