Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY 11' Ultralight Integrated Bugnet Hammock

This is my first DIY post (actually first post ever), but I am so happy with the outcome I felt like I had to post something. Up until now, I was using a WBBB XLC, which is a great hammock. But I wanted to try my hand at making something a little bit lighter for those longer trips. So I ordered some fabric and decided to give it a go. My first attempt was at a netless hammock made out of 1.9 oz nylon. This was a great learning opportunity because I am not the most experienced at sewing.

Once I got the hang of it, I went to work on my second hammock. As the purpose of making this was to lighten my pack up a bit, I went with 1.0 ROBIC XL in Charcoal for the body, and .5oz nosseum mesh for the netting. I know, most would just say get a bug net instead of doing an integrated net, but I live in Florida where the mosquitoes will carry you away. So I didn’t want to risk it. As I can’t think of a single situation where I needed to zip off my WBBB netting, instead of just flipping it back, I decided to save some weight and just do a #3 non-separating zipper that goes 60% of the way around the body. The ridgeline is made out of 1.75mm Zing-it and the side pull outs are zing it, and 1/8 shock cord.

Overall I am thrilled with the result. Attaching the netting could have gone a little smoother, it may be a little bit tight in a few spots. Trying to sew the .5oz netting is like trying to sew a cloud, it just floats and moves everywhere. I believe a walking foot could have made that job go much smoother. The ending dimensions are 59 ½” wide, and 11 foot long. Total weight including side pull outs (but no stakes) is 10.3 oz. My stuff sack, also 1.0 ROBIC weighs .3oz and my suspension (whoopee slings with Dutch hooks, and 4’ Kevlar tree huggers) comes in at 2.2oz. Which gives me a total packed weight of 12.8oz. The ROBIC is super comfortable and breathable with just the right amount of stretch, and with the 11 foot length and 60” width I am able to get a nice flat lay.

Fabric cut and hemmed

Giving it a lay before attempting to attach the netting

All DONE!

12.8 oz for hammock, stuff sack, and all suspension and tie outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on your first post! Must have been studying pretty heavy to come up with a great hammock! Good job! It came out really nice!
    Looks comfy!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    That is a pretty impressive weight with an integrated bugnet. What do you think about the stretch of the lighter fabric? Do you find a difference in comfort from the WBBB XLC?

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    Looks great! I just made a hammock out of the robic. I have wanted to do an integrated bug net but I am afraid I will totally screw it up. Do you just cut the netting the same size as the cloth? Or how did you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    youtube xtrekker bugnet on hammock and that is basically the best way to do it

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Well done! You complete us!

What trails do you plan for this great set up? Florida Trail? The AT? PCT?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That is so light! Well done.

Oh...and welcome, from Tallahassee.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice job! And congrats on a very impressive first post ☺
    Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    DIY Membr, silpoly
    Very cool! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jmdeacon View Post
    That is a pretty impressive weight with an integrated bugnet. What do you think about the stretch of the lighter fabric? Do you find a difference in comfort from the WBBB XLC?
    I haven't gotten a chance to spend the night in it yet (its like 84 at night here right now). But from just lounging in it, I would say that the WBBB is slightly more comfy. The stretch of the ROBIC almost makes it difficult to adjust your position. Like once you lay in a spot for a minute, it kinda molds around you. Saying it like that makes it sound like its extremely stretchy, but it isn't. That's just the best way I can think to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Congrats on your first post! Must have been studying pretty heavy to come up with a great hammock! Good job! It came out really nice!
    Looks comfy!
    Thanks, I have been reading heavily on here for months now. You guys were the ones that influenced all my hammock purchases. So my wallet is a little upset at y'all. But this is a great community with so much information, it takes several months to wrap your head around it all!

Quote Originally Posted by HammockBackpacker View Post
    Looks great! I just made a hammock out of the robic. I have wanted to do an integrated bug net but I am afraid I will totally screw it up. Do you just cut the netting the same size as the cloth? Or how did you do it?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    As Intimidator mentioned, I followed Xtrekkers guide on youtube. I made a few tweaks to the triangles to give the netting a more rounded look and a smoother transition for the zipper (as seen in the pic below), but for the most part I followed his guide. One thing to note though, I am not sure if it was just due to the super light netting I used, but the netting "grew" a lot when sewing it. So after sewing one side, I had to re hang it, and re-pin the entire other side. So if following his guide, I would not recommend sewing the whole thing in one pass, Had I done that my netting would have been super screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    Well done! You complete us!

What trails do you plan for this great set up? Florida Trail? The AT? PCT?
    For the time being just smaller section hikes of the AT and Florida Trail once it cools down a bit. Hopefully in the future I will be in the position to do a nice long journey on the PCT.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast