Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    ...Sure can't figure why you feel Spiders are frustrating. They've been super simple and easy for me to adjust so long as I first lift the load off them...don't have to disconnect my continuous loops from them to adjust them, just support the hammock end so it is momentarily not pulling on the continuous loops, then the spider slides freely up and down the web. I love them!
    It's just a personal preference thing. Mostly, I just find cinch buckles far easier to fine tune for leveling the spreader bar in relation to both hammocks and the tarp. This becomes even more challenging when trying to keep the tarp as low as practical for inclement weather. At the foot end, I'm perfectly happy using kevlar and jbends. I find spiders easy enough to adjust until the hammock has been weighted. Then, even holding the hammock up doesn't allow the spider to slide so well because the cl compresses the webbing in from the sides causing it to bunch up. Yeah, I know how to get it unbunched, but it's more fiddling X2. Potentially X4 because our two young graddaughters wish to go out with us but only with both of them under one tarp, so yet another spreader bar.

For a single hammock there is no need to be so fussy, so I have no problem with the spider here. However, for a single hammock I'd rather just use kevlar/jbend, fine tuning at the adutchables if I felt like it.

I have another thread around here about my first experiences with the spiders. First I had Dutch's earlier (thinner) premium webbing which popped out the top, then I got the newer stuff which is a bit better (compresses a bit less). More recently I received some of the dyneema/poly webbing but haven't tried it with the spiders yet.

I don't disconnect the cl in order to adjust, I just like the ability to easily swap out cl's/whoopies/dogbones etc compared to the ti cinch buckles. For this reason I'm going to order some cinch bugs this week. I figure that eventually I'll settle on one setup and leave it at that.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    newb here with no disrespect intended but what is better about these than using a simple biner?

I'm using Metolius FS Mini II biners (23gr, smaller than Camp Nano 22's) now, because it's what I have but I'd love to support Dutch if it's worth the switch...

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    newb here with no disrespect intended but what is better about these than using a simple biner?

I'm using Metolius FS Mini II biners (23gr, smaller than Camp Nano 22's) now, because it's what I have but I'd love to support Dutch if it's worth the switch...
    Dutch clips are lighter and smaller and have no moving parts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

I tried the clips and went back to biners. They are easier on your straps. Plenty are in love with Ti though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Dutch clips are lighter and smaller and have no moving parts

no moving parts, not an issue as I can take the wire gate off the carabiner and it still works exactly the same.

smaller, I understand.

lighter, only if the weight matters in the extreme. per the website, DC are 16.25gr/pr vs 44gr for the biners so about 27.75gr or 1oz/pr difference.

but for that 1oz, you gain 2 climbing-rated biners with about 4950lbf (ea) of strength. is that worth anything? that's up to the individual to decide but it's not nothing.

one thing not mentioned is the cool factor. Dutch bling is the coolest stuff around (for a hammocker)...

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    no moving parts, not an issue as I can take the wire gate off the carabiner and it still works exactly the same.

smaller, I understand.

lighter, only if the weight matters in the extreme. per the website, DC are 16.25gr/pr vs 44gr for the biners so about 27.75gr or 1oz/pr difference.

but for that 1oz, you gain 2 climbing-rated biners with about 4950lbf (ea) of strength. is that worth anything? that's up to the individual to decide but it's not nothing.

one thing not mentioned is the cool factor. Dutch bling is the coolest stuff around (for a hammocker)...
    1 oz is a lot and IMO there is no reason to have 5000 lb of strength when your straps or amsteel loops are only rated to 1250-1500 lbs. You can take the wire gate off of your carabiner, sure. I don't even use Dutch clips though, I use a single strand grapplers hitch because it weighsonly a couple grams and allows me to come off of the center of the tree without compromising anything, unlike a Dutch clip. I also like that the strap doesn't slip further down the tree when unweighted like is possible with a Dutch clip. But, I still own them and will definitely use them sometimes. HYOH YMMV yolo , suh dude etc.

-Carter

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    1 oz is a lot and IMO there is no reason to have 5000 lb of strength when your straps or amsteel loops are only rated to 1250-1500 lbs. You can take the wire gate off of your carabiner, sure. I don't even use Dutch clips though, I use a single strand grapplers hitch because it weighsonly a couple grams and allows me to come off of the center of the tree without compromising anything, unlike a Dutch clip. I also like that the strap doesn't slip further down the tree when unweighted like is possible with a Dutch clip. But, I still own them and will definitely use them sometimes. HYOH YMMV yolo , suh dude etc.

true. true... no one (that I know of) has had a DC fail, so no need to triple or quadruple the load rating of the straps. and I know it's just the Boy Scout in me that having a climbing rated biner (or two) in my gear gives me the warm/fuzzies but what price comfort? 1oz is well within my threshold of pain...

I didn't say I wanted to take the wire gate off, only that you could and it wouldn't diminish its function with tree straps. but that would be dumb, right?

grapplers hitch sounds cool but isn't that why we have insanely strong and lightweight metal objects in the first place? sheesh...

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    true. true... no one (that I know of) has had a DC fail, so no need to triple or quadruple the load rating of the straps. and I know it's just the Boy Scout in me that having a climbing rated biner (or two) in my gear gives me the warm/fuzzies but what price comfort? 1oz is well within my threshold of pain...

I didn't say I wanted to take the wire gate off, only that you could and it wouldn't diminish its function with tree straps. but that would be dumb, right?

grapplers hitch sounds cool but isn't that why we have insanely strong and lightweight metal objects in the first place? sheesh...
    The grapplers hitch uses amsteel blue and is just as fast to use as the clip, except negative 10 degree weather. I love this hanging stuff, so many options! My favorite part about Dutch clips is that they were popular enough to allow Dutch to create such a wonderful business with such fun ideas.

-Carter

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234