Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarp comparison

Tarp comparison

I am quite new to hammock camping. Slowly acquiring gear so the boss lady doesn't blow a top. My next purchase will be a tarp. I can't justify spending $100 or more on one, and I have grown to like the DD tarps (plenty of tie outs, decent price, etc.). Right now I am stuck between the DD 3x3 and the Tarp M. I think both will work well, I'm just looking for thoughts from those that have them.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    DD makes the super-durable and very versatile 3x3 tarp, which, while a bit on the heavy side, at approximately 10'x10' gives you some pretty ample shade, weather protection, and space underneath during fairer weather when set up wide and high above your hammock in a diamond pitch. You can also pitch it in a low A-frame (a tad short for an 11-foot hammock, but that's why you pitch it low...) with the ridge line parallel to two sides (and perpendicular to the others) with about enough fabric to reach to the ground if your hammock (assuming about a 9' SRL) is pitched low enough, providing an excellent storm mode, what can be augmented by moving the corner stakes in one tie-out and folding the corners in a bit to cut the wind. DD tarps are heavy-duty and very popular with the bushcraft crowd, so if you want "one tarp to outlast them all", usable for the widest range of applications (if not optimal for any one use) that's the reputation their 3x3 enjoys.

Versus the Tarp M, the 3x3 is a couple of ounces heavier but also a bit more versatile, owing to its square shape; you can employ it over your hammock or on the ground in many, many configurations, including my personal favorite, the high-wind tarragon. Conversely, the M is more hammock specific and better optimized for that purpose; it's longer to give you about 10 extra inches on each end of your hang compared to a 3x3 in A-frame, but you're pretty much limited using it as an A-frame, whether it's over your hammock or on the ground, since it's probably too long and to narrow to pitch effectively as an asymmetric hammock tarp.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-05-2016 at 13:10.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd personally pass on the 3 x 3 m DD tarp - it's only 9.84 feet long (or wide) so you would have to use it in a diamond configuration. I have a 10" x 10' tarp that is similar (GT Funky Forest), but it doesn't get much love because diamond configs allow wind-blown precipitation in, and also the tarp becomes a giant wind sail when wind gets under it.

The Tarp M is 11.48 feet long x 7.87 feet wide. While that's not full coverage either (10 ft. wide is more common), at least you'll have sufficient end coverage. It's not a light tarp (26 ounces) but probably a good starter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Jut keep in mind that while we all focus on the hammock, the Tarp is what is actually your Shelter. It is the most important pice of the hammock camping system. I would work to spend more on the quality of the tarp than any other bit of gear.....lost of folks don't think twice about spending piles of cash on "Bling' and other bits of stuff they do not need while "getting by" with a mediocre tarp set up. My $0.02
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    You can also pitch it in a low A-frame (a tad short for an 11-foot hammock, but that's why you pitch it low...) with the ridge line parallel to two sides (and perpendicular to the others) with about enough fabric to reach to the ground if your hammock (assuming about a 9' SRL) is pitched low enough, providing an excellent storm mode, what can be augmented by moving the corner stakes in one tie-out and folding the corners in a bit to cut the wind.
    The 3 x 3 DD tarp is probably not ideal (nowhere near ideal) for pitching in A-Frame. Assuming a 9' ridgeline, you're left with 8 inches of coverage on the ends, and that's nowhere near enough, unless you're willing to use shorter hammocks. For example, an ENO Singlenest with a structural ridgeline would be 92.96" long, or about 7.74 feet. However, I'm 5'11" and prefer 11 ft. hammocks like a Dutch PolyD 1.4 which just won't work with that tarp in A-Frame.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The 3 x 3 DD tarp is probably not ideal (nowhere near ideal) for pitching in A-Frame. Assuming a 9' ridgeline, you're left with 8 inches of coverage on the ends, and that's nowhere near enough, unless you're willing to use shorter hammocks. For example, an ENO Singlenest with a structural ridgeline would be 92.96" long, or about 7.74 feet. However, I'm 5'11" and prefer 11 ft. hammocks like a Dutch PolyD 1.4 which just won't work with that tarp in A-Frame.
    Agreed. As I said, a tad short, even though it is technically workable. I'm 3 inches taller than you, also prefer 11-foot hammocks, use a 110" ridge line (give or take), and like to have at least a foot of overhang on each end of my hammock regardless of tarp shape or configuration.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you, or the boss lady, have sewing skills, then you can make a 12 ft hex (or rectangle) tarp for $60-$70 depending the weight and type of fabric you use from the kits offered by Kyle at ripstopbytheroll.com or Dutch at makeyourgear.com. I have recently finished a 12x10 out of Dutch's xenon sil 5300 and had it in the field this weekend. It packs small enough to carry in my side mesh pocket and gave me more than enough coverage. It will take some planning, research, and work, but you can get a great tarp at a great price if you are willing/able to DIY.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I just sewed up one of Dutch's kits. Made a nice tarp for $70
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Consider the tad pole tarp from wilderness logics. 95$. The camo one is 120$ Ijust got a tarp from there and it is mighty fine gear.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Snugpack all weather shelter is actually pretty nice for the $60.00 or so cost, diamond set up works ok. I just placed an order for a Warbonnet Mamajamba yesterday for summer use. Don’t think the Mamajamba cost is bad at all considering the quality and coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast