Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Clark nx 270 4 season hammock

Is there anyone using the Clark nx 270 four season hammock, and if so is it worth the price?
    I will be thru hiking the AT starting early March of next year

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not sure that the weight makes it an AT kind of hammock. It's 3 lbs. before you even add the tarp which brings it to 4 lbs. Also, "4-season" is just a marketing term - you still have to provide the insulation, which doesn't come with the hammock.

Clark hammocks always struck me as being for car campers or people who don't hike much. I wouldn't want to have to carry it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have one and firmly believe they can't be beat for an all around system! People always whine about weight if it's that big of a deal they should hire a butler. A little work for a ton of enjoyment never killed anyone. By the way I'm dreaming of using mine on the AT.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 56 years old with a rebuilt left knee and weight is a big deal to me - I won't be hiring a butler. As I mentioned before, you're going to be at 4 lbs. before you even add a sleeping bag or any insulation to the NX-270. Here's my current setup:

HG Winter Palace tarp 8.6 oz.
    Continuous Ridgeline with Dutch Wasp & hook plus guylines 2 oz
    HG Phoenix 20* 15.43 oz.
    HG Burrow 20* 18.66 oz.
    Dutch Poly D 1.4 hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension 14.1

Total 58.79 ounces
    or 3.67 lbs.

With 20* insulation included my kit still weighs less than the NX-270 without insulation. If I take my 40* qullts, I come in at 3.36 to 3.4 lbs. If I take my 0* quilts, I'm at 4.6 lbs.

If you're not a gram weenie now, you will be after a few days on the AT. There's something about hiking 2200 miles that makes you forget about hiring a butler and just getting lighter gear that you can actually manage.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the NX-270 and the build quality and features are well worth the coin. I bought the NX after spending 80+ nights in a Clark Vertex that still looks new. Quality and durability have a mild trade-off in weight. I use mine for backpacking and tend to to take plenty of extra bits to make the trips fun. I definitely don't fall not gram weenie status but even if I did it comes in less fully equipped than my high end backpacking tents. I still use both (tents and hammocks) and the NX is certainly the most compact and flexible hands-down.
    If 1/4, half, or even a pound is a critical life decision then maybe this is the wrong hobby?

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I didn't mean to offend anyone but people seem to be against a lot of equipment just because of a few extra grams. I can think of a lot of other ways of cutting weight and not give up my Clark.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Soak, you aren't offending. Notice the OP asked who *had* an NX and what they thought of it. Then someone comes in that apparently doesn't while decrying it being slightly heavier than whatever rig they posted that isn't an Nx, not a bridge or even shielded hammock, (ie nothing remotely apple's to apples). I've noticed it is a trend of a particular person. Not everyone thinks of going for the absolute minimilum weight but apparently not everyone can fathom Hang Your Own Hang.

I *own* the NX along with a few other hammocks and tents. I backpack 75% and kayak camp 25%. Mid-40's, not an athelete and love my rig. In my opinion it would be an excellent AT trail rig. After all, even a few years ago a 6+lb tent +pads, bags, etc. was considered light weight trail rig and those were just fine.before that? 15+lbs. Modern tech is nice but you don't have to go crazy on it.
    Are there lighter rigs? Yes. That wasn't what they asked.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I have the NX-270. I love the NX-270. It will always have a spot in my backpack (even on the AT)! Totally worth the coin.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    I have a NX-270. I love it. I have a NX-250 also & 2 Clark Vertex tarps. You might even call me a Clark fanboy.
    The NX-270 great for car camping (for me). It's great for light backpacking (for me).
    IMO, it's ridiculous being a gram weenie for a trip where you leisurely stroll through the forest for 7 or 8 miles a day for 1-2 weeks. Some people are all about saving weight at all costs - I'm not. Why not take what you really want?

Having said that, I'd never consider taking it on a through hike.

If you've ever through hiked anything, you know where your comfortable weight is (less is always better). It might be right for you, but it's no where near right for me.

I suspect that if you ask people that have successfully through hiked the AT (those that are doing 20 miles a day, every day, for months at a time) their answer may be different than if you ask in a Clark forum. I'd recommend you do that.

Having said that, you can always cut weight elsewhere to make room for the Clark. It's all about what is most important to you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One thing worth noting: this was the OP's first post ever on HF. I know that Clark owners are loyal, but that's what caught my eye. The OP probably doesn't even own a hammock yet, but was considering a Clark for an AT Thru hike. I searched the Internet and HF, and can't find anyone who ever did a thru hike in an NX-270.

It's one thing to be fiercely brand-loyal, but you have to look at the context of the OP's question.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast