Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ > Second 3rd Annual Blueberry Hang 7/23-24/16-Lower Forge

The highbush blueberries really ripen near the end of July, so I grabbed site 4 at Lower Forge for a couple more nights - Friday, July 23 and Saturday July 24. I'll be hiking in from Atsion since there's a great blueberry field coming down the Mullica River trail.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I can't make this one, but post it up on the FB group and page. Some people will see that before they come to HF. Links below. Have fun.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Just curious, how long is the hike in? Life keeps getting in the way so we haven't hiked for weeks, so could be a bit rusty. Maybe we'll be able to do a 2 day on the AT this weekend though. Weather is not sounding so good at this point.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Just curious, how long is the hike in? Life keeps getting in the way so we haven't hiked for weeks, so could be a bit rusty. Maybe we'll be able to do a 2 day on the AT this weekend though. Weather is not sounding so good at this point.
    The hike in is not bad from Atsion, maybe 5.5 miles.

http://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-ma...-trail-map.pdf

If you want a little more burn you can take the Batona Trail to Lower Forge (7.2 mles), but I usually avoid that section due to a preponderance of ticks (lot of ticks), and the river access is pretty far apart.

The good thing about Atsion to Lower Forge is that there are a couple of places you can take a dip in the Mullica or Batsto Rivers. When it's 90* to 96* F outside, that can make a huge difference - you can drop your core body temp significantly just by sticking your head in the water. I usually find that a dip in the river at Quaker Bridge can cool me down enough to hike 1.2 miles to Lower Forge without breaking a sweat, no matter how hot it is.

You can also go Batsto Village to Mullica River to Lower Forge (7.2 miles). Pretty tick free, but the blueberries just aren't as good as Atsion to Lower Forge. You can also cool off in the river at Mullica, then again at Quaker Bridge, so that's nice.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    We've made it out the past two weekends on/near the AT, so 5.5 miles should be cream cheese. Checking with our daughter now to see if she and kids can stay to watch the critters while we're gone.

Though I've refined our setup a bit, it still takes longer than desirable. I guess it's just that two hammocks under a tarp take more fiddling and time than seems it should.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Though I've refined our setup a bit, it still takes longer than desirable. I guess it's just that two hammocks under a tarp take more fiddling and time than seems it should.
    I had two under one tarp last time. That was site 5. Three trees nice and close formed a triangle. Not sure if site 4 works that way but can always book site 5 to be sure.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    We use a spreader bar, only two trees necessary. As long as no inclement weather is expected the tarp can be hung high so a bit less fussy for hammocks. However, so far I've found the spreader bar requires a bit more attention in order to keep both hammocks hanging level at the head end. For example, last night one of the straps slipped a couple inches down the tree and this caused one end of the bar to rise up a few inches contacting the tarp and making getting in/out of hammock a bit more of a challenge. Noticed it when I got up for a 2 or 3am "stroll". Didn't want to wake up the misses so I left it. I use pipe foam on bar ends so no damage.

Maybe if you more experienced folks are there before us you can eyeball what I'm doing and point out where I could shortcut/streamline. If we can make it, we plan to be there well ahead of night fall this time, preferably by noon or shortly after.

Another area I seem to waste a lot of time is fiddling with the (fronkey) bug net/UQ setup. What a PIA! It just occurred to me of putting a separating zipper down the length of the rl to speed things up a whole lot. This way, after hammock/UG setup is complete, just pull the fronkey up from underneath and zipper together. Gotta be better than trying to fish the UQ into the bugnet afterward. I dunno, have to think that one through a bit further.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Another area I seem to waste a lot of time is fiddling with the (fronkey) bug net/UQ setup. What a PIA! It just occurred to me of putting a separating zipper down the length of the rl to speed things up a whole lot. This way, after hammock/UG setup is complete, just pull the fronkey up from underneath and zipper together. Gotta be better than trying to fish the UQ into the bugnet afterward. I dunno, have to think that one through a bit further.
    1. Hang hammock
    2. Hang UQ
    3. Put Fronkey on.

It's really not a pain in the butt, unless you have some kinda funky suspension. I'm using Dutch Whoopie Hooks, so I just disconnect hammock/UQ, pull Fronkey over hammock/UQ, reconnect suspension, then do the other end.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Another way is to fish hammock through then after net is up, put UQ in hammock through entrance. Then attach each each from inside.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    The way I've been doing it is to leave the net on the hammock and stuff it all into the double ended sack. Setting up, I just pull it all out then attach the UQ through the bottom. This method sucks.

Just a short time ago tonight I had already tried what Silv said above. This seems like the best solution without going the zipper routine. I still don't really care for it, but maybe with more practice I'll develop a routine and improve.

Times when it will not work so well, for example, is when using straps > jbend > CL. Most of the time I use CL's with dwh's spliced on, but sometimes for shorter length or just the sake of simplicity I omit them on the foot end. Always used on the head end of course.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast