Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

The Worst Part of Hammock Camping In... (Humorous but True)

As a recently registered member here, I've found it interesting to hear from hammock hangers spread far and wide. It seems like every locale for hammock camping has its own set of challenges and rewards.

Since truth is stranger -- and often funnier -- than fiction, I'm interested to hear from where other members hail and what sorts of challenges are typical where they like to hang. What's the worst and weirdest thing that has happened to you while hanging in your hammock that is par for the course in your neck of the woods?

(Suggested format: The worst part of hammock camping in [your locality] is...)

The worst part of hammock camping in the Pacific Northwest is waking to relieve oneself in the middle of the night and squashing the banana slug nesting in your boot...

I forgot to look inside and shake my shoe out a couple of weeks ago and suffered this exact catastrophe; if you've never encountered this wonder of the PNW first-hand, these suckers are big. And (unfortunately) juicy...

image.jpg

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    The worst part of hammock camping near Cleveland is the lack of free primitive camping. I need to drive at least 2 hours to get to a legal campsite to go backpacking.

And they ask me why all of my gear is camo.

In related news, this one time I decided to take my WBBB on a trip with me. It was an old 1.0 double layer job, and the bottom layer had ripped (a few feet!). I decided I would duck tape it and head out in the woods. The duck tape didn't last, but the 1.0 did. At least for a night. The second night, it deposited me on the ground. Well, not quite the ground: I was hung above a bunch of mossy boulders and fell in the midst of them. Thankfully, this was not in the middle of the night; I was taking a load off after humping it all day. Long story short, I spent the night on the ground using my sit pad and a companion's sit pad, and it sucked.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.skinner View Post
    ...And they ask me why all of my gear is camo.
    Right there with you, friend! Thanks for your post.

I'm in Maryland, and the worst part for me is how much I have (indirectly via the for sale forum) funded the UQ industry. Since it will go from 0-100 degrees F here, you've got to be prepared for your conditions! As a bonus, this does mean I have to "test" my setups frequently!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The worst thing that happened to me was actually in my back yard. I forgot to turn the sprinkler system off a few weeks back and the equipment got quite wet before I could turn it off.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The Worst Part of Hammock Camping In Georgia is...

Nothing comes to mind!

My wife and I spent our first night outdoors together in April. Prior to that, she had never camped before, and I had "camped" as a Marine infantryman many (MANY) moons ago. After many years together we discovered and embraced a mutual passion for getting outdoors, and began hiking and camping. No looking back and no regrets, we love sharing each other's passion.

I do wish we could comfortably share a hammock, especially when it gets colder! Until then we will continue hanging next to one another and loving being out there!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    I'm in Maryland, and the worst part for me is how much I have (indirectly via the for sale forum) funded the UQ industry. Since it will go from 0-100 degrees F here, you've got to be prepared for your conditions! As a bonus, this does mean I have to "test" my setups frequently!
    So true. I grew up in pretty much your exact part of the Mid-Atlantic region, and I got very used to hot, humid summers and appreciably cold (and often snowy) winters.

One of the things that makes living and camping here in my part of the PNW (western Washington on Puget Sound) a little more forgiving is that we don't have those seasonal extremes of temperature. We rarely range outside a 30-80F envelope; unfortunately that can sometimes be on the same day virtually any time of the year! I've cooked out for Independence Day before wearing fleece and Gore-Tex (and may have to do so tomorrow...), and I've worn a tank top and shorts in late February, so we too have to cover all our bases, even without such extremes. As people like to say here, "If you don't like the weather in Seattle, wait 5 minutes..."

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Florida is hot. I don't like to gunk up my hear w/so much sweat and trail grit.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The worst part of hammock camping in Alabama is....

Well - I am still figuring that out. Last fall was my beginnings of really doing much primitive camping.

Problem I am having right now is I cannot find folks to go camp in the summer heat as they are all tent campers and apparently have opted out of summer camping at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is complicated and perplexes many that give it a go.
    For something so simple looking it is quite complex.
    For me it was easy. For some it is a struggle.
    I am bad at math and an under-acheiver...maybe that helps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast