Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

Retrofitting Continuous Loops

I already had the straps and whoopie slings so ordered both out Dutch hammocks without suspension. He sends them out with a cable tie. I larks-head the Whoopie onto the throat inboard of the cable tie and am good to go. Makes it difficult to adjust whoopie since larks-head really bits in so I will be adding Continuous Loops (CL).

I am thinking I clip the cable tie, and thread loop through channel and when it pops out just pass the one loop through the other. Seems simple enough but I wanted to ask quickly in case I am missing something. I think this is different than if I ordered the hammocks with suspension, I suspect Dutch has the CL made as part of the hammock so that there is only one line through the channel where I will have two? Should be ok though.

jh

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Your CL setup is correct. If you chose to stay with your current non-CL combo, larks-head the non-adjusting end of your whoopie sling to the hammock.

My whoopies are threaded through my end channels and then larks headed. It doesn't affect adjustability.

Cut cable tie, thread whoopie through end channel, larks head adjustable loop through non adjustable loop. Non-adjustbale loop tightens against end channel.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    My whoopies are threaded through my end channels and then larks headed. It doesn't affect adjustability.
    Now that's an idea. Currently the non-adjustable end of my whoopies are wrapped through cinch buckles. If I switch to marlin spike this would work. I love the cinch buckles with their adjust ability - but will still have that with the whoopie.

Thanks folks

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I already had the straps and whoopie slings so ordered both out Dutch hammocks without suspension. He sends them out with a cable tie. I larks-head the Whoopie onto the throat inboard of the cable tie and am good to go. Makes it difficult to adjust whoopie since larks-head really bits in so I will be adding Continuous Loops (CL).

I am thinking I clip the cable tie, and thread loop through channel and when it pops out just pass the one loop through the other. Seems simple enough but I wanted to ask quickly in case I am missing something. I think this is different than if I ordered the hammocks with suspension, I suspect Dutch has the CL made as part of the hammock so that there is only one line through the channel where I will have two? Should be ok though.

jh
    I received a Dutch hammock with the cable tie just like you describe. I use continuous loops on the ends. I first tried to see about larks heading around the end with the cable tie in it. I did not like it. The ends are triple sown with a wide channel and it bunches up in what I would call a "weird" way compared to the more narrow channels on a GE hammock not designed to be suspended by the channel. I then removed the zip tie and put the CL through it. I found the lay of the hammock more comfortable that way. It is also slightly longer which might also add some comfort.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Yes, that is what I am thinking. Removing the zip tie and threading CL through existing dutch-strong channel.

We actually had one zip tie remove itself - a larks-head was not positioned well with the ridge-line. Sitting next to daughter we heard a pop and she dropped 3 inches to the ground. Cable tie was snapped. Not sure what happened, was not attaching to cable tie but choking the gathered end inboard of it. Chalking it up to user error. I think if I thread the CL's through it would reduce chances of this error.

Gradually learning if I just ordered with suspension I'd be where I am going when I started ;<). But fun to experiment along the way.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have several gathered-end hammocks, and a couple from Dutch. I always thought the zip-tie was just a temporary thing, and immediately cut it and ran a continuous loop through the channel.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I really don't think that the cable ties are intended to use to hang your hammock, not sure why Dutch puts them on and i have seen other venders do it as well but i for one would not trust them to hold anyone.

I have to imagine the zip tie is there to make it easier on you to thread your own CL or whoopie through the channel. Not to be used.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Whoa-whoa there...

Not connecting to zip tie at all for suspension. Zip tie gathers the end. I larks-head the whoopie onto the gathered end inboard of the zip tie. Zip tie not used for any weight bearing application. The tie is just a convenience that keeps the end gathered.

From this thread my question has been answered - I can thread a CL through the channel and remove the zip tie.

Many thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast