Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoke and Mirrors?

Hi guys. I'm trying to put together the best thru hike hammock setup and I base my decisions on doing a NOBO AT hike with a mid-March start. Yes, I've already done this as a ground and shelter dweller. (Class of '09). Now I want to in a hammock.

From what I've seen a Warbonnet XLC with a 20° TQ/UQ and a Hammock Gear Cuban fiber tarp with doors fits the bill. Am I wrong? Is there a better, less weight option I'm forgetting about?

I've tried to do my due dilligence. I've scourd the forum posts, watched YouTube videos (Thanks Shug), and even read the Ultimate Hang. But good golly it all still comes down to hearing from folks like you who have experience and bantering back and forth....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the Hammock forums. Sounds like an excellent set up with the intent on swapping out the quilts as you move into warmer weather. Which XLC are you considering and how tall are you?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I don't consider the WB to be at the top of my list for a thru hike. Fine piece of kit, but just a little too heavy for day in day out hiking.

Not being an integrated net fan, I'd still be looking at lower weights, for the same basic configuration. 11"L no narrower than 65"

Papa Smurf over at Dream Hammocks has a great calculator on his site. You can play around all day with different materials and models, but the Smurf's respond to questions fast, better to just ask. Probably one of the reasons their waiting list can reach out there a bit. Several of the other vendors can do this as well. Dutch has done the AT too, so a quick chat over there might be of hep. Heck a legitimate reason to contact Dutch is always worth your while

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey hey, Spokes! Welcome to the forums! I'm a new member myself, but I've gotten so much great advice on here, I was able to find what looks like my perfect match in the Circle Beard from beardedhanger.com. For you however, I doubt you would need something quite as large. The lightest hammock they have over there is called the 5 'o clock Shadow. It's made from 1.6oz HyperD fabric and in the 10ft single layer it only weighs 9.55oz. Drop in whoopie slings and the Ultralight Beard Net, and you've got an integrated solution that weighs considerably less than any of Warbonnet's XLC lines. I only wish I could go with it, but at ~340lbs, I'd rip right through it.

Oops! I stand corrected! The Mutton Chop is the lightest! 1.0oz Robic XL fabric, 65 inches wide vs. 55 inches on the 5 'o clock shadow, and still weighs in at 6.6oz for a 10ft single layer. Yeah... Ya can tell I don't look at the lighter stuff much. Anyway, the 5 'o clock shadow will take a max of 285lbs, and the Mutton Chop will take 275. Hope this helps ya choose a good setup for the AT.
    Last edited by LowTekk; 07-05-2016 at 15:52.
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Thanks guys. I'm 5'10". I did look at the DH Sparrow. Tried to navigate the calculator too. Prolly best to call Pala Smurf direct and get some options.

From what I see TQ/UQ degree ratings are only a rule of thumb. But do you agree 20° Is a good starting point? I don't plan on winter camping or anything below say 10°

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Welcome to the forum. You will get different opinions here that you will have to compare and decide what is best for you. My first hammock was a WBBB. It was a great hammock but I prefer a hammock without a net. I am going to look at the Dutch Half Wit hammock with a partial net at some point.

A 20* quilt set is a good place to start with. With my 20* UQ I prefer a full length. I also have a 40* setup but that UQ is a 3/4 length quilt from HG. I prefer the 3/4 length when it is warmer plus it weighs less.

If you have a chance to go to a local group hang or find someone who has various types of equipment to test out it will save you some time and money in buying and trying different setups.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm 5'10". I did look at the DH Sparrow. Tried to navigate the calculator too. Prolly best to call Pala Smurf direct and get some options.

From what I see TQ/UQ degree ratings are only a rule of thumb. But do you agree 20° Is a good starting point? I don't plan on winter camping or anything below say 10°
    For a thru-hike I'd say 20* quilts will work the first few months (March, April, May, and maybe June). You may find 20* quilts a bit hot in July and August. I used 20* quilts for a couple of years, and was able to use them from 70* F down to about 13* F. However, I've since bought 40* quilts so I can more easily match the quilts to the temps expected.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

If your only 5' 10" the Warbonnet Blackbird is plenty large enough and can be purchased in a single layer which only weighs 1lb 2 oz with whoopies. That includes the bug net. I started with a 20° set and that was perfect for me as well. I do not do any deep winter camping as we do not have deep winters.
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 07-05-2016 at 21:13.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Welcome! I agree with the others that the tarp and 20° quilts are great choices to begin with and then swap over to lighter quilts when needed. I don't have experience with the Warbonnet products but second the opinions that you can go much lighter without a sacrifice in durability. I just made a 11' RobicXL 1.0 hammock with an integrated bug net, ridgeline, ridgeline organizer, and continuous loops for a friend that weighed in at 11oz. Kevlar straps with whoopies added another 3oz so you can save right around a pound over the XLC depending on how it is configured.

Since you are local shoot me a PM if you are interested in seeing some other lightweight options in person. My hammock is a 11' Hexon 1.0 with net at 10oz and I also have a set of 40° quilts at 12 & 14 oz and a 20° UQ at 22oz. There is also a hang at John Rock coming up in a couple of weeks where you should be able to check out several options if you could attend.

Images
    A single layer Hexon 1.0 Dutch halfwit, is a light hammock. A single layer netless, with a Fronkey is pretty light too. Pair it with 2 x 12 foot 1" Kevlar 2.2 suspension Beckett hitched directly to the CLs, lighter than strap/whoopie combo.
    Hammock Gear and Loco Libre make the lightest 20F quilts, recommend the Phoenix/Burrow combo.

--
    Gadget.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast