HH /DIY
    Tarp
    Dunno
    Insulation
    Quilts?
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New Guy from NY (not the city :)

I thought I posted an introduction a while back but I don't see it, nor have been here in a while so it is probably worth posting anyway.

I grew up in farm country and parents were not big fans of scouting or camping. My dad was a scout so I read his books over and over and taught myself tons of stuff in the orchard behind our house (my woods). After the military a friend invited me to join him on a short hike on the Interloken Trail (1mile) and an over night in winter. He is a super ultralight kind of guy and I only has some army surplus gear A.L.I.C.E pack, 15° pack that had been compressed for 2 years, thermarest pad and what I was wearing. It was a major failure I slept for terribly and in spurts and we only used two tarps one to block wind one for the ground to be moisture break from snow. I began a love affair with camping in the woods in winter that night. We talked about gear and he showed me what he had and gave some recommendations and I began researching ultralight gear. He moved and there went my connection to the woods and camping.

In college some buddies got me into hiking using "Secret Places". So I started getting some gear together and doing a bunch more hiking. I convince my girlfriend that I really wanted to be hiking and camping people she was for it but we have been limited to the public camp grounds where it is basically car camping. After some sore backs and stiff joints the thrill of camping dwindled. I had planned to propose on a camping trip. With ring in pocket we arrived at the campgrounds when the rain started and wasn't planning on letting up for 4 days. We got a cabin, was not going to pitch the tent on the soaking wet ground, she had fun I proposed. We were not crazy about the idea of "camping" in a cabin. Short story long I got to researching and found hammock-ing and bought a Hennessy the night before I got married I tried an over night and ended up on my parents couch. After a few years I found myself here and on Shug's Youtube channel and started drinking in the loads of knowledge.

When I'm no longer a poor college student I plan to DIY a couple sets of gear and give it a real shot. Since it is cheap and plentiful I have already drank a few Fosters saved a dozen of my cats empty tins and some Aluminum bottle brews alcohol stoves are in my future.

One thing still stumping me is how to source trails and that info. I look forward to hanging and meeting other hangers on the trails.
    Last edited by campacker; 06-28-2016 at 16:48.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Welcome neighbor. For trails, this list http://www.stateparks.com/ny.html will get you started. The other major places are the FLT, Catskills, Adirondacks. There is also a lot of trails to your south in PA. See you on the trail.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Alltrails.com has some good info. I use their app on my phone too. This forum is also excellent for trail recommendations.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Going along with DuctTape, there are a lot of trails close by to go backpacking/camping. I love the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT). It starts at the NY/PA border and goes across the state. It goes through Allegheny State Park, an hour South of us, Letchworth an hour East of us and also has a bunch of branch trails. Last summer we did the Interloken trail which is a branch trail of the FLT in the Finger Lakes region. Then there is Allegheny NF in PA. It really depends on how far you want to travel to start. But tons of places that are within 1-2 hours away.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Welcome! I'm about 40 miles west of Albany, and a 30 minute drive from the Southern Dacks, or the Northern Catskills

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    HG/pad and bag
    Suspension
    Straps
    Welcome to the forum form a fellow NY'er (NOT the city). I am a big fan of the NY and PA trails and waters. I am just a short drive away from the FLT so that is where most of my hikes happen.

You will find that that this forum has a great group of folks with a bunch of knowledge.

Perhaps I will see you on the trail!
    Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! --www.chipperoutdoors.com-- or ---facebook---

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Welcome from the Finger Lakes!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Starry Night
    Insulation
    LL down quilts
    Suspension
    Beetles/huggers
    Images
    Welcome form the Finger Lakes!

• + New Posts