Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Man, that's some beautiful trail you have over there neighbor.
    The Manistee National Forest really is amazing with a variety of flora and fauna!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Looks like a great time Dave. Thanks for the report. I'll have to try this one out myself.
    It's not that far from Indiana and lots of sections would make some great out and back trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Buddy, that was another great trip report from you! Thanks for sharing man. I'm going to look this section up as it looks like a nice hike.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbus37 View Post
    Great report Dave. Glad I could help out in any way. I love the NCT in Michigan, especially in the Manistee National Forest.
    Glad you had a great trip.
    Thank you again for all the intel. I could easily see spending more time in the lake area north of Nichols. I loved that section!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpackerGuy View Post
    I've done that stretch of the NCT a few times, and your TR brought back great memories. The stretch of woods from Highbanks to Nichols Lake is one of the prettiest stretches of the NCT in the lower Peninsula, IMO. Sounds like you had a great adventure, thanks for the report!
    Glad I could bring back some memories. I totally agree on that Highbanks to Nichols section. The hills were just enough to make you feel the burn (no pun intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarbin View Post
    I am going to have to hike some of this this summer here in Michigan
    The NCT is a great resource and for me, it's only a couple hours away and makes for a great 2-4 day trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Good report with good photos. Glad you were able to get a hike in and congrats on meeting your 100 mile challenge. I've got a lot of miles to log before I hit the 100 :-)
    Thank you! We'll get you over that 100 miles mark in September when we're in the UP along the shore of Lake Superior!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    Grats on the 100+! Great report and I thank you for sharing.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

I also wanted to add that the map I used is "MI-04 M-37 to Freesoil Trailhead" and it's available here: https://northcountrytrail.org/produc...oil-trailhead/ . Also, I have a .gpx trek available that you can view in google earth, but for some reason the first couple miles only shows my waypoints and not my path followed. Don't know why it didn't register with the big satellite in the sky.

Thank you everyone for the comments. I really enjoyed this trip, but I do wish the temps had been a little lower....I know it hit 80 and for me, it's tough to hike when it's that hot. I also switched from my Flash 45 to the Flash 62 for this trip. At first, I packed the 45 and just felt that it was too jammed and if I had to carry the 64 water bladder, it doesn't carry it well. I'm glad I used the bigger pack, because it made it alot more comfortable for me. And, as per my tradition, I had too many snacks....something I need to work on in the future.

Back in May, I did the 76t St. to M-55 Udell Trailhead section, so here's the link: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...016-53-8-miles
    Last edited by michigandave; 07-08-2016 at 07:58.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I also switched from my Flash 45 to the Flash 62 for this trip. At first, I packed the 45 and just felt that it was too jammed and if I had to carry the 64 water bladder, it doesn't carry it well. I'm glad I used the bigger pack, because it made it alot more comfortable for me. And, as per my tradition, I had too many snacks....something I need to work on in the future.
    It's nice to have options. I used to take my 65L on every trip, but finally bought a 50L. It may seem like a waste of money for some when the 65 "worked", but the 50L just carries better when the load is smaller. You can tighten straps and compress a pack but after a while it just doesn't feel right. And of course, like you said, packing them too tight will do the same. Just like anything in life, it's nice to have the right tool for the job.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Great report. Looks like you had a really good trip on a nice trail. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    Thanks for another great trip to live out on the computer in the a.c. Love the NCT.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12