Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Fabric recs for a lightweight hammock?

Hi all,

It's time for me to cross the threshold and make a hammock. No going back now.

I have read a bunch about various hammock fabrics and their characteristics, but I'm wondering if there are other points to consider, or more experiences to share. In particular these posts were very helpful:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1640934
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1646654
    This forum is so great for getting questions answered, I figured one more couldn't hurt!

What I'm looking for:
    - Light weight and low bulk. I'm bikepacking and have limited room for gear. Always looking to go lighter and smaller.
    - I'm fairly lightweight myself -- 125lbs. -- so can get away with stupid-light things in some cases.
    - Comfort: I'm betting I would prefer more stretch, and soft is always good, since I'm aiming to go TQ/UQ soon. But it doesn't need to be velvety. Just don't want to sleep on plasticky feeling stuff.

Given those points, ROBIC 1.0 looks intriguing. The reviews of this fabric for hammock use on Ripstop By The Roll's site are positive. Anyone here got more experience with it as a hammock fabric? How fragile is it? Plasticky or clammy feeling? Or is it a dreamy cloud?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I had a robic 1.0 and it was OK for me. I'm 165lb. But I sold it right away. Something about it I didn't like; felt sloppy. The fabric itself was nice and soft, but I'm wondering if it was too light. It's definitely not plasticky. I think I just tend to like slightly heavier fabrics.

I'm guessing that the Robic would check your boxes, but I personally have not tried it. I've used the 1.0 HyperD for quilts and I like the feel of it, and at your weight it should work fine for a hammock. The 1.6 HyperD feels wonderful, but you wouldn't be at the UL side of the scale.

I can personally confirm, based on your criteria, to avoid the 1.1 ripstop poly. That is what my hammock is made of, and while it suits me just fine, it is definitely firmer than nylon and has that slick feel. I like a firmer mattress so the low-stretch works for me, and I don't sleep naked (in a hammock, anyway) so the feel of the fabric isn't much of a concern for me.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks guys!

Well, I saw that Ripstop sells sample packs, so I ordered some to check out - ROBIC, 1.6 HyperD, 1.0 HyperD, and 1.55 camo nylon. Very convenient that they offer this. Of course I'm already getting itchy to order enough fabric to make a hammock... all the choices are cheap enough that if it doesn't work out I won't be too sad, and it will be good sewing practice.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm 230 and have used a DIY Robic XL hammock for my last 5 nights in the woods. So far, so good!
    For someone your size I wouldn't worry about it being strong enough. I feel it supports me fine and isn't flimsy like a 1.1 ripstop hammock I laid in once.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I just got some Robic XL and promptly made a 11' Hammock and I like the material better than the 1.1 WB traveler's. The Robic is softer and getting close to quilt material.
    I believe you will be rather happy with it, but your samples will tell if it is too be.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitter
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    This is my second hammock, but first I've made. Other is an ENO DN. I find the Robic to be soft and fairly comfortable. I had never sewn before, so I don't know if I made the process harder.

This is the 11ft Robic hammock with whoopee slings in an ENO Atlas strap bag vs DN/Atlas straps. I am making straps tomorrow, so the weight will increase a little. Still not bad size/weight-wise.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Dutchware Hexon 1.0 hammock is lightweight and strong. Supports 250 lbs.

Images
    You need to find out if you prefer nylon or polyester. I'm afraid that is really a suck it and see.
    I have used HyperD 1.0 and Hexon 1.0, prefer the lack of stetch on the poly Hexon. You sink into the nylon more with the HyperD. Some will like that, some not.
    Both have a nice feel against the skin.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    You need to find out if you prefer nylon or polyester. I'm afraid that is really a suck it and see.
    I have used HyperD 1.0 and Hexon 1.0, prefer the lack of stetch on the poly Hexon. You sink into the nylon more with the HyperD. Some will like that, some not.
    Both have a nice feel against the skin.
    Hexon 1.0 isn't poly. It's nylon, too. Feels great.

However, I did get to try out Intimidator's 1.0 Robic 11' x 62" last weekend. I would choose it over the Hexon 1.0. I was actually pretty sure I would hate it before I laid in it. I usually prefer firmer (or heavier) fabrics for single layers. Maybe it was just the perfect hang or something weird, but I was completely comfortable for several hours in the 1.0 Robic. I will definitely be adding one to my day hike arsenal. I am 6'3" 215#, btw.

At the OPs weight of 125#, I would probably consider a Robic 1.0 as my camping hammock, not just a day hike hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast