Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Lite Owl Questions

First off, let me preface this by saying this is in no way a complaint about the Lite Owl or the quality or service from Wilderness Logics, all of that stuff is top notch.

That being said, my first hammock was an ENO DN, is was pretty happy with it, but felt I needed something a tad larger for my size at 6' 2". So after some reading and research, I ordered a WL Lite Owl, and received it promptly. But, for the life of me, I cannot get as comfortable in the LO as I can in the ENO. After much thought, I think it comes down to the fact that for an asymmetric lay I've gained length but given up almost a foot and a half of width (74" in the ENO, vs 58" in the LO). I've played with head and foot height differences, hanging tighter, looser, adjusting the head and foot boxes, etc. The two big issues I'm having are;

1. I feel like the sides are close enough to me that they eventually push me more straight in my sleep, rather than having a good, flat diagonal lay all night.
    2. No matter what I do, I feel like I don't have enough room for my legs without them being smushed together, or crossing them, and I always wake up in the wee hours with bad ankle / foot pain.

Anything I can try before selling it off? Maybe an inflatable pad in the pocket? I really like how well made it is, how small it packs down, and the fact it's made right here in NC and would love nothing more than to get it to work for me.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I ordered a custom Lite Owl from Wilderness Logics, 12x6 Hexon wide 1.6 very comfortable on short naps--first overnight coming this weekend. Very roomy--plenty of foot and leg room. So far, so good! Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCmotard View Post
    First off, let me preface this by saying this is in no way a complaint about the Lite Owl or the quality or service from Wilderness Logics, all of that stuff is top notch.

That being said, my first hammock was an ENO DN, is was pretty happy with it, but felt I needed something a tad larger for my size at 6' 2". So after some reading and research, I ordered a WL Lite Owl, and received it promptly. But, for the life of me, I cannot get as comfortable in the LO as I can in the ENO. After much thought, I think it comes down to the fact that for an asymmetric lay I've gained length but given up almost a foot and a half of width (74" in the ENO, vs 58" in the LO). I've played with head and foot height differences, hanging tighter, looser, adjusting the head and foot boxes, etc. The two big issues I'm having are;

1. I feel like the sides are close enough to me that they eventually push me more straight in my sleep, rather than having a good, flat diagonal lay all night.
    2. No matter what I do, I feel like I don't have enough room for my legs without them being smushed together, or crossing them, and I always wake up in the wee hours with bad ankle / foot pain.

Anything I can try before selling it off? Maybe an inflatable pad in the pocket? I really like how well made it is, how small it packs down, and the fact it's made right here in NC and would love nothing more than to get it to work for me.
    Do you have any pictures of this hammock attached to trees with or without you in it?

I've only been doing this about 3 years so take this with a grain of salt. Have you tried a ridgeline? I've been playing with different ridgeline lengths using an adjustable one. I found for me the lengths had an impact. I'm about 5'9" and aboUT 200. Lite Owl is comfor table for me with no calf ridge. I broke my right foot and found the netting on one of my other hammocks created pain in my right foot just lying on it. I tried the Lite Owl and slightly tensioning the knotty mod by my foot holds the fabric away. Have not woke up with a cramping foot in the Lite OWL. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm only 5'4" but I also found the Owls to be too narrow for me. I don't think there's anything you can do about it after-market. Maybe contact WL and see if they would be willing to upgrade to a wide Owl.

Hammock
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I do not have any pics, sorry. I can get some though. I do have a structural ridgeline as well, so maybe I need to mess with the length on it some. I have a place to hang indoors, going to mess with the SRT and try out my pad in the pocket tonight and see what I can do. I have a trip planned for the long weekend also, so I guess one way or the other I'll find out if it's gonna work for me. Thanks for all the tips.

Just don't get discouraged. The Lite Owl works for me, but it might not work for you. The fabric stretch and other body factors combine for each of us in different ways. The Lite Owl is 58" wide and the XLC is about 63" wide if I remember correctly. For me, I have not perceived a big difference in comfort. If you cannot achieve comfort, I'd speculate the Lite Owl will sell fairly quickly on here.

Hammock
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yeah, I'm not one to give up easily, hence why I'm asking and trying everything before I do.

Also, HillbillyHanger what did you mean by tensioning the knotty mod? Are you referring to the shock cord and cord lock on the foot box, or actually doing something to the gathered end of the hammock?

Yeah, I'm not one to give up easily, hence why I'm asking and trying everything before I do.

Also, HillbillyHanger what did you mean by tensioning the knotty mod? Are you referring to the shock cord and cord lock on the foot box, or actually doing something to the gathered end of the hammock?
    Just playing with how tightly you cinch up the shock cord/cord lock in the foot area. I usually do not tighten mine up very tight, just enough that it creates that wall that helps keep the quilt within the hammock.

Images
    I do not have any pics, sorry. I can get some though. I do have a structural ridgeline as well, so maybe I need to mess with the length on it some. I have a place to hang indoors, going to mess with the SRT and try out my pad in the pocket tonight and see what I can do. I have a trip planned for the long weekend also, so I guess one way or the other I'll find out if it's gonna work for me. Thanks for all the tips.
    A picture will tell us so much more than trying to explain it in words. I don't own an Owl but I do own a snipe which I believe is just a single layer owl and I love it. When I don't need a bug net it is my go to hammock.
    I would not put a RL on it unless you make it very adjustable. I have found my snipe's sweet spot is much nicer when the strap angle is a bit more than the usual 30 degrees. YMMV and you really should experiment with it.
    Throwing out all the 30 degree/83%/raise the foot end x# of inches. Just experiment and see what works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast