Hennessy asym deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG WL
    Suspension
    Dutch, Duh!

Dutch clips question

Is there an advantage to using a dutch clip over just running the tail end through the loop?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Yes. With a Dutch Clip, one doesn't need to make the end of the tree strap free to attach or remove it from the tree/anchor point; one simply hooks/unhooks the clip, making set-up, takedown, and adjustment a little quicker and easier for certain suspension configurations. Certainly something one can live without, but I really appreciate mine.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Is there an advantage to using a dutch clip over just running the tail end through the loop?
    Speed.
    Ability to quickly raise or lower a strap, even if a branch is in the way
    Annnnnnnnnd, its just cool bling!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Dutch said if I used them he wouldn't beat me up.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I resisted forking over the dough for them for years, rationalizing that if I was too lazy to thread the tail through the loop that would be pathetic... Well, I'm pathetic! One set of my webs with spiders have the Dutch Clips on them, the other sets do not. I always grab the set with the Dutch Clips no matter which hammock I'm taking, because they are so much quicker and convenient. Also, being quite short of stature, the clips are a real advantage to me because, often, I find myself needing to hang my straps higher than I can easily reach...can't do that if I have to be able to reach the loop well enough to thread the free end through, but CAN if I have the straps with the Dutch clip because I can "throw" the strap up around behind the tree above my normal reach and still easily clip the end to the strap (and likewise unclip it when it's time to tear down). SOOO....using the Dutch clips saves me time AND extends the working height available to me on the tree! I LOVE my one and only pair of sewn-in Dutch clips! I wish I had two more pairs!!!

My camping buddy has a cinch buckle suspension on her Blackbird XLC and she ADORES her sewn in Dutch clips because she never has to thread or unthread her straps from her hammock when hanging it or taking it back down. She just leaves the straps always threaded through the cinch buckles since she can easily hook and unhook her hammock at the tree using her Dutch clips. In her case the Dutch clips are WAY more convenient than they are even for me!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-03-2016 at 20:34.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Sewn-in FTW!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter dream
    Insulation
    850 down+body fat
    Suspension
    Woopeeeee
    Images
    Only speed
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    * Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hammock
    Hennessy asym deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG WL
    Suspension
    Dutch, Duh!
    Immediately after asking the question I went ahead and picked up a pair of clips, buckles and some of the dyneema/poly webbing. My lazy time just got lazier. Thank you Dutch.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    ...Also, being quite short of stature, the clips are a real advantage to me because, often, I find myself needing to hang my straps higher than I can easily reach...can't do that if I have to be able to reach the loop well enough to thread the free end through, but CAN if I have the straps with the Dutch clip because I can "throw" the strap up around behind the tree above my normal reach and still easily clip the end to the strap (and likewise unclip it when it's time to tear down). SOOO....using the Dutch clips saves me time AND extends the working height available to me on the tree! I LOVE my one and only pair of sewn-in Dutch clips! I wish I had two more pairs!!!...
    Though sadly discontinued, you should ask Dutch if he has any adutchables left. Basically, a Dutch Clip with built in tri-glide. In addition to what you've already discovered, adutchables have the added bonus of allowing you to take out excess slack out of a strap. i.e. adjust to the size of the tree vs making multiple wraps around it. This is a HUGE plus for those of us short-of-leg. But wait, there's more... another advantage of that adjustability is that you can shorten/lengthen the business end of the strap. This is great if you've lark's headed to the sewn on loop or if already made up an MSH, Beckett, etc and need to make a minor adjustment but don't want to undo your hitch...do this with your adutchable! I find this of value when getting the head end of two hammocks to jive for spreader bar use (if I'm not using ti-cinch buckles or spiders).

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Though sadly discontinued, you should ask Dutch if he has any adutchables left. Basically, a Dutch Clip with built in tri-glide. In addition to what you've already discovered, adutchables have the added bonus of allowing you to take out excess slack out of a strap. i.e. adjust to the size of the tree vs making multiple wraps around it. This is a HUGE plus for those of us short-of-leg. But wait, there's more... another advantage of that adjustability is that you can shorten/lengthen the business end of the strap. This is great if you've lark's headed to the sewn on loop or if already made up an MSH, Beckett, etc and need to make a minor adjustment but don't want to undo your hitch...do this with your adutchable! I find this of value when getting the head end of two hammocks to jive for spreader bar use (if I'm not using ti-cinch buckles or spiders).
    I'm a big fan of Adutchables. Being able to keep the tree strap/hugger snug to the tree is really nice with a suspension that uses a single lead or getting the end of a WS close to the tree and still having all the convenience of a Dutch Clip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast