Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pallet Rack Hammock Stand

So, after using hammocks while camping for the past couple of years (tablecloth hammocks with turtle-dog stands thanks to all of the great information here on hammockforums.net) my two sons told me that they would like to sleep in hammocks in their bedroom. After thinking through several different options, here is what I came up.

Hammock 1.jpgHammock 5.jpgHammock 6.jpgHammock 8.jpg

The pallet racks are 42 inches wide and the beams are 9 feet long. The shelves are installed about 5 feet off the floor and hold their twin-size mattresses. Another set of beams is installed at the top of the pallet rack, right next to the ceiling. The tablecloth hammocks (90" x 132") fit perfectly on the diagonal under the shelf. I made some webbing straps with side-release buckles to keep them (or their friends) from rolling out of the top bunk while sleeping, yet make it easy to make the bed (probably an optimistic view on my part). We painted the pallet racks black and gray to go along with the Star Wars theme of the room, which was really brought to life with some Fathead wall decals.

A piece of plywood and some spacers made from 2x2 lumber were installed on the shelf to keep the racks in a rectangle and prevent the hammock from pulling the racks into a diamond shape. This could also be accomplished with some cable and tighteners. I made the headboards up by their mattress by linking some storage cubes from Ikea together with some facing out into the room and others facing the mattress to use as storage space. I used some large electrical conduit to attach the two racks together and provide a ladder to get up to the twin mattress. There is plenty of room between the ladder rungs to exit the window if necessary, but since there is a 20 foot drop out that window, chances are they would use the window on the opposite side of the room in the event of a fire since it leads out onto a porch roof and only has a 12 foot drop.

The original plan was to mount some fans right above their hammocks for warmer nights, but they are content to use some of the Honeywell turbo fans on the floor pointing up at their hammocks.

To prevent the rack from rubbing through the Amsteel cord, I ran the cord through a black piece of 1 inch climbing webbing. I purchased several Rubbermaid action-packers to use as storage space under the ends of the hammock, installed some 6500K fluorescent and LED lighting, installed some room darkening roller shades, and purchased some black garage storage cabinets and drawers to add to the illusion that you are inside of a space ship while inside their room.

All together, it turned out really well and the boys are enjoying their room and sleeping in a hammock. One of my sons recently told me that when he wakes up in the morning it takes him a few seconds to realize whether he is camping or in his bedroom because he sleeps in the same type of hammock and sleeps just as well in both situations.

The nice thing about this solution is when the boys grow up and move out, I've got some really nice shelves, cabinets, and drawers that I can repurpose for storage space in my garage. Or maybe I'll just move into their room, since I enjoy sleeping in a hammock too.

Let me know if you have any questions about our setup or if you'd like me to take any measurements or more detailed pictures.

Onidah

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Way cool! I did something similar. uploadfromtaptalk1467351118868.jpg I built a full size loft and strung a DIY from corner to corner. Don't have a very good picture of the loft, but you get the idea. This was actually where i got started making my own gear.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That's a really cool setup! Way to go Dad!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    That is really neat set-up! Awesome job! Like the cargo net style idea for the bunk.

Did the pallet shelving cost about the same as a regular bunk bed or did it come under that price?

Smart idea I say!

Images
    Great idea and I think it looks awesome too. Great job.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Dads like you make the rest of us look like schmucks... Well done!

That room looks awesome. I planned on doing something similar with my son's room with a loft bed, hammock underneath and a rock wall on the one side to get into the loft bed. A drawing is as far as I made it. I worried the span wouldn't be long enough for a comfy hang. 9'x42" gives you ~9.5" diagonal. How old are your boys? This is as far as my project went. Then we just bought a loft bed with futon underneath to be done with it
    Preston Loft Bed.jpg

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    That's so B.A. , nice work!

These are not the beds you're looking for....

The total diagonal distance to hang the hammock in is 116 inches. Using the short Amsteel continuous loops, which make it very easy to take the hammocks down for washing, puts the ends of the hammock 108 inches apart (exactly where they should be for a 132 inch hammock in order to get the right lay angle).

Since I bought the pallet racks new, they were probably slightly more than a bunk bed would have been, but they are much sturdier. There are a lot of used pallet racks around, so you might get lucky finding the right size in your area. The used option would probably be much less than the cost of a bunk bed. My boys are both teenagers, but this configuration would work for kids much younger and adults as well.

The pallet rack beams come in 8, 9, and 10 foot lengths to adjust for smaller spaces or to allow more room for longer hammocks or suspension systems.

Onidah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Awesome! Change that 6500K to ~4000K and I'm happy