Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Post Yellowstone NP: Lewis Lake - Lewis River - Shoshone Lake

My nephew and I canoed across Lewis Lake, up the Lewis River, and around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone National Park. This has been along anticipated adventure and so glad we were able to do it this year.
    Lewis Lake is one of only two lakes in Yellowstone Park that allows motorized boating. Only hand-powered craft are allowed on Lewis Riverand Shoshone Lake. Shoshone Lake is the second largest lake in the park and the largest lake in the US with no road access.
    We covered the route over a three-day period staying at a couple of different back country sites. The first day we covered about 13.5miles.
    Route.jpg

127_2435.JPG

There is one section of the Lewis River, approximately 1.5 miles long, that cannot be paddled and the canoe must be towed.
    127_2441.JPG

We did not see a great deal of wildlife while on the boat, but we did see a lot of large flocks of ducks on the lake like this one. We also saw a group of 5 otters, but did not get a pictures. Deer and small animals made up the rest of the sightings. We also saw a lot of fish in the river portion.
    127_2446.JPG

The first campsite had a huge black sand/pebble beach. It was just beautiful. There were some storm clouds building as we approached the narrows and we decided to push across before the storm arrived on the lake. Shortly after reaching camp, the storm came up. We had read many warnings about how quickly the wind and waves can pick up on Shoshone Lake, but even with those warnings, how quickly the wind went from near nothing to howling and how fast the whitecaps hit was surprising. Very glad we were safely on shore at that point.

Pictures of the storm did not turn out at all. The next morning, the water was mirrored and we had beautiful weather.

127_2454.JPG

I set up back from the lake that night to avoid some of the wind. Also, the trees on the edge were really swaying and I wanted to avoid them. We had already seen one tree get blown into the Gallatin River on the way to the park the previous day and wanted to avoid that as well.
    127_2455.JPG

We went about 3 miles to our second camp where we were joined by my brother and his wife who had hiked in. We made their hike much easier by hauling all of the camping gear on the canoe. The second night was closer to the inlet of DeLacy Creek. The beach was much smaller. I did not take a picture of my setup for that night, but did get a picture out of the hammock the next morning.
    127_2459.JPG

On the way out, we were again hit by an early afternoon storm. This time while on the river. Heavy rain and hail pelted us on the way out. Luckily, the weather cleared before our crossing of Lewis Lake. Overall, we covered about 28 miles in the canoe and had two beautiful campsites. I’ll definitely be heading back to do this one again.
    127_2466.JPG
    Last edited by Alamosa; 07-02-2016 at 20:33.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice trip. That rain looked like it could have hurt it was coming down so hard. Beautiful beach and thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Looks like fun. I don't think I have ever seen a canoe packed with so much equipment.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It is a bit of an optical illusion. We carried a couple of full sized foam pads and camp chairs for the hikers that made the equipment pile look huge by adding a lot of bulk, but almost no weight. We also did a lot better job loading/packing the second and third days so that the load was much lower in the canoe.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like a phenomenal trip. Have visited the park several times, but have never spent any time in the back country. This approach really looks like my style.
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Great trip report. I'm heading to Yellowstone next week to paddle and camp on Yellowstone Lake.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by DelayedNeutron View Post
    Looks like a phenomenal trip. Have visited the park several times, but have never spent any time in the back country. This approach really looks like my style.
    I have done many backcountry backpack trips, but this was my first paddling trip in Yellowstone. It was a lot of fun (as were the backpacking trips).

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Great trip report. I'm heading to Yellowstone next week to paddle and camp on Yellowstone Lake.
    Yellowstone Lake will be an awesome adventure. I am planning on taking my motor boat back to that one. There are a number of boat only campsites that I would like to spend some time at.

• + New Posts