Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    ENO Blaze
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

DIY - Ripstop by the roll Winter Tarp

So was working from home with Shug rambling on in the background... (kids watching him ofcourse) and I decided to go dink around with my tarp. There's a bit of rain today and I wanted to test it out anyways.

So here's my DIY SilPoly PU4000 tarp with doors that I built from the Ripstopbytheroll instructions and kit. Ridge line is 12' so pleanty of coverage and over 8' wide. Weight came in at 21.75oz. The stuff sack was made of the left over Ripstop nylon so it could be a little lighter. I actually like the elongated stuff sack as it fits in the back mesh pocket of my pack really well.

20160628_172448.jpg

I posted a pic of it up over a hammock. It was great having the coverage because there was a good down pour that night. Unfortunately my oldest son was using it and I didn't get a change to see it in action that night.

unnamed.jpg

Here's another pic of it in porch mode. I'm looking forward to getting it out in the backwoods.

diy tarp with doors and bugnet hammock.jpg

So today, I decided to throw it up in ground mode. Try to get a feel for what it would look like. I'm using some Walmart hiking poles.... $4 each! Can't beat that, think it was clearance for previous year model. Unfortunately they are a bit short, I'd really like to have had another foot or two. Oh well.

20160628_174321.jpg

After getting it pitches right my son decided to join me with the mutt. This will give you a good perspective of how huge this thing really is. He was so excited, there's a good chance I may end up outside tonight with him. (Not sure why it's rotated like it is....)

under the tarp.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    11' hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    10x12 xenon
    Insulation
    Pad & Quilt
    Looks sweet. I'm especially digging the color.

Was there a reason you used the pu4000 coating instead of the regular one? Also, did you use the MEMBRANE poly? I'm into this project and want to see the weight of that fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Kryptec GrandTrunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    ENO Blaze
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes I did use the membrane silpoly. It's way light, almost as light as my cube hex tarp. That weight included 6 guylines, snake skins made of the same material and the stuff sack. No stakes included.

I went with the PU4000 just for extra water proofing. No other reason really.

Fabric is really really light. I was afraid it would rip but holds up pretty good so far. It did catch the needle a couple of times but it was my first sewing project and was not too surprised by it. Little silicon and patch fixed it up.

• + New Posts