My Version of the TurtleLady/TurtleDog Hammock Stand

I’m new to hammocks and this is my first HammockForums post. My interest is hanging indoors, not outdoors. I am a habitual stomach sleeper and as the years go by I have been waking to back pain and spasms, not a good way to greet the day. A hammock should cure me because it’s virtually impossible to sleep on your stomach in one.

I didn’t want to sink large bolts into the walls of my rental house so started looking for a cheap stand. I discovered the TurtleLady/TurtleDog stand. There is extra room in my bedroom so something like it should work for me. But cost was a concern because I still didn’t know if a hammock would work for me. I redesigned the original stand, stripping it down to the most basic parts. I’ll explain my version in (probably too much) detail.
    2016-06-30 10.46.10.jpg

The legs are made of ¾” EMT conduit, 3-10 ft. lengths cut in half. Initially I put them together with tripod lashing using 550 paracord. Didn’t work because the conduit slips through the lashings. Better solution is an assembly of ¼ x 3” bolts and 3” eye-bolts with lock nuts.
    2016-06-08 09.45.39.jpg

Note that the stands in my photos do not have washers because the bolts I initially used are too short. I suggest using the longer ones with washers.
    2016-06-30 10.43.28.jpg

The ridge pole is a 10-½ ft chain-link fence top rail. To reduce the overall length for transport I cut it in half and used the tapered end to refitted the two pieces back together. Holes for ½” bolts are drilled near each end. I hammered ½” bolts into the top of one of the legs of each stand. A bolt head alone will twist and loosen inside the conduit. Threading an additional nut onto the bolt before hammering it in will make for a tight fit.

I spread the legs apart about 3 ft. at the floor then, to maintain the spread, I tied them together with some cord that I had laying around. This gives you a very stable stand with a near perfect 53 inch hang height. You can gain another couple of inches by reducing the spread down to 2-½ ft but any less the stand becomes unstable.
    2016-06-30 10.44.46.jpg

Initially I used perforated steel strap and S-hooks for the suspension. You can quickly make adjustments to the suspension length but tend to squeak and make noise.
    2016-06-30 10.38.12.jpg

Once you’ve worked out the proper suspension length it’s simpler, and quieter, to remove the straps and just loop the suspension over the top of a leg.
    2016-06-30 10.42.43.jpg

I prefer my hammock foot end to be higher than the head end. Here I’m using a couple of 8 inch Amsteel continuous loops larks headed together at the head end with nothing extra at the foot.
    2016-06-30 10.45.46.jpg

As far as costs go, my initial Lowe’s purchase of fence rail, conduit and misc. hardware was about $30. I also had to buy a pipe cutting tool for about $20. The follow up ¼” hardware purchase was about $5.

I’m pretty happy with this stand, been using it constantly for the past 6 weeks. My hammock is just under 10 ft long and fits fine. I’m 6’4” tall and would like to try a longer hammock but longer would mean taller stands essentially doubling the cost. Sticking with this one for awhile.
    Last edited by cendroid; 07-06-2016 at 00:54.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Thunder fly
    Wow 4 yrs later Im the first to comment. How did it work out for you and the stomach sleeping?
    The stand looks great, did you make any modifications?

• + New Posts