Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    HG Dutchware 40
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Animal Protection in a Hammock

During my very first hang in the woods last year, I was pretty certain that a wild boar was roaming around my site. Every time I heard a shuffle in the brush I was certain I was going to get jammed by a tusk in my backside... Which, of course, never happened.

I have read that there is a psychological difference between tent and hammock camping, and being in the open instead of inside a tent can be "scarier" for some.

I was wondering, what do people do to stay protected from animals, other humans, etc? Do any of you carry weapons? Do you keep them in your hammock with you? Or are you content with the idea that if a hungry bear, pack of zombies, or Bigfoot comes along while you are in your hammock then it is what it is?

I have considered bringing a bigger knife, but knives are frowned on in Japan. Guns are illegal. I have also considered a slingshot... But it is just a slingshot. Don't know how great it would be for protection.

Besides smart planning, knowing what roams the areas you camp, etc, how do you protect yourself when hanging?

The biggest threat in the woods isn't animals. It's other people. Hogs won't do anything but run from you unless you are actively trying to get between a sow and her piglets. Bear attacks are rare and can mostly be avoided by minimizing food odors. I avoid snakes by watching where I step. The only thing in the woods that bothers me is the lowly tick.

Being safe from animals is more a matter of attitude. We are apex predators. Animals know that and act accordingly. Be confident and sleep well. Enjoy the wildlife you do see.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I agree 100%----I've spent many, many nights alone in the woods in a hammock---only seen a bear a couple of times, most of the time all I see are a few deer, squirrels, lizards and chipmunks! Sounds get amplified at night in the woods--a squirrel can sound like a bear etc. (its easy to let your imagination run wild!) Pick a good campsite, if you are worried about people-stealth camp or pick a time when youre pretty sure you will be alone like in the middle of the week-and just be aware of your surroundings--don't step on a snake etc. You will be fine! (if you have trouble sleeping, wear earplugs!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Ear plugs will stop most of those sounds from hurting you.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I carry protection, but it mainly due to concerns over two legged creatures. In the last two months, I have had a bear, coyote, fox, deer, turkey, opossum and possibly wild hog (just heard him, didn't see) really close to my hammock. They are usually just passing through doing their thing.

Number one rule: don't smell like food. I never have food near my hammock and wear clean clothes to sleep, if possible.

Getting to see animals is one reason I like hammock camping. I won't wear earplugs, though. I would rather be able to hear a possible threat. It's amazing how quiet these animals can be. I didn't hear this bear until he was about 10 feet from me. By the time I got the phone up to video him, he had moved to about 15 yards away, which made me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Please note this thread is being monitored. Any discussion of firearms, what you carry, how you store it in your hammock, etc etc will cause this thread to be closed and removed. Keep the conversation focused on protection that does not include firearms and it will remain open.

Below is direct quote from the Terms of Service.

IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster.

This normally applies to issues that most members can agree are contentious...gun rights and carry laws, differences in religion, political elections and candidates, etc. As the site has grown, other topics have begun to generate more political posts...including military appreciation threads. No matter what we think about the soldiers, the military's role in society and the proper level of support for its members are certainly political viewpoints. If we allow HF members to post support for the military, it would only be fair to let the differing opinions be posted as well...and that would quickly degenerate into political discussion, and probably result in a heated and emotional thread that would spill over into the other subforums (as we experienced on whiteblaze.net before starting this site). Since HF's mission is to provide a friendly community to discuss hammocks, discussion of the military detracts from our primary objective. Therefore, we will consider threads about the military to be political in nature, and will remove them accordingly.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    to deal with the psychology; you just gotta go hang and evaluate your unmolested survival as reassurance.

and i have dewey.....

sv-

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I feel that when you go backpacking you have chosen to enter the domain of wild critters. Keep a clean camp and best not to worry about it too much. The constant worry will ruin your trip.
    It can happen of course but just like entering a neighborhood where you may not be welcome, don't have a chip on your shoulder.
    Nature will dictate the outcome.
    Bear spray, a loud air-horn or a very bright 750 lumen light may deter animals.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    reflective foam
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    Ear plugs will stop most of those sounds from hurting you.
    +1 on the ear plugs. I use them when in a tent, in a hotel room, in a hammock as well as home. I'm a very light sleeper so even when the wind blows harder, I wake up. Last year in Kentucky I slept through a wave of thunderstorms that caused a river to flow under me and never woke up from the sounds because of the plugs. I'm a firm believer in "when it happens, it happens" so if it happens in my sleep then that's the way it is.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    I don't use this, but if you're a skiddish one it may bring you some peace of mind.
    http://m.basspro.com/Personal-Securi...ct/1502161633/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast