Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images

Testing the Waters for a Southeast Alabama hang

Well if I crash and burn, I'm blaming Dhagan. Seriously though, I'm a brand new member here looking for a hang and Dhagan suggested that I start my own. Most embarrassing part of this is I don't own a hammock yet, but if the noob can't find a good hang without breaking the bank, he might as well bring the hang to him. Since there's only one state park near Dothan that allows camping, let's start with that. It's called the Little Chattahoochee State Park, and it's on Highway 84 East on the far side of Gordon AL. It's run by an older couple who are able to have their home on the parkland in exchange for maintaining the area. They're good Christian people, but in case that turns some of you off, they'll leave you be as long as you're not drinking, making enough noise to wake the dead, or taking pock shots at small critters without a license. Their facilities are wonderful! Bathrooms complete with showers and dressing stalls, and their toilet stalls are so clean, you can lay out your dinner and eat on the toilet seats. The dozen or so campsites are strung around a beaver pond extended by an earthen dam, and each have a picnic table, a standing grill, and a metal fire ring. Firewood is plentiful, just bring your axes, hatchets, and saws, and the trees framing the campsites are to this noob, just begging for hammocks. While there are a few hiking trails, think more in terms of fat man friendly. The trails are mostly level, and unless they pass through swampy areas, or have fallen trees, they're probably better described as "nature walk trails". Camping is about $9 a night.

Now you know the place, but what about the hang? Well, since is the first time I've tried to orchestrate a hang, I really could use a lot of advice, but what I'm thinking is to get at least a dozen people onboard so I can call up the Little Chattahoochee State Park and get something started. My assumption is that while the park is open to anyone who wants to camp, we'll want to schedule the hang weeks or even a month ahead of time, and mail in our fees to secure adjacent campsites. Also since we're talking about the Dirty South, it's probably best that we tentatively schedule the hang for early October to ensure we are in fact comfortable as opposed to suffering heat exhaustion, second degree burns, and instant mummification.

Well, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. If you're interested, please reply both on the thread and in a private message. If I hit the magic number 12, the hang is on!
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Your description of the south caused me to literally laugh out loud! Welcome to the forum!

I've done my share of hammock camping just over the fla line in cottondale and good grief! The mosquitoes in those swampy areas are killer.

If I'm not mistaken, the bama hang is in October as it is. Generally up near Sipsey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No fan of south Alabama? That's where I spent my formative years - that place is in my blood.

Good luck organizing your first hang.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No fan of south Alabama? That's where I spent my formative years - that place is in my blood.

Good luck organizing your first hang.
    I used to hate Dothan so much that I drove halfway across the country to get away from Alabama, but a year in Texas made the heart grow fonder. While I still hold a particularly intense disdain for living in Dothan, I'll never leave south Alabama again because it's my home. The people are wonderful, the countryside beautiful, and the small towns welcoming, close-knit communities that make you feel like you just stepped 50 years into the past. The whole thing about the dirty south may harken back to my earlier hatred for living in Dothan, but it's really just a joke. Like you, SilvrSurfr, this area is in my blood.
    Last edited by LowTekk; 06-29-2016 at 21:23.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    Your description of the south caused me to literally laugh out loud! Welcome to the forum!

I've done my share of hammock camping just over the fla line in cottondale and good grief! The mosquitoes in those swampy areas are killer.

If I'm not mistaken, the bama hang is in October as it is. Generally up near Sipsey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the welcome, MrsKD! Looks like ya got the joke. Poor SilvrSurfr just couldn't see it. As far as the Bama hang is concerned, that's about 4 hours away from me and I'm on a fixed income. It's all I'll be able to do to get my new hammock and bug net. Tarp will have to be a Walmart special. While I wish I could go, I just won't be able to spare the fuel. If it seems that my proposed hang is going to conflict with the Bama hang, I can always schedule it either a couple weeks earlier or later so people won't have to worry about choosing between them. Concerning the mosquitoes, they're pretty bad at the Little Chattahoochee state park because all the campsites are clustered around an enlarged beaver pond. If you want to attend, bring your bug net and Deet-based mosquito repellant.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    The forum member, gunner76 has volunteered to write up an online registration form for the hang, which I'd like to name after the park. It should be available in a day or two. In the meantime, I'd like to update the information on the actual pricing per person as stated by Kim, the co-manager of the Little Chattahoochee state park. No money needs to be given to me(which is a relief), and the requisite fee of $7 per person per night can be placed in the drop box across from the park managers' home on arrival. Tentative scheduling is for Saturday, October 1st through Sunday October 2nd, but out of respect for any who may wish to attend the Bama Hang which I hear is also in October, if there's a scheduling conflict, we can reschedule for the following weekend. Any such scheduling however must be made official by September 1st to ensure that I can reserve the best hanging spots.

Here's to hoping the Little Chattahoochee Hang takes off!

Update: Guest signup for the Little Chattahoochee Hang is online thanks to gunner76. Roll on over to the following address to sign up! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by LowTekk; 06-30-2016 at 20:38.

Hammock
    WildHorn Outfitters
    Tarp
    Walkabout Rain Fly
    Insulation
    LLG Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Webbing and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTekk View Post
    I used to hate Dothan so much that I drove halfway across the country to get away from Alabama, but a year in Texas made the heart grow fonder. While I still hold a particularly intense disdain for living in Dothan, I'll never leave south Alabama again because it's my home. The people are wonderful, the countryside beautiful, and the small towns welcoming, close-knit communities that make you feel like you just stepped 50 years into the past. The whole thing about the dirty south may harken back to my earlier hatred for living in Dothan, but it's really just a joke. Like you, SilvrSurfr, this area is in my blood.
    Why the hatred for The Wiregrass? I lived in Dothan thru my 20's and grew quite fond of it. I still like to go back and visit when I can. But I grew in a small NW Alabama town that can be compared to Headland maybe.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone71 View Post
    Why the hatred for The Wiregrass? I lived in Dothan thru my 20's and grew quite fond of it. I still like to go back and visit when I can. But I grew in a small NW Alabama town that can be compared to Headland maybe.
    I guess what you call hatred for the Wiregrass is merely bad memories and the equally bad taste they leave in the mouth. When I was a kid, I quickly ran afoul of the good ol' boys running the bureaucracies here and suffered their abuse all the way into adulthood. Took me ten years and a trip to Texas to realize it really was a good place to live. Those petty thugs that are still alive are either too old and decrepit to hurt anyone, or cooling their heels in prison, so I don't let them bother me much any more. I enjoy good standing in my community and good friends that will stand with me until my last breath, and if I have my way, I'll be taking that breath right here. Sometimes the past still leaves me bitter, but this is my home, and nobody's going to run me out again.

Hammock
    WildHorn Outfitters
    Tarp
    Walkabout Rain Fly
    Insulation
    LLG Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Webbing and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTekk View Post
    I guess what you call hatred for the Wiregrass is merely bad memories and the equally bad taste they leave in the mouth. When I was a kid, I quickly ran afoul of the good ol' boys running the bureaucracies here and suffered their abuse all the way into adulthood. Took me ten years and a trip to Texas to realize it really was a good place to live. Those petty thugs that are still alive are either too old and decrepit to hurt anyone, or cooling their heels in prison, so I don't let them bother me much any more. I enjoy good standing in my community and good friends that will stand with me until my last breath, and if I have my way, I'll be taking that breath right here. Sometimes the past still leaves me bitter, but this is my home, and nobody's going to run me out again.
    I see. Seems like I read something a while back about some law enforcement and city officials being held accountable for some kind of cover-up scam that dates back to the early 90's or 80's. Glad you're doing well, brother!

Not sure I could make the trek across the state for the hang you're putting together, but I will keep my eye on it just in case.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    The rumors of the Little Chattahoochee Hang's demise are highly exaggerated. Despite computer problems that were irritatingly difficult to track down, not to mention the requisite expenses involved in replacement parts, the hang is still on! I've managed to acquire a few extra bits of cheap gear(thank you Harbor Freight!), and now how a way to put up my hammock in the back yard, where one of only the two available trees happens to be a 60 year old oak with a trunk wider than a car. Also have a cheap tarp to keep me and my gear dry, not to mention a few ideas for the upcoming hang. Biggest thing I've been thinking about is what to have for dinner. Regarding that, how about an old fashioned pot luck? At the moment, I'm leaning toward bringing hobos, somewhat traditional woods recipe my dad taught me, which involves a hamburger patty, chopped potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and onion, seasoned to taste, and wrapped up in foil. These can be pre-cooked at home, or simply placed in the coals for one to two hours, depending on the amount of food in the foil packets.

Anyway, I'm going to be waiting until the 15th to see if I'm going to get enough people for the hang, and if I even get five or six, I'll go ahead and reserve the best camp sites. Look forward to seeing some of you guys in person and swapping good food while swingin' in our hammocks.

• + New Posts