Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing

Help with Envy S Hammock

Calling all Envy S owners:

I have a 64" wide 11' Envy S; the build quality is first rate, and I love the over cover net combo. The problem: it is the most uncomfortable hammock I have ever used. I have never experienced calf ridge issues like I am experiencing in this hammock. I have tried varying the height of the foot end and adjusting the hang angle. I have tried hanging it with the ridgeline tight and with the ridgeline loose. It seems no matter what I do I cannot get comfortable. I am 6'2" and I weigh around 205 pounds. I have owned HH Explorer Ultralites and Clark hammocks and currently have a WBRR. Each was or is more comfortable than this hammock.

Like I said, I want to love this hammock, but I cannot even get comfortable on my side or back. Before I give up and sell this thing I would like to get ideas as to what I might do to remedy the comfort issues. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Is it a single or double layer? What material is it? Sometimes its how the body conforms with the material is it possible you need a different lay direction ?
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Single layer right hand lay; it is their ACU camo fabric and I cannot remember the weight.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I'm alot heavier but that material doesn't have the stretch that I think it needs. You can try to shorten the ridgeline or make sure u have alot of sag in it..that's about all u can do with it besides ehat you've done already
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I have wondered the same thing, and your comment reinforces what I have been thinking. Thanks for the insight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    I have wondered the same thing, and your comment reinforces what I have been thinking. Thanks for the insight.
    Hello whmoller,
    I just live a little south of you (C470/Kipling) if you would like to get together sometime for a coffee I could probably help you figure this out.
    I have lead several Co group hangs and help many folks tune there rigs over the years.
    I don't promise a fix but I will bet we can identify the problem and maybe find a solution.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hello whmoller,
    I just live a little south of you (C470/Kipling) if you would like to get together sometime for a coffee I could probably help you figure this out.
    I have lead several Co group hangs and help many folks tune there rigs over the years.
    I don't promise a fix but I will bet we can identify the problem and maybe find a solution.
    There ya go! Nice of you outandback

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Thanks for the offer, but actually I am SW of you by about 90 miles; my folks live in the area you describe. To date I have watched the WB videos, the Hammeck videos, DH videos, Shug videos and played with tree distance, hang height, hang angle, head and foot elevation, tension and the like. I have a few hundred nights in a hammock and used gathered end hammocks with success until I got my RR ( the aforementioned doesn't mean I know it all because I don't, and I am always surprised by what I learn on this forum). My current thoughts (based on last night's attempt to use the hammock until 0130).

- Quality is great, but
    - I suffer a significant amount of shoulder squeeze in this hammock, which I have never experienced before in a gathered end hammock, and
    - While I can come close to eliminating the calf ridge I cannot get rid of it entirely, and when coupled with the shoulder squeeze it makes the hammock uncomfortable for me.
    - I am surprised that even a semi-fetal position does not work.

Maybe I have gotten too used to the comfort of the RR, although like I said I have used HH with great success. I want a gathered end for those times when I want to carry a little bit less, and to use when I take family or friends backpacking (I think the RR is more comfortable for new hammock campers). I suppose I could just get a second RR, but sometimes I just want something different.

Thinking about:

- A DH in 72" width - being communicating with DH re my issues and to see if one of their products might resolve the problems.
    - Clark NX 270 - not sure I like the lay.
    - HH Explorer Ultralite - Good choice, but the over cover in IMP leaves something to be desired.
    - WB XLC - I have tried one, but I had also purchased the RR so did not spend a great deal of time fiddling with it.
    - Hiding in the closet and crying.

Just tried a BMBH UL and did not like the shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Another reason for a gathered end is that I have a 3 season and 4 season UQ from JRB and HG for one. Shame to let these go.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Here's a thought, go to Simply light designs Jared is super fast but he also has stuff on sale, specifically a dl1.3 trail lair. It's a little narrower but for 129 bucKS you can't go wrong . It has double zippers so you can stow the bugnet away when not in use and you get to try out some different material. I suspect this is the problem. He also can make them in wide material, the 1.6 xl is an excellent choice. I know he doesn't do overcover tho, but he does make a hammock sock...check him out or go to the warbonnet promotion page and at the bottom he has blemish ones on sale...of course dream hammocks have a wait time but good reason for it....keep us updated

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast