Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

rigging in freezing temps....I like my fingers

One other thing i wanted to ask everyone .. is setting up the tarp ropes in freezing temps..... any suggestions for speed to keep your fingers warm? Its too hard to tie with gloves on for me.

What about taking gear down in the am if the ropes are frozen with ice. Any good ideas on how to take down a rig especially tarp knots in cold freezing rain? Any ideas how to do it and not take home all the water from the woods. I took a bag of ice from the ropes and tarp home with me to melt in my pack, trunk and garage. I hate the idea of not taking care of my gear better than that. Also ... with that cold I didn't spend the time preparing the lines and got home with wet frozen and tangled tarp lines and muddy stakes.

thanks!

cooldays

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Try using Nite Ize figure 9's. There is no need for knots then.

What kind of knots are you using? On the guylines to stakes, I use a simple clove hitch, others use a Marlinspike. Both are simple to tie and when you are ready to pull up stakes, just grab the line, give it a pull and slide the stake out of the knot.

Figure 9s on the support lines as Oldman suggested.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Are you saying that you're tieing your knots every single time you set up your tarp?? I put a taut-line hitch at the stake end of the guylines and only adjust the length if I need to. On mine, for the rope that goes around the tree, I put the small hitch-thingys (can't think of their name) on my line so no knots to tie there either. I like them and they're fast and easy to use. Note: there's lighter things out there but I like these things. I can wear gloves to put the stakes in the ground and slip the guyline over it or pull up the stakes. The hitch-thingys are so easy a cave man can do it.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    The hitch-thingys are so easy a cave man can do it.
    And what's wrong with cave men?!?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hi cooldays,

My hands get really cold easily and quickly become useless blocks of wood

Working with knots in my thin tarp lines is one thing I want to avoid during the colder weather.

On my ridgeline ties, I now have a lineloc/mini 'biner system. VERY quick set up and take down. Here's a thread where this is discussed and it shows photos...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=lineloc

Along the bottom edges , I have tautline hitches already tied in my lines, so it's pretty quick and easy to guy out the tarp and adjust, without having to tie anything.

If I have accumulated ice or mud on lines or stakes, I usually just whack them up against a tree, or wipe if possible. I usually store my tarp and stakes on the outside of my pack too, where the moisture on them won't get into other items inside my pack. If possible, during a break, I spread things out to dry a bit in the sun.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Another vote for the Figure 9 as a way to make setup quicker and avoid tying knots.

I use a bunch of the 9's - on my tarp ridgeline, i have the carabiner 9's attached to the ridge tieouts. My two tarp ridgeline cords have permanent loops tied in one end, so I wrap the line around the tree and pass it back through the loop, essentially girth hitching it to the tree. Then, I attach that line to the figure 9, which is always attached to the tarp, and pull tight.

For the stake lines, I use MSR Groundhog stakes - these stakes have a short loop of cord attached to them, and I keep the figure 9's attached to these loops. The tarp guylines stay attached to the tarp tieout points. So, once the ridgeline is hung, I just go around, stick the stake into the ground, grab the already attached cord from the tarp, and wrap it around the figure 9. A few seconds and I'm on to the next line.

Images
    I use liner gloves and simple slip knots. One time around the tree or stake, than back to the D ring. 2 quick slip knots and I am good to go. Easy and quick to tie even with gloves on.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Here's another vote for figure nines on the ridge line and clove hitch to the stakes.

I did read a suggestion someone had about taut-line hitches on the tarp end of the line so that you could readjust tension in a storm by just reaching out. I may give that idea a whirl.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yet another vote for figure 9s. My ridgeline ropes have a carabiner on one end, so no tying to the tree; simply loop around & click. Then hook into the figure 9 permanently attached to the tarp. 4 of my stakes have the 9s already tied on, I use them for my 4 corners, & the rest of my pre-attached tie out cords have 2 loops at (what I find are) good distances, & I just loop to the stakes as need be. Set up & take down easily done with cold hands in gloves, the figure 9s don't care & it way beats tying knots.
    Tarp set up on a calm day is about 2 minutes. Take down, including stuffing into sacks, about 5 minutes, mostly cause I am not a morning person so am moving real slow. I am thinking of getting a larger stuff sack for cold weather to speed stuffing, especially with cold hands in gloves.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast