Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

St. Louis Area> Anywhere> This Summer

Is there anyone in the St. Louis area that wants to do some short trips between now and the end of August? I finally have enough equipment to really go backpacking, so I'd love to hike with someone more experienced some time. Probably just a short over nighter is all I could handle, but I'd love to at least get out there. Obviously not the best weather, but I'd rather be hiking in the heat than not at all.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I'd be happy to put something together with you. It might be mid to late July but I'm game.
    Gideon

Sorry, forgot to check this earlier. Great, just let me know what would work for you

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I don't hike, but last summer I stumbled onto a really nice area to hang. Ted Shanks area, a few miles north of Louisiana Mo. Right on the riverbank, lots of cottonwood trees to hang in the shade from. Regular entertainment watching the barge traffic on the river. New toilet facility. It obviously gets flooded regularly, since there's no grass, just sandy dirt. Oh, yeah, the big pluss is it's FREE! One drawback.... late fall is duck season. The place fills up with hard drinking hunters, who give you get a sunrise artillery barrage wake-up. Also found an interesting place in the western suburbs of St Louise, called Zombie Road. Its on my list for a return trip with the bicycle to explore more along the Merimec river bike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Cragh View Post
    Is there anyone in the St. Louis area that wants to do some short trips between now and the end of August? I finally have enough equipment to really go backpacking, so I'd love to hike with someone more experienced some time. Probably just a short over nighter is all I could handle, but I'd love to at least get out there. Obviously not the best weather, but I'd rather be hiking in the heat than not at all.
    I am in that area. Hotter that heck right now, but I'm a 'maybe'. I'm not a frequent backpacker, but Three palces I went in the last couple years:
    * Washington State park near DeSoto - nice backpacking loop - downside is no drinkable water (middle of lead belt and dumping issues), so just carry it in. Also a short spur to the campground to retank on water. We'll be car hammock camping there over the 4th (they have nice float trips for cooling off in 98F weather).
    * Meramec state park near Sullivan. Usually dense foliage on the trail. They have a backpacking trail (Wilderness trail), with multiple cleared camp sites. Over Crowded campground, but virtually NO one on the backpacking trail. Site 3 and 4 are pretty nice for a hammock
    * Cuivre River State Park near Troy. Several backpacking trails. Heavily managed wood so the trails are open and not typically overgrown. Share with horse trails. Creeks for water sources. watchouts: great tent sites, but I'm less certain about the right spacing for hammocks; secondly, you have to watch for widowmakers (everywhere) as they leave culled trees standing for owl habitat.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Funny that you mentioned Washington State Park, I was looking for trails closer to St. Louis and stumbled across this; didn't see the water warning/issue. Any of the three would be fine by me. In July and August it'll be hot, buggy, and there will be a lot of vegetation; can't do anything about that. For a "shake down" hike and chance to mess with new gear I think 6 miles is plenty; especially with the heat. An old stand by favorite of mine (if you don't mind the drive) is Whispering Pines trail in Hawn State park. We can hike into Pickle Creek and and camp.

So let's pick a date, then a low mileage spot and let's go for it!

Gideon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    23 & 24 July might work for me. Let me know how this works for you! If that weekend is a stretch then let's pick something in August and get it on the calender so we have it to look forward to!
    Gideon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Gideon; 06-28-2016 at 08:53.

Willing to do a hang and hike only bad part is my days off are Wednesday and Thursday. Always looking for a partner to hang and hike good little spot I have found and did my first solo in was a Quiver River in Troy, Mo did the north Loop a month or so ago. Ran into three other hangers on that trail. Let me know what and when you want to do a trip.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    If I'm ever off on a Wednesday/Thursday, I'll keep you in mind Ducky; might be hard to find hiking buddies during the week but you're certainly more likely to have the trails to yourself!
    My works schedule is killing July for me so I don't think I can make it out on the 23rd and 24th; looks like August is the first time I'll be able to get out....

Gideon

Sorry, I subscribed to this thread, but it stopped sending me notifications for some reason. 23rd and 24th would be great for me if you are still available.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast